Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should other religions be added to this thread?

No
Only Judeism
Only Islam
Yes to both Judeism and Islam

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 185

Author Topic: Christian beliefs and discussion  (Read 189924 times)

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
Re: Christian beliefs and discussion
« Reply #375 on: September 22, 2014, 09:34:50 pm »

The bit about ancestors was about original sin, and besides, there's plenty of "curse you and your children to the 7th generation" (or whatever) in the bible, even without that. But it was mainly to do with original sin. :v At any rate, it's still scapegoating.

Anyway, there's nothing exclusively complimentary about a female mind and a male mind. Two same-gender people are fully capable of having the interplay, leap, and dance of minds that is a romantic couple. The sex bit is just icing on the cake. Er... No pun intended.

To think otherwise would be to delve into stereotyping, "Women are like this, men are like that, and never the t'wain shall mix!" Which... going out into a crowd of people and actually *paying attention* to the people around you would be more than enough to dispel that myth into the dustbin.

And there's no other reason I can think of to think men and women are the only possible couple besides something complimentary. The physical apparatus are just fiddly details, they... really don't matter beyond attraction.

While this is true outside of Christian belief (or at least as mine goes) inside of my belief two people can only get married and have children and be attracted to each other so much if they are a man and a woman and if they get married under the eyes of god and (but not necessarily needed) the church
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: September 22, 2014, 09:37:32 pm »

Why is your belief that way, Cryxis? We've already covered how you think infertile marriage is fine, so why do you have this specific obsession with same gender marriage? Why does your god have this obsession, if he's okay with infertile marriage but only so long as both of the infertile people are different genders?

Also, how do you feel about a fertile man marrying an infertile woman, or vice versa? Sinful as hell, right?
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #377 on: September 22, 2014, 09:38:40 pm »

So, 1 Corinthians chapter 7 talks about marriage. The reason given is pretty much "get married so that you don't have sex outside of marriage", which seems a little circular, but there you go.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: September 22, 2014, 09:42:30 pm »

The idea of marriage being specifically for procreation is not found in the Bible, to my knowledge. Such a concept is likely linked to the individual ideas of local churches and congregations.
Is there any reason given for marriage beyond authorial fiat in the bible?

What the Bible does say is that man and woman are intended to come together to form one, something that is not present in Sodomous relationships.
This, though, not necessarily true. A heterosexual married couple is perfectly capable of sodomizing one another. Similarly, homosexual relationships don't necessarily involve sodomy* -- hell, female homosexual relationships are relatively unlikely unlikely to, to say nothing of male homosexual relationships that don't involve acts of sodomy.

... female homosexual relationships are also mentioned very little in biblical texts, iirc. Leviticus liked the ladies, I guess.

*Depending on how you define it -- the original meaning was strictly anal, so it's probably best to use that in reference to biblical strictures.
To clarify, I was referring to "Sodomy" in reference to Sodom and Gomorrah, not to anal/oral sex. I suppose I should have been more precise in my wording. As for the reason for marriage, there isn't too much about it other than it being a commandment by God in Genesis. I suppose marriage is both to bring a man and a woman into a loving relationship and to create offspring.

Why is your belief that way, Cryxis? We've already covered how you think infertile marriage is fine, so why do you have this specific obsession with same gender marriage? Why does your god have this obsession, if he's okay with infertile marriage but only so long as both of the infertile people are different genders?
I think its pretty assumptive to claim that he has "an obsession" with the issue; it gets brought up, and he responds to it. As for God, I cannot hope to speak for Him, but I believe that this "obsession" of His is simply because it is a sin.
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: September 22, 2014, 09:45:23 pm »

Also, how do you feel about a fertile man marrying an infertile woman, or vice versa? Sinful as hell, right?

No it's not sinful

As I also stated god wanted man and woman to bond in holy marriage to create a similar bond as what god wanted with man(as a race)

I feel like I've stated my belief that marriage is left for men and women only and that I am not well studied in why and other similar circumstances

Why do you keep hammering a nail that is already driven as deep as it will go?!?

It's starting to hurt

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #380 on: September 22, 2014, 09:47:20 pm »

So here is a question, if someone was born a man then changed genders to a woman, who could they marry?

