Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]

Author Topic: What made you absolutely cringe today  (Read 14992 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: What made you absolutely cringe today
« Reply #135 on: July 17, 2016, 01:44:05 pm »

prepare your anus
...If you could concentrate this post and inject it, that'd be enough internet for a whole month right there.
Probably too much for a human body to handle in one hit.
Enough internet to take down an elephant

Not safe for human consumption

You want cringe? I'll make you cringe!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
To be fair, standard Sonic/MLP/Fedora cringe is pretty vast, defying expectation almost. Almost. Once you've seen a few though, you've seen them all, with very few breaking above the standard piteous worry into cringe, without going too far down one end and ending up in horror

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 17, 2016, 03:10:14 pm »

EDIT: And here's the cringefest: http://imgur.com/r/cringe

1. Why are you posting to the collection of images hosted on imgur specificallt for posting on Reddit's /r/cringe?

2. Here's a post from one of the earlier mods of /r/cringe going over the history of how much effort it took to keep their subreddit from becoming a subreddit entirely dedicated to bullying:
https://www.reddit.com/r/TheoryOfReddit/comments/3r15h0/how_to_change_the_culture_of_a_subreddit_looking/

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 17, 2016, 03:45:33 pm »

That reddit post is pretty interesting, actually:
How We Did It

First step, as I mentioned above, is to clearly define a rule that would exclude the kind of content that attracts most of the problem users. Yes, it may seem arbitrary (and it probably is) and will likely be subjective, but if your mod team has a vision of what you want to see out of the sub then it should be possible to come up with something.

Next, you need to set this rule as a new internal guideline to enforce, do not make the rule official and do not reference this new guideline when removing threads. Yes, I am basically saying you need to be less transparent here and that you need to basically use some more vague justification for removing threads. In our case, we simply removed most of those posts for being "not cringe-worthy" (something we had been doing for a long time previously, to be fair). What you're doing here is creating a front page of your sub that you think your sub should look like in the future. Go full Nazi, even if it means your sub will be almost barren. When we did this, we used to have 30+ posts in a single day. Afterwards, we would only leave up like 2-3 posts a day. The idea behind curating the front page of your sub this way is to train any new subscribers to associate the content you want to see with your subreddit, and to make any of the problem users who miss that sort of content to eventually unsubscribe and move on. You should do this for at least a month (which is what we did).
Seems like a classic "conspiracy against the public" maneuver. So democratic, very progressive.
._.

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 17, 2016, 03:48:29 pm »

How We Did It
Seems like a classic "conspiracy against the public" maneuver. So democratic, very progressive.
I didn't really expect anything different from reddit, tbh.
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #139 on: July 17, 2016, 03:51:17 pm »

Putnam, not everyone uses this as a way of going 'THUMP THIS GUY!' or 'BULLY HIM!'. For me a cringe is basically anything that gives me that feeling of wanting to crumple inwards, whether it's someone showing the social wherewithall of a drunk while sober or that fucking noise puffed polystyrene makes.
See, your problem is using reddit

Step 1 to using reddit:
Don't

How We Did It

First step, as I mentioned above, is to clearly define a rule that would exclude the kind of content that attracts most of the problem users. Yes, it may seem arbitrary (and it probably is) and will likely be subjective, but if your mod team has a vision of what you want to see out of the sub then it should be possible to come up with something.

Next, you need to set this rule as a new internal guideline to enforce, do not make the rule official and do not reference this new guideline when removing threads. Yes, I am basically saying you need to be less transparent here and that you need to basically use some more vague justification for removing threads. In our case, we simply removed most of those posts for being "not cringe-worthy" (something we had been doing for a long time previously, to be fair). What you're doing here is creating a front page of your sub that you think your sub should look like in the future. Go full Nazi, even if it means your sub will be almost barren. When we did this, we used to have 30+ posts in a single day. Afterwards, we would only leave up like 2-3 posts a day. The idea behind curating the front page of your sub this way is to train any new subscribers to associate the content you want to see with your subreddit, and to make any of the problem users who miss that sort of content to eventually unsubscribe and move on. You should do this for at least a month (which is what we did).
I love social engineering like this, in a horrifying way
You can't really stop it because people crave it and support it, so you can only spectate with worry as it happens, respecting the craftwork in which people are conditioned

If you want cringe just search for it as a tag on Imgur. They've been collecting that stuff for years.
Do they quality control for distilled cringe though? You can find cringe everywhere in life and online is no exception, what changes online is that pure absolute distilled cringe is available in such high doses that it becomes lethal in the most toxic of compilations

Case in point:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Brain bleach here if you will need it
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 03:53:28 pm by Loud Whispers »

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 17, 2016, 03:57:44 pm »

Well, 'tis a website. Imagine the chaos if, say, the Minecraft forums became a democracy.
Well, yes. I probably used the wrong word here. What I meant was more about "rule of law" thing. Cleansing your forum-like place of wrong-think by using false pretences because you'd have a public outrage/backlash otherwise seems like a pretty shitty thing to advocate on a first-world 21st century Internet.
._.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #141 on: July 17, 2016, 04:00:24 pm »

For the sake of my mental health, that is a troll. I shall ignore any and all evidence to the contrary.
All I know is that death will one day release me from the knowledge of its existence

Beware the alpha cringe

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 17, 2016, 04:04:46 pm »

Just for the sake of my own sanity I am going to assume that this guy lost a bet and was a good sport. If he actually chose to go about like that out of his own volition, I think my brain would shortcircuit.

I dunno, man wears the look pretty well and he's not in the worst of shapes. And that's probably a convention photo of some kind. Dressing up for a convention is a noble and ancient tradition. See, it lacks that certain element of balls-out self-absorbed delusion like, say, a guy saying being an emo kid is worse than fighting in a war zone. This is a man who put on a magical pony costume he probably made himself to look intriguing in a public event and made his very best effort to own it, and that I can vaguely respect.

Also, that anal vore story seems less cringeworthy and more like a bizarre comedy sketch in how it's described. Still pretty amazing though.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 17, 2016, 04:19:43 pm »

Also, that anal vore story seems less cringeworthy and more like a bizarre comedy sketch in how it's described. Still pretty amazing though.
I could totally see that
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 17, 2016, 05:08:38 pm »

Well, 'tis a website. Imagine the chaos if, say, the Minecraft forums became a democracy.
Well, yes. I probably used the wrong word here. What I meant was more about "rule of law" thing. Cleansing your forum-like place of wrong-think by using false pretences because you'd have a public outrage/backlash otherwise seems like a pretty shitty thing to advocate on a first-world 21st century Internet.
all i see is a mod who is fed up with a cancerous subreddit and in a position to do something, but unwilling to deal with huge reddit shitstorms, which is understandable. ive literally lost sleep by pushing through changes for the greater good (of sane game design) in ss13, and that's a small community where you're only dealing with half a dozen shitlords.

i mean, reddit is basically everything wrong with populism in the first place. it's not exactly a very ethical place to begin with. used to be if you were banned from reddit itselfyou wouldn't even actually know, just nobody would be able to see your posts or comments.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 05:24:06 pm by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #145 on: July 17, 2016, 05:55:34 pm »

reddit is just wrong

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #146 on: July 18, 2016, 01:17:56 am »

Yeah reddit is good as long as you're aware that it's not good
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]