Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should other religions be added to this thread?

No
Only Judeism
Only Islam
Yes to both Judeism and Islam

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 185

Author Topic: Christian beliefs and discussion  (Read 189926 times)

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
Re: Christian beliefs and discussion
« Reply #405 on: September 22, 2014, 10:53:54 pm »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't Bible verses that contradict each other be subject to a sort of priority system? As Christians, those teachings taught directly by Jesus should be paramount, the Ten Commandments next, then those of his closest apostles and then the Old Testament, particularly Leviticus. <--- If someone thinks I've put these in the wrong order, please correct me. Jesus himself was pretty egalitarian towards women and taught of love and acceptance.

Interesting with the slant of Biblical verses towards male homosexuality. I personally think this is because most of the people who wrote those verses were somewhat very biased towards men and didn't consider women important enough to mention or something to that effect. Jesus, who, as I mentioned above, was pretty liberal towards women never[At least that I recall. Once again, please correct me if I'm wrong.] actually condemned homosexuality, male or female.

Actually, from what I remember[Been a while since I actually read that part in detail], Mose's laws mandated treating slaves well, which was about as liberal as that really got back then and the New Testament passage seems to be more of a "Turn the other cheek" thing. Jesus was big on teaching by example peacefully.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 10:55:32 pm by Arcvasti »
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: September 22, 2014, 11:00:52 pm »

I do not believe slavery is a current issue in our world

Though if I were a slave and being forced to work the rest of my life I would do as that verse says

As for the first verse, there is international law against slavery and other parts of the bible say to follow law so slaver is no longer a needed subject to discuss

If this were a different time however and I owned slaves I would treat them as it says to treat them, as property. Now keep in mind I don't mean this in a bad way. Do you ever see someone who is in their right mind bashing their xbox with a sledge hammer? Or how's about someone take an axe to their car?
No, you see people trying to get their gaming systems working better. They try to keep their cars in pristine running condition as best they can. So if I owned slaves (which I don't plan on) I would try to keep them as healthy as possible and great them as the human beings they are
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: September 22, 2014, 11:04:52 pm »

I do not believe slavery is a current issue in our world.

Its still around, mostly in less developed countries and is very nasty. However, in Europe/North America/Australia, it is much less of an issue. Mostly agree with the rest of your post though.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: September 22, 2014, 11:06:03 pm »

When I stated that I meant in the developed world, should have been more clear

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: September 22, 2014, 11:06:12 pm »

So theoretically, if slavery wasn't outlawed you'd be fine with it? Just another possession you could have (of course you'd be sure to clothe and feed them).
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: September 22, 2014, 11:10:50 pm »

So theoretically, if slavery wasn't outlawed you'd be fine with it? Just another possession you could have (of course you'd be sure to clothe and feed them).
It's not around so I can't clearly state how I would act with it present

I do have a problem with forced labor but if slaves were treated as I would treat a slave (more like a modern day servant- half decent food, half decent bed, not terribly hard work, and nice discussions with owner) I honestly wouldn't mind being a slave.

I do not agree with the mistreatment of such persons but as long as they are being treated decently like humans and they don't mind doing what they do, I have no problem with it

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: September 22, 2014, 11:15:23 pm »

I imagine many slaves don't want to be slaves, even if they are well treated. The vast majority, perhaps. Many slaves back in the older days weren't voluntarily slaves- nor in these days. Are you okay with that?
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: September 22, 2014, 11:17:55 pm »

I imagine many slaves don't want to be slaves, even if they are well treated. The vast majority, perhaps. Many slaves back in the older days weren't voluntarily slaves- nor in these days. Are you okay with that?

No I'm not

But do I own slaves? No
Do I know someone who owns slaves? No

Is there anything I can physically do about the problem? No

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: September 22, 2014, 11:21:55 pm »

It really doesn't matter which translation you use.
... not a single solitary one of those specified female homosexual relations as unnatural. They just stated some variation of "unnatural" with no further explanation, which leaves quite a lot of room for interpretation. Some did specify male homosexual relations as a problem. Given the difference, I'd expect that to mean they're talking about different things. Otherwise there would be no need to specifically reference male homosexuality.