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #381 on: September 22, 2014, 09:50:52 pm »

So here is a question, if someone was born a man then changed genders to a woman, who could they marry?
I don't think it matters at that point.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: September 22, 2014, 09:51:31 pm »

I feel like I've stated my belief that marriage is left for men and women only and that I am not well studied in why and other similar circumstances

So basically- same gender marriage should not be allowed 'because my preacher says so'?
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: September 22, 2014, 09:55:34 pm »

So basically- same gender marriage should not be allowed 'because my preacher says so'?

Because it's a sin in gods eyes in my belief

I'm not well studied in the infertility part not the same sex marriage
If you've payed attention to any of my posts you would know my position on the same sex marriage thing

Can you stop beating the dead horse now?

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: September 22, 2014, 09:55:59 pm »

Depending on whom you were to ask, it would remain a man, become a woman, or be something else entirely. Unfortunately, God didn't make His opinion on the matter as clear as He did for homosexuality.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: September 22, 2014, 10:00:26 pm »

I think its pretty assumptive to claim that he has "an obsession" with the issue; it gets brought up, and he responds to it. As for God, I cannot hope to speak for Him, but I believe that this "obsession" of His is simply because it is a sin.

He stated his initial beliefs about homosexuality ("Hey sad person, you're a sinner and god disapproves") after somebody who was not talking to Cryxis mentioned it in in the sad thread. Cryxis created this thread because he wanted to talk more about his religious beliefs.

If you've payed attention to any of my posts you would know my position on the same sex marriage thing

You're not being consistent. We've talked about why you believe god thinks it's a sin, but logically concluding these things leads to things which you disagree with- so it essentially comes down to 'my preacher says god doesn't like gays', because that's the only rationalisation you have for believing homosexuality is a sin.

You can either justify your beliefs (and no, you haven't really justified them in any consistent way) or you can say that you just have them for no reason, but otherwise the discussion doesn't really stop at your say so.
I've played some mafia.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: September 22, 2014, 10:07:37 pm »

He stated his initial beliefs about homosexuality ("Hey sad person, you're a sinner and god disapproves") after somebody who was not talking to Cryxis mentioned it in in the sad thread. Cryxis created this thread because he wanted to talk more about his religious beliefs.
I think he intended this thread to be a place to discuss the issue to keep it from leaking further into the thread, or into others. I'd say its a nice thread to have one way or another.

Still, I was not present in the sad thread when the early discussion occurred, so I can neither defend nor support whatever Cryxis might have said. I do not intend to go wading through such a large and fast-growing thread to look for it, either. Could you, perchance, provide quotes?

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: September 22, 2014, 10:08:43 pm »

You're not being consistent. We've talked about why you believe god thinks it's a sin, but logically concluding these things leads to things which you disagree with- so it essentially comes down to 'my preacher says god doesn't like gays', because that's the only rationalisation you have for believing homosexuality is a sin.

You can either justify your beliefs (and no, you haven't really justified them in any consistent way) or you can say that you just have them for no reason, but otherwise the discussion doesn't really stop at your say so.

This thread is for anybody wanting to share their Christian beliefs

And yes I have given verses which support my belief and if you keep asking me to justify myself I will ignore it because it's getting annoying that I can't justify myself without having to justify myself for justifying myself

Leviticus 18:22

You shall not lie with a male as with a woman; it is an abomination.

1 Corinthians 6:9-11

Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. And such were some of you. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.

Romans 1:26-28

For this reason God gave them up to dishonorable passions. For their women exchanged natural relations for those that are contrary to nature; and the men likewise gave up natural relations with women and were consumed with passion for one another, men committing shameless acts with men and receiving in themselves the due penalty for their error. And since they did not see fit to acknowledge God, God gave them up to a debased mind to do what ought not to be done.

There now that I've given scripture on why I beleive the way I do can you stop telling me to repeat what I've already said?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: September 22, 2014, 10:10:26 pm »

Interesting -- some of those actually have different translations than more broad ones.

It's good to know, by your text, female homosexuality's alright. It's something.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: September 22, 2014, 10:12:38 pm »

Interesting -- some of those actually have different translations than more broad ones.

It's good to know, by your text, female homosexuality's alright. It's something.

Female sexuality isn't alright
Though I guess it's in how you read it 
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 185