Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Dragons  (Read 2737 times)

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
  • I coveted that wind, I suppose.
    • View Profile
Dragons
« on: September 18, 2014, 10:42:16 am »

I just looked at the wiki, and apparently dragons are tamable for hunting and war. And they can breed, as they lay clutches of one to three eggs. Have they always been this way? Or have I just been really ignorant of this?
Accidentally made over 5000 copper maces once. I have no idea how that happened.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Dragons
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 10:44:15 am »

I just looked at the wiki, and apparently dragons are tamable for hunting and war. And they can breed, as they lay clutches of one to three eggs. Have they always been this way? Or have I just been really ignorant of this?
I thought you had to mod in the breeding before.  They lacked the child tag iirc.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
  • I coveted that wind, I suppose.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 10:45:05 am »

They are adults at birth, but they lay eggs.
Accidentally made over 5000 copper maces once. I have no idea how that happened.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 11:26:33 am »

since 40.xx dragons are breedable
Stages of DF Ideas:
How do the mechanics for this work?
How can I weaponise it?
How can I add magma?
How can I weaponise it?
How can I automate it?

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 01:32:30 pm »

They also take centuries to grow to their full size.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 02:19:08 pm »

1000 years. They double in size every year though. They start out about the size of a dwarven baby, and get all the way to grizzly bear size fast. If you were breeding them, I'd say wait three years before deploying.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2014, 02:26:40 pm »

1000 years. They double in size every year though. They start out about the size of a dwarven baby, and get all the way to grizzly bear size fast. If you were breeding them, I'd say wait three years before deploying.

This reminds me of the Princess Bride:
Valerie: The chocolate coating makes it go down easier. But you have to wait fifteen minutes for full potency. And you shouldn't go in swimming after, for at least, what?
Miracle Max: An hour?
Valerie: Yeah, an hour.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2014, 03:20:26 pm »

Also if they are born as adults, they can't be truly domesticated, only trained.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2014, 03:28:42 pm »

I really think hydras should get to lay eggs. I normally mod in egg laying and a growth rate twice as fast as dragons. In 40.xx I could have a roc, dragon, and hydra hatchery going.
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2014, 03:49:21 pm »

I really think hydras should get to lay eggs. I normally mod in egg laying and a growth rate twice as fast as dragons. In 40.xx I could have a roc, dragon, and hydra hatchery going.
All you need now is to fill the Bronze Collosus pit of death, and you're collection's complete.
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2014, 04:13:56 pm »

Not too much of a fan of Bronze Colossi. I found them too easy to kill to be called a megabeast. A pair of legendary sword dwarves cut it down in under a minute, with only bruises and one broken rib. Then a hydra came along and fought my entire military to a stand-still.

EvilBob22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2014, 04:24:20 pm »

I thought you had to mod in the breeding before.  They lacked the child tag iirc.
since 40.xx dragons are breedable
These statements are both correct (and related).  In 40.xx, the child tag is no longer required for breeding.
I will run the experiment to completion anyway, however. Even if the only reason why there is a punctured equilibrium in the fortress is because I have been brutally butchering babies
EDIT: I just remembered that dwarves can't equip halberds. That might explain why the squads that use them always die.

guale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2014, 11:05:10 pm »

Not too much of a fan of Bronze Colossi. I found them too easy to kill to be called a megabeast. A pair of legendary sword dwarves cut it down in under a minute, with only bruises and one broken rib. Then a hydra came along and fought my entire military to a stand-still.
I just started getting back into Dwarf Fortress after a years long hiatus and this is a complete reversal of what it was when I left. Hydras used to be a joke because any of their heads getting cut off would kill them so any fight with edged weapons was absurdly short and bronze colossuses were nigh invulnerable.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2014, 11:45:36 pm »

Bronze colossi are still nearly immortal, just a bit less so.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2014, 11:46:15 pm »

Steel swords and thrown rocks take them down in seconds.
Pages: [1] 2 3