Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should other religions be added to this thread?

No
Only Judeism
Only Islam
Yes to both Judeism and Islam

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 185

Author Topic: Christian beliefs and discussion  (Read 189686 times)

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
Re: Christian beliefs and homosexuality
« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2014, 09:16:11 pm »

*frowns
*glances at the Wikipedia page on the doctrine of election
*shrugs

If that's your religious beliefs, then I see no reason why you should hide it. However, I do see where that could trigger a flame war, because that in and of itself is somewhat controversial.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2014, 09:16:34 pm »

*highfive to everyone
Thank you for not getting this thread locked in the first 4 pages guys
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2014, 09:16:49 pm »

I don't believe God is omnibenevolent. In Romans 9 IIRC, he basically says he doesn't love everyone.

Thank you for not getting this thread locked in the first 4 pages guys
And it's exhausting. I was going to have lunch, but that's gone out the window.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2014, 09:19:43 pm »

You might be entitled to your opinion, but responding to a sad person with "I don't approve of you" (for whatever reason) is a little tactless.

I try not to do that but yes I have done it
I try to keep it from I don't approve
And instead I think differently but do whatever you want to because I have no control over you

If at any time I start shoving religion down anyone's throat or become a bigot please tell me because I want to refrain from that

I think you've done a remarkable job of stating your opinion without coming across, at least to me, as tactless or bigotted.  You're stating exactly where you get your beliefs from without trying to apply them to others, and have remained calm and collected on the issue.

He's been polite about it. I just think there are times when stating your disapproval is inappropriate, even when put politely.
I have to agree. You posted quite a few times too quickly, in my opinion.
Your opinion should be stated once on a topic, not repeated every time someone mentions that topic in a conversation.
But you were very polite about it. Thank you.

What do you think homoromanticism? Homosexuality itself could be considered a sin due to the fact that gay sex does not serve reproductive purpose and thus is just lust. Which begs the question about whether or not being romantically attracted to a person of the same sex while staying virgin would be a sin?
I will point out, I'm a Mormon (Which is Christian) The leaders of my church say that it is okay to be attracted to the same sex, as long as you don't "act upon it", which I think of as anything sexual...
And I have to agree. It is not a sin to be attracted to the same gender. Not sure about other churches though...
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 09:21:14 pm by Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum »

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2014, 09:21:31 pm »

Yeah, this entire discussion is playing hide and go seek in a minefield. But we're managing.

PPE:
Okay, so we have at least two Catholics, one Mormon, and one... What are you, II? Calvinist or similar? And we've managed not to blow this thing sky-high just yet.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2014, 09:22:36 pm »

Yeah, this entire discussion is playing hide and go seek in a minefield. But we're managing.

PPE:
Okay, so we have at least two Catholics, one Mormon, and one... What are you, II? Calvinist or similar? And we've managed not to blow this thing sky-high just yet.
And a baptist
Don't forget me

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 18, 2014, 09:23:02 pm »

I don't believe God is omnibenevolent. In Romans 9 IIRC, he basically says he doesn't love everyone.
Yeah, that's a tract you can take. Seriously undermines any justification for following the religion, though, t'me. Why place absolute faith in something that is not absolutely good?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 18, 2014, 09:23:46 pm »

PPE:
And a baptist
Don't forget me
I knew you were here, I'd forgotten you were baptist.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 18, 2014, 09:26:48 pm »

And a bisexual adulterous Taoist (formerly Lutheran). But I'm staying out of this for now.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 18, 2014, 09:27:21 pm »

I won't argue about Calvinism, because I don't know enough about what it actually says to dispute it.

On free will and sin though, consider that most people do not commit murders. This is because, I submit, (most) people understand the harm that it causes. A person who fully understands the harm a murder causes, then, will not commit it: the idea is simply unthinkable. God is perfect in his understanding, and will therefore do no wrong. Man... isn't. I'll write this out more verbosely in a moment, but I want to get this out there. This thread is moving at a mile a minute.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 18, 2014, 09:30:03 pm »

Thought I'd briefly chime in to give my own thoughts. I've noticed that, in this thread, there has been a certain amount of debate of homosexual acts vs. homosexual marriage vs. homosexual relationships (in a non-sexual or marital way). In my view, although "homoromantic" feelings do not share the amount of condemnation that the acts do in the Bible, I'd still say it is at odds with the Book of Genesis, where Adam and Eve are created as the two sides of Mankind with the intention that man be with woman. " And Adam said, This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man. Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh" (Genesis 2: 23-24 KJV).

Thus, although ordinary relationships between a man and a woman—be they marital or not; sexual or chaste—are acceptable as they are in line with God's plan and will, whereas homosexual relationships are as evil as the acts they often lead to.
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #56 on: September 18, 2014, 09:31:11 pm »

I am Calvinist, yes. I go to a Dutch Reformed church, but I'm not Dutch, oddly enough. There are a few things held by the church that I don't believe (Creationism, par example) but for the most part it suits me very well.

Yeah, that's a tract you can take. Seriously undermines any justification for following the religion, though, t'me. Why place absolute faith in something that is not absolutely good?
Yeeeeaaaaahh....... I'm gonna leave this one for another time.

I'd like to extend a general invitation to anyone who has questions to PM me in the event that this thread gets firey and Toadhammered.

I'm going to have lunch now.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 18, 2014, 09:36:08 pm »

Once again I can not thank you all enough for not turning this thread into something that gets locked
I kind of wanted to make this thread before but saw no reason to until today

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 18, 2014, 09:37:33 pm »

The Christians in the room: On a slight tangent, what are your views on how the world is what God intends it to be versus God letting things happen without interfering or having a specific plan for people?

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 18, 2014, 09:42:05 pm »

The Christians in the room: On a slight tangent, what are your views on how the world is what God intends it to be versus God letting things happen without interfering or having a specific plan for people?

The world is as we make of it, god put us here and gave us free will then have us laws and salvation. Everything from there is what we've done with minimal (compared to biblical events) intervention from god
Though as a beleiver I feel the rapture drawing near and I'm glad that most of the people I know outside the internet are saved (though my girlfriend isn't she will be soon, I think she believes in her heart but she hasn't met with someone who remembers how the prayer goes that "officially" brings you to salvation)

But the world is as it is but when it goes too far god intervenes
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 185