Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Best/Unique Story Based Games to sit on the sofa and play/watch  (Read 4612 times)

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
Re: Best/Unique Story Based Games to sit on the sofa and play/watch
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2014, 10:54:11 pm »

I guess theres always Xenomoviesaga, but your mileage may vary on the actual game/story of it (and it gets pretty weird, plus the 2nd ones gameplay kinda suffered a bit).
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2014, 12:03:37 am »

Asura's Wrath, it's a 7 hour anime with some gameplay thrown in.
If you do play this, make sure to get the DLC. It isn't all that much money, but it provides two extra "sub chapters" which are actual anime sequences by two different studios. And the final chapter ties up every loose end and provides an almost TTGL-level-of-epic ending.

I also give a solid +11 to Iji. It has a great story, great music, and it's completely 100% free!
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2014, 12:28:02 am »

Persona games are good as well.
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2014, 02:06:44 am »

Indigo's prophecy is like an interactive movie. Definitely a great game if you're looking for a story based game!

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2014, 04:11:40 am »

Indigo's prophecy is like an interactive movie. Definitely a great game if you're looking for a story based game!
Warning: Game stops being a murder mystery about half-way through. Perfect if you enjoyed The Matrix Revolutions.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2014, 05:08:38 am »

Iji.  Pretty rough around the edges, and can be frustrating mechanically, but it's amazing overall
I also give a solid +11 to Iji. It has a great story, great music, and it's completely 100% free!
Wait, what? There was a plot? Don't get me wrong, I really liked this game, but it doesn't have half as much plot as Cave Story (which I wasn't even going to suggest, although thinking on it, maybe I should)
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Draxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2014, 07:25:50 am »

Wait, what? There was a plot? Don't get me wrong, I really liked this game, but it doesn't have half as much plot as Cave Story (which I wasn't even going to suggest, although thinking on it, maybe I should)
It certainly does.  Did you read the logbooks?  It's easy to miss what's going on in the background if you don't, in which case all the characters' actions wouldn't make much sense.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2014, 07:37:19 am »

Journey?

Not sure how much story it has but it's most definitely an expirience worth having.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2014, 10:52:26 am »

The Legacy of Kain series is pretty good in that regard. Perhaps barring Blood Omen 2.

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2014, 11:14:03 am »

Warning: Game stops being a murder mystery about half-way through. Perfect if you enjoyed The Matrix Revolutions.
More like 3/4th but yea the sudden drop in the quality of the story was very painful. Still loved the game though

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2014, 03:55:50 pm »

Final Fantasy Tactics had some crazy story going on. 

Gone Home is short but interesting.

Home (just Home) is also short but you can craft the story going on.

Shadow of the Colossus?  Might be a bit abstract in the story department. 

Earthbound.  Certainly hits the 'unique' aspect. 

Let's see what I have in the ol' Steam library ...

Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale (another unique story game)
Saints Row: The Third (maybe not best, but unique)
Analogue: A Hate Story (visual novel-ish, but different)
Hammerfight (interesting story if you can follow it)
The Typing of The Dead: Overkill (see Saints Row above)
Frozen Synapse (interesting and unique-ish)
Bad Mojo Redux (haven't played yet, but definitely looks unique)
I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream (ditto)
TRAUMA (haven't played this one much, but another unique game/story)

And if you want to go the full-blown visual novel route, I can dump a bunch more.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2014, 04:55:24 pm »

Iji.
Edit:  This is definitely one to play, not watch.  Avoid any spoilers like the plague, or any information at all if possible.
+1.  Iji is a fucking great game.

I guess theres always Xenomoviesaga, but your mileage may vary on the actual game/story of it (and it gets pretty weird, plus the 2nd ones gameplay kinda suffered a bit).
-1.  Get Xenogears instead.  Gameplay is better, the game has some world map funtimes to make it not seem/be quite as linear.

Also +1 for Final Fantasy Tactics, though that's only because it's my favorite game out of probably all the vidya I've played.

Will also +1 Analogue: A Hate Story.  It's ppreeetty much a visual novel wherein you dig through the log entries of a dead ship.  Will also recommend other stuff by the author:  Digital: A Love Story, and sorry babe, it just ain't your story.  They're fun times.  They are, however, most definitely visual novels.

ARE you interested in visual novels?  If so, look up Dischan - they've got Dysfunctional Systems and Juniper's Knot, which are both short, and pretty good reads.

In the realm of more traditional vidya:
KOtoR - that is, the non-MMO Knights of the Old Republic games - have pretty good stories, both.  KOtoR 1 I really liked; 2 is unfinished and thus kinda hacked up at the end, though there are supposedly mods for the PC version that restores some of the content.

+1 for Planescape: Torment.  Supposedly one of the best stories in video games - I wouldn't know, personally, as I never got passed a very early bit in the beginning, before any of the good stuff happens.  As mentioned, not the best for couch-stuff.

Child of Light is an interesting one, supposedly (it doesn't run well on my low-end PC).  It's like a fairytale, dialogue is in rhyme, stuff like that.

The Yawhg is a sorta story-based game.  It's a really simple one, though - don't expect there to be a lot of big twists or changes between games.  Get some friends though, cuz' it's multiplayer!  Or one-guy-controlling-four-guys-player.  Or two-guys-controlling-two or whatever.  Turnbased and stuff!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MGvyKG-I3U

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2014, 04:59:43 pm »

LA Noire

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2014, 09:23:51 pm »

I for one support our child snatching overlords.
there is a difference between droping red numbers representing magma on Es representing elves, and finding it hot when a girl moans like a retarded seal

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2014, 09:42:30 pm »

Final Fantasy Tactics had some crazy story going on. 
FFT has possibly the most compelling and interesting story in games, and while I'd say the plot is a huge part of the game, it's definitely not a story-based game that you can relax and watch. Gotta play it so hard if you want to win.
Pages: 1 [2] 3