And beyond that particular verse, the vast majority (not exactly saying much, to be fair, when there's something like six or seven mentions in the entire text) of references to homosexuality are very specifically in regards to male, and generally even more specifically male prostitution.

It appears as if I misconstrued you when you mentioned the different translations. I was under the impression that you were referring to the fact that some translations are more focused in their condemnations (i.e. I believe 1 Corinthians 6:9 references "those who practice homosexuality" in NRSV, whereas it may be less precise in other translations). In essence, it seems as if I thought you were bringing two issues, when you were actually bringing only one.

How is this discussion even occurring!
Because it's not as straightforward as you're saying. Likewise doesn't imply that males were also indulging in homosexuality as the women were -- likewise just states they were also engaging in unnatural acts, for which homosexuality is mentioned only in reference to men.
I can't agree with your analysis. Whether your Bible says "likewise," "also," or "in the same way," the two verses are inherently connected. When it says, "For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature" the picture becomes clear when put into the context provided by the following verse.

As for slavery, Curse of Ham (which was more of an invention by Southerners than anything) aside, the New Testament orders for good treatment of slaves. Nowhere does it say "thou shalt keep slaves," and I honestly don't think that such a thing is what God intends for man to do. I believe that Timothy's neutrality to slavery is to keep from demanding an entire people to give up their customs overnight.
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: September 22, 2014, 11:22:50 pm »

BTW
There is international law against slavery now a days and in the bible so where that I'll find later
It says to follow the laws of the land unless they contradict the laws of the bible

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: September 22, 2014, 11:29:05 pm »

This thread is a good honeypot for homophobes.

And misogynists I guess.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: September 22, 2014, 11:34:57 pm »

He stated his initial beliefs about homosexuality ("Hey sad person, you're a sinner and god disapproves") after somebody who was not talking to Cryxis mentioned it in in the sad thread. Cryxis created this thread because he wanted to talk more about his religious beliefs.
I think he intended this thread to be a place to discuss the issue to keep it from leaking further into the thread, or into others. I'd say its a nice thread to have one way or another.

Still, I was not present in the sad thread when the early discussion occurred, so I can neither defend nor support whatever Cryxis might have said. I do not intend to go wading through such a large and fast-growing thread to look for it, either. Could you, perchance, provide quotes?

You can click on the link for the quotes and read the rest of the thread from there if you'd like more of what Cryxis was saying. He, uh, stands by what he said.
Spoiler: The first three quotes (click to show/hide)
I've played some mafia.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: September 22, 2014, 11:43:41 pm »

He stated his initial beliefs about homosexuality ("Hey sad person, you're a sinner and god disapproves") after somebody who was not talking to Cryxis mentioned it in in the sad thread. Cryxis created this thread because he wanted to talk more about his religious beliefs.
I think he intended this thread to be a place to discuss the issue to keep it from leaking further into the thread, or into others. I'd say its a nice thread to have one way or another.

Still, I was not present in the sad thread when the early discussion occurred, so I can neither defend nor support whatever Cryxis might have said. I do not intend to go wading through such a large and fast-growing thread to look for it, either. Could you, perchance, provide quotes?

You can click on the link for the quotes and read the rest of the thread from there if you'd like more of what Cryxis was saying. He, uh, stands by what he said.
Spoiler: The first three quotes (click to show/hide)
From reading the posts, it looks as if it began by him trying to defend his view, then the thing snowballed from there. I will agree that he certainly didn't act with very much tact while on that thread.
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: September 23, 2014, 04:24:57 am »

And misogynists I guess.
I haven't seen any actual homophobia. It's just the "Hate the sin, love the sinner" mentality which is understandable since it's their beliefs. I mean, let's say that homosexuality is a bad thing in my eyes and let's compare it to smoking. I think smoking is bad, and I want to discourage people from smoking, but I wouldn't be oppressing smokers.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: September 23, 2014, 04:59:24 am »

And misogynists I guess.
I haven't seen any actual homophobia. It's just the "Hate the sin, love the sinner" mentality which is understandable since it's their beliefs. I mean, let's say that homosexuality is a bad thing in my eyes and let's compare it to smoking. I think smoking is bad, and I want to discourage people from smoking, but I wouldn't be oppressing smokers.

You 'think' it's bad, or you know that it's bad because of a scientific consensus?
I've played some mafia.

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 185