Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 18

Author Topic: The United Assembly OOC - Bureaucracy, Red Tape, Charters (8 Players Needed!)  (Read 10808 times)

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile

You want an avatar? I could do that. :p
On a side note, our security council is surprisingly impotent. It has 2(3) options to deal with outside threats :
- Writing angry letters
- Trade Embargo
- Admitting them in the United assembly and annexing them

The humanitarian council meanwhile, is much more powerful. They have a carte Blanche action (Draft Resolution), as well as being able to create programs for which they can directly demand resources from any member nation, without any checks nor balances for the latter.
The powers of the Security Council stop just short of allowing it to declare war on behalf of its member nations. The only reason it doesn't have this power is that its mission is to promote peace, and creating war would be rather counterproductive. That said, the UA's condemnation carries more weight than you might think, and the laws the Humanitarian Committee can pass aren't binding to non-member nations, plus the Humanitarian Committee has more seats in it, and only the Security Council has the power to enforce the HC's resolutions. So there's your checks and balances.

e: Also, the movement of the United Assembly was originally intended to go like this:
1. Individual committees are called, proposals are put forth, argued over, amended, and shot down or go on to the GA.
2. Repeat among several committees, letting bills build up waiting for passage in other committees.
3. GA and BoN have to be put in session to ensure they actually are enacted, but that prevents more bills from being drafted, forcing the AL to prioritize.
4. Budget bills add time pressure to call the GA every once in a while, to prevent the AL from stonewalling legislation too hard.

It was supposed to be like an abacus of sorts. Things get shifted around as the process continues. It only became so pressing because you guys got really into the game and wanted to get stuff done. I suppose that's the price I pay, but I'll gladly pay it, because it's fun watching you all play delegate.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 04:56:14 am by Squeegy »
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

Well, having the GA to meet once a week for budget is... way too often I guess. Anyway, I went for a saltire for your flag 10ebbor10.

And here's your avatar. You get a big chair, behing assembly leader and all that.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!

I thought that was a lady with big hair for a minute.

@ebbor Well I threw something out there about people needing help and stuff you haven't said anything and neither has Ghaz.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

I'm pretty sure I did respond to that. I just didn'gt approve.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!

You just thought I was trying to call them to order, for some reason, and I commented on that saying I wasn't (I wasn't), and you didn't respond to that or have anything to say about the proposal itself.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile

Squeegy i love how you take events out of my Insurgency game XD

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I usually do that when I forgot to write anything else. But I thought it would be amusing, they're in a similar vein.
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile

And in this universe, WE get to decide if Tariq The Head of Travaal using extreme force is worth intervention! this universe 2: explosions everywhere.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!

This Universe 3: Reckoning

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

You just thought I was trying to call them to order, for some reason, and I commented on that saying I wasn't (I wasn't), and you didn't respond to that or have anything to say about the proposal itself.
That was more of an excuse you know, because calling it, was, at that moment, not in my national interests.

I'll do so now then, can't go that wrong.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 01:57:11 am by 10ebbor10 »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

Was the recent news event a poke at the fact what happens if people don't post?

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

News events are the most important news article(s) published that day in the setting.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

Yeah, I was expecting more economic activities. Are the other seats on the EC vacants?

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Rutinde is vacant, the other seats are Ghazkull, Jiharo, and ebbor.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

Oh, indeed, for some reasons I though than 10ebbor10 was just addressing the Committee as an outside member.

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 18