Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should other religions be added to this thread?

No
Only Judeism
Only Islam
Yes to both Judeism and Islam

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 185

Author Topic: Christian beliefs and discussion  (Read 189685 times)

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoes cancels Drink: Intensified by Penguin Man.
    • View Profile
Re: Christian beliefs and homosexuality
« Reply #60 on: September 18, 2014, 09:42:43 pm »

After getting chewed out in the original discussion, I'm not really sure it's such a great idea to get involved in another one, but I'm a wild dude, I guess.

If there was a god, Judeo-Christian or otherwise, why would they not make their moral standards at least somewhat understandable to those they want to inspire faith in? Certain things are, of course, obvious as to their morality (murder, theft, etc.), but other things, like homosexuality, can only be seen as morally wrong if you just take someone's word for it. If God does think homosexuality and the like is evil, he's just alienating people who might otherwise be pious followers by not making it at all clear why such things are evil.

I'd prefer if the 'God works in mysterious ways' card isn't pulled, because there's really no point in discussing this at all if everything can be immediately invalidated by it.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 18, 2014, 09:47:43 pm »

After getting chewed out in the original discussion, I'm not really sure it's such a great idea to get involved in another one, but I'm a wild dude, I guess.

If there was a god, Judeo-Christian or otherwise, why would they not make their moral standards at least somewhat understandable to those they want to inspire faith in? Certain things are, of course, obvious as to their morality (murder, theft, etc.), but other things, like homosexuality, can only be seen as morally wrong if you just take someone's word for it. If God does think homosexuality and the like is evil, he's just alienating people who might otherwise be pious followers by not making it at all clear why such things are evil.

I'd prefer if the 'God works in mysterious ways' card isn't pulled, because there's really no point in discussing this at all if everything can be immediately invalidated by it.

In my opinion the Ten Commandments cover the easily defined things but the rest of it is up to speculation and personal opinion
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 18, 2014, 09:55:39 pm »

I, too, am glad this thread exists. I enjoy having this sort of philosophical discussion, though I do occasionally proselytize a little bit more vigorously than may be entirely appropriate.

The Christians in the room: On a slight tangent, what are your views on how the world is what God intends it to be versus God letting things happen without interfering or having a specific plan for people?

Pretty much what Cryxis said, though I don't figure we're on our way to the end of days anytime soon.

In short, faith -accepting something as true, despite not knowing it firsthand- is central to Christian thought. I doubt you'll be satisfied by one sentence though, I'll edit in a properly elaborated response or just make a new post in the morning if nobody beats me to it. I have an organic chemistry exam 8 hours from now and I need to get some sleep (and to study some more.)
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 18, 2014, 10:02:37 pm »

One of the four seals has been opened
In my beleif we are getting close to the end times

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 18, 2014, 10:03:58 pm »

I used to be a Lutheran (yes, your very own hardcore atheist was once devoutly religious) if that matters to anything.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #65 on: September 18, 2014, 10:04:18 pm »

The Christians in the room: On a slight tangent, what are your views on how the world is what God intends it to be versus God letting things happen without interfering or having a specific plan for people?
I personally believe that the world is what me make it. God might help here and there, but he won't force people to do things. That would ruin the whole plan of salvation and repentance thing, right?

Also, I personally think that if someone is not a religious person but lives the best they can, then they will go to heaven. Not doing that seems wrong on so many levels to me. What if they never heard of a religion? What if they had someone in a religion be terrible to them and make them not trust religions? I just feel like everyone should have an equal chance to be saved.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 18, 2014, 10:05:18 pm »

I personally believe that the world is what me make it. God might help here and there, but he won't force people to do things. That would ruin the whole plan of salvation and repentance thing, right?

Also, I personally think that if someone is not a religious person but lives the best they can, then they will go to heaven. Not doing that seems wrong on so many levels to me. What if they never heard of a religion? What if they had someone in a religion be terrible to them and make them not trust religions? I just feel like everyone should have an equal chance to be saved.
Preach it, sister :P

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 18, 2014, 10:06:15 pm »

One of the four seals has been opened
In my beleif we are getting close to the end times
What seal?
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 18, 2014, 10:11:12 pm »

There are seals that are realeased or opened by god each one bringing the world closer to the end

The first being an astrological event (the blood moon last year) which may sound silly but that was one of the possibilities for what said astrological event is/was

@the other Christians- do you know any site or source for the seals of the apocalypse or whatever they are?

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 18, 2014, 10:13:25 pm »

Haven't we had many blood moons already, though?
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoes cancels Drink: Intensified by Penguin Man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 18, 2014, 10:14:16 pm »

In short, faith -accepting something as true, despite not knowing it firsthand- is central to Christian thought.

Not necessarily expecting an answer from you specifically because you really should get some sleep for your exam, but I may as well probe a bit further.

I didn't really mean a firsthand experience or something, but at least some sort of explanation, however vague. God's a bit weird if he, in all his omniscience, expects a species known for its skepticism and rebelliousness to simply accept something on faith without any further evidence. Besides, if he's omniscient, presumably he knows the outcome of everyone's lives anyways, so even if we do have free will, he knows from the get-go whether we're going to be saved or damned. What's the point, then?

I don't know, maybe I just prefer my deities to be a bit more clear-cut. That said, I don't have any, so maybe I'm not one to talk.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 18, 2014, 10:15:31 pm »

Yes
But not in such concentration
Before it was only every couple hundred years
Now they are to become more frequent (once every couple of years)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 18, 2014, 10:23:33 pm »

Ho yez. There's actually been 62 of the sort apparently supposed to be a sign (four within two years) since 1st century AD, eight of which fell in the appropriate time frame.

It's... I realize it's a sort of sideways swipe at you, Cryx, so do take it as no offense, but there's parts of the christian faith that have believed the end of times is rapidly approaching -- with all the appropriate prophetory bells and whistles -- since the religion began. It's an estachological religion *shrugs vaguely*
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 10:26:44 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 18, 2014, 10:26:58 pm »

Now the we wait for the next seal

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 18, 2014, 10:29:12 pm »

Are blood moons just lunar eclipses then? I had no idea that is what caused that. Wikipedia has a list of them though, and they seem very common. A bunch of total ones coming in a row in regular intervals seems very common on that list as well.

If that's the first seal I'm pretty sure it's been pulled off like... When did we get the moon? At any rate, if that's the rate of seal removal then the human race will certainly no longer exist when the end times come, so no biggie I guess.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 185