Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Best/Unique Story Based Games to sit on the sofa and play/watch  (Read 4621 times)

aireoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Best/Unique Story Based Games to sit on the sofa and play/watch
« on: September 18, 2014, 02:24:20 pm »

Hello All,

One of our favorite things to do is play unique and quality story games. Most recently we just finished Consortium (Unpolished but fun and good potential) lifeless planet (little dull) and Among the Sleep (Superb). Since then I have been scouring for more, we typically avoid the big AAA titles because reasons.

We have nothing against multiplayer games, other then they tend to marginalize the story, we are going to do Zeno Clash 2 next.

Anyway, looking for some possible recommendations, and I can't be the only one around here that likes these games, so I'll contribute as well (not a complete list, that would take forever):

Among the Sleep - Play it, good art style, great directing, creepy as its based in reality.
Consortium - Get over the lack of polish and give this little gem a shot, I do hope they make a sequel and I hope they have more money to polish it and the voice acting.
Lifeless Planet - Lifeless, bleck
Amnesia & the Pigs - I enjoyed, but grew tired of it
Silent Hill 2 - The peak of its genre.
Mass Effect 1-3 - I'm sorry, the end ruined the entire franchise for me, I tried to replay after, I really did. If you don't mind that all the hype, build up and mystery is torn away in the last 10 minutes and replaced with Neapolitan ice cream, then play it.
Divinity: Original Sin - Enjoyed it good classic RPG.
Batman Series - Originally good, they are tired now due to complete lack of innovation.

I don't post much, but the forums I'm even slightly active in I have a huge passion for.

In regards to DF, I've been playing for almost 8 years, since the earliest of editions, love this game.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 02:34:57 pm by Levi »
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
Re: Best/Unique Story Based Games to sit on the sofa and play/watch
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 02:33:31 pm »

Any Ice Pick Lodge except maybe Cargo The Quest For Gravity. The Void? Brilliant. Knock Knock? Brilliant. Pathologic? Flawed but brilliant and getting a remake. Their plots aren't conventional, but they make up for it for being a great blend of gameplay and story.

rabidgam3r

• Bay Watcher
  • bruh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 03:06:53 pm »

Going to +1 Psychonauts. Great characters, art, levels, concepts, eeeeeverything.
Even if he hadn't brought the server down in a ball of flaming, slow-mo gibbing corgis

engy

• Bay Watcher
  • Military | Science | Consumer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 03:08:52 pm »

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 04:01:39 pm »

Brilliant suggestions so far. 

Heavy Rain
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
Bastion
The Banner Saga
Dishonored
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2014, 04:07:44 pm »

I would highly recommend both Bastion and Transistor. They are beautiful, and have great stories. Transistor could take input from everyone as well, as it has a kind of turn based combat.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2014, 04:16:24 pm »

I have been playing Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward(3DS/Vita) lately, really good puzzle/story driven game. It's the sequel to Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors, and I actually think it surpassed the original in many aspects.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2014, 04:20:06 pm »

Binary Domain
Dishonored
Huh uh. -1 to these, especially Dishonored. Though Binary Domain had some sorta interesting bits in the core plot and the worldbuilding was superb, the gameplay is just so boring.. And it's definitely not a story-based game.

+1 to Thomas Was Alone, Stanley Parable, To the Moon

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2014, 04:23:58 pm »

Huh uh. -1 to these, especially Dishonored. Though Binary Domain had some sorta interesting bits in the core plot and the worldbuilding was superb, the gameplay is just so boring.. And it's definitely not a story-based game.

Binary Domain had a fair bit of story.  I'll be first to admit that the gameplay wasn't amazing(in fact, I almost quit after playing 10 mins worth), but characters/story was what kept me playing through the whole thing.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2014, 04:30:06 pm »

Binary Domain had a fair bit of story.  I'll be first to admit that the gameplay wasn't amazing(in fact, I almost quit after playing 10 mins worth), but characters/story was what kept me playing through the whole thing.
Ending was fun, but fuck that boss fight.

Draxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2014, 06:25:01 pm »

Iji.  Pretty rough around the edges, and can be frustrating mechanically, but it's amazing overall - characters you care about, great writing (if the actual dialogue can be a bit awkward), fun and compelling to play the first few times, and it makes you really think in a way that most games that try are too ham-fisted to.  Ironman it (maybe 6-8 hours) for bonus points.  I think it's actually the best game I've ever played.

Edit:  This is definitely one to play, not watch.  Avoid any spoilers like the plague, or any information at all if possible.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 06:31:34 pm by Draxis »

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2014, 08:06:55 pm »

Asura's Wrath, it's a 7 hour anime with some gameplay thrown in.
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2014, 08:54:27 pm »

^this

Also, if you like reading, king of dragon pass is an oldie game in which you basically build a clan's history through your actions. It could be considered a story generator.  The banner saga is also a good one too.

Personally I found the stanley parable to be a boring and pointless pile of boring humor. If anime visual novels are your thing, virtue's last reward is a good pick I guess, not my cup of tea personally, but I've heard good things about it. If you're ok with emulators, eternal darkness might be good, altough the gameplay can be annoying at times.

Pillars of Eternity might be great once it comes out, its being made by the same people who were involved in baldurs gate 1 & 2. Icewind dale story is... a bit weird to be honest, but its quite hilarious and entertaining if you decide to make fun of the characters and their motivations.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2014, 09:40:26 pm »

planescape torment, although reading so much dialogue from a sofa may be tough
Pages: [1] 2 3