Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Dragons  (Read 2734 times)

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
Re: Dragons
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2014, 08:30:39 am »

Not too much of a fan of Bronze Colossi. I found them too easy to kill to be called a megabeast. A pair of legendary sword dwarves cut it down in under a minute, with only bruises and one broken rib. Then a hydra came along and fought my entire military to a stand-still.
I just started getting back into Dwarf Fortress after a years long hiatus and this is a complete reversal of what it was when I left. Hydras used to be a joke because any of their heads getting cut off would kill them so any fight with edged weapons was absurdly short and bronze colossuses were nigh invulnerable.

Hydras now last until the last head, making them a bit nastier in combat.

Still, not the worst thing to run into.  The worst would probably be a thralled giant sperm whale.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2014, 08:35:27 am »

Still, not the worst thing to run into.  The worst would probably be a thralled giant sperm whale.

*shudders*

Or a thralled giant sponge.

On land, probably a thralled elephant or giant bull moose or something.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2014, 10:41:04 am »

I only had one beach embark, and the ocean was frozen (but otherwise it was great - three ores of iron, coal, sand, fireclay, obsidian, platinum, all discovered at first frame) and I cannot imagine how the immobile sponge or another even mobile but water-only animal could pose a challenge to dwarves. They are afraid of water like real-world mythological vampires.

Do the orcas for example are able to spyhopping and attacking dwarves on the land tiles? Even so, I don't think they will walk out of water and start hunting the bearded ones.

Delioth

• Bay Watcher
  • Mass Gauntlet Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2014, 10:43:04 am »

If they're thralled (I.E. the most deadly kind of undead) they don't care about those pesky little restrictions of not having feet or even being able to move normally; they aren't alive, and can move around on land or water, and kill things without discrimination.
Help us write a story!
We're currently setting the scene and world- characters, civilizations, flora/fauna, cities, places, anything setting!
Products of my Boredom (Old)
Quote from: Shawtay
Delioth, you sir, are a wonderful, wonderful person.
When in doubt, Apply Magma

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2014, 10:53:03 am »

If they're thralled (I.E. the most deadly kind of undead) they don't care about those pesky little restrictions of not having feet or even being able to move normally; they aren't alive, and can move around on land or water, and kill things without discrimination.
*shudder* has anyone ever defeated one?

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2014, 11:00:11 am »

My modded race of draconic humanoids fought a thralled orca. They include fire breathers, poisonous ones, and a lot of warriors. The thralled orca slaughtered them, even on fire. That was just a regular orca. A giant sperm whale is much bigger. The only thing I can think of to beat it is a hammer and mace based military, supported by tens of elephants and rhinos, with a trained dragon or two.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2014, 11:02:44 am »

*shudder* has anyone ever defeated one?

In straight combat?  No.

Using magma and water?  Yes.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2014, 11:09:48 am »

I refuse to do any fighting that doesn't involve dwarves in cold iron and steel. Unless it's cage and weapon traps.
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
  • I coveted that wind, I suppose.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2014, 04:41:27 pm »

I've fought a husk giant sperm whale. It was there as I first embarked.
Accidentally made over 5000 copper maces once. I have no idea how that happened.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2014, 04:58:21 pm »

Hmm... Can newborn dragons breathe fire? I could imagine them being used as glass (flame)cannons on sieges or whatnot. It'd save you the stress of losing a millennium-old beast of legend to a random goblin bowman with copper arrows.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2014, 05:06:44 pm »

Yeah, they breathe fire from day one, and also can lay fertile eggs from day one. Give it five years with a 1000 year old dragon captured and tamed, and you'll have 6-16 dragons running about.

arcturusthelesser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2014, 05:18:43 pm »

Steel swords and thrown rocks wamblers take them down in seconds.
Also, I could've sworn I heard something about the dethroning of sponges due to pulping. I mean, since it's a blob, couldn't you potentially one-hit-kill it? Thralled giant sperm whales are now definitely the deadliest creatures in DF imo, with the possible exception of this, especially since I don't know how fast zombie whales can move. The whale could probably still win in a head-on conflict, though. The FB is probably more dwarf-deadly.
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2014, 08:11:50 pm »

Steel swords and thrown rocks take them down in seconds.

How about thrown fluffy wamblers? Do those still work?
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2014, 08:15:12 pm »

Steel swords and thrown rocks take them down in seconds.

How about thrown fluffy wamblers? Do those still work?
No.  Dont try.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2014, 08:17:51 pm »

That was because of the weird way throwing and combat in general worked. Throwing was heavily unbalanced, as even throwing a snowball could shatter a dragon's bones.
Pages: 1 [2] 3