Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 18

Author Topic: The United Assembly OOC - Bureaucracy, Red Tape, Charters (8 Players Needed!)  (Read 10828 times)

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile

The United Assembly is powerful, but it can't override reality. Not yet, anyway.
This is the justification. How could you possibly be in several places at once?

I went over this with Sheb multiple times but he refused to listen to it.

As for the justification for the news events, I've given several:
A) There's really no rush to address them, so it's not a problem.
B) Real-world bureaucracies don't meet every single day of every single week.
C) Things happen in the world, and were happening before the UA formed.

e: On a more positive note, I'm extremely pleased with Sheb's leadership of the Economic Council. I am going to leave it up to whoever is leading each committee as to whether they would like to meet in their own chamber or in the main chamber. Just let me know and I'll make a thread.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 03:21:18 am by Squeegy »
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!

They can talk while other people are talking..? Then you don't have to break reality to be in multiple places.

If that doesn't work for you, surely the government building we're in doesn't have just one room, I know other real-world parliaments have smaller board-room type chambers for sitting and meeting. It stands to reason we'd have those available if the original charter stated we'd have a bunch of smaller committees. Then you'd have to restrict people to only talking in their own committee, but then you've also got the problem of people being seated on multiple committees.

A) There's really no rush to address them, so it's not a problem.

B) Real-world bureaucracies don't meet every single day of every single week.

C) Things happen in the world, and were happening before the UA formed.
If you say so.. A hurricane seems awful pressing.

At least this isn't the American White House, where it takes years to get anything ratified.

That makes sense with the genocide and the peace keeping mission, of course there's events leading up to that. It's too bad we don't live in this world and never could've seen it coming.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 03:28:44 am by GUNINANRUNIN »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

Remember though, we're not the solitary world government. All these places have governments of their own, which should be able to handle stuff like that. Therefore, we don't need to do the first response.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Remember though, we're not the solitary world government. All these places have governments of their own, which should be able to handle stuff like that. Therefore, we don't need to do the first response.
Too right. They can and do respond on their own. When Hurricane Sandy hit, local and state governments were able to respond much more quickly than the federal. The federal government just has more power to assist.

They can talk while other people are talking..? Then you don't have to break reality to be in multiple places.
If they are in the same room, then yes, absolutely, you can do that, I never said you couldn't.

If that doesn't work for you, surely the government building we're in doesn't have just one room, I know other real-world parliaments have smaller board-room type chambers for sitting and meeting. It stands to reason we'd have those available if the original charter stated we'd have a bunch of smaller committees. Then you'd have to restrict people to only talking in their own committee, but then you've also got the problem of people being seated on multiple committees.
Yes, this is what I said. I've never disagreed with anything you've said here. I'm just saying if you do take your own chambers and you are seated on multiple committees you must pick one to be on and abstain from the rest. When you leave one you can enter another.

Also, the Ulvan controversy is something that I am giving you a lead-up to before it happens via newspaper articles. I couldn't have done this with all the events because you had just formed. Some things are pressing matters being brought to your attention, others are foreshadowing, some happen suddenly, some don't, etc. All I'm supplying is the biggest headline of the day.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 03:35:47 am by Squeegy »
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

On a side note, and as a fun fact, there's no provision in the charter to remove a Committee Chairman. That's going to be an interesting issue when it crops up.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

Oh, I wanted to give the Assembly Leader power to remove them. Did I forget to put that in?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I assumed they were appointed only for one session. This is why you need to take time and produce quality legislature!

e: Speaking of loopholes, three committees are meeting right now, so the delegates are not required to take great care in addressing which one they're speaking to. Be as sloppy and confusing as you like!

e2: On the other hand, Avalia never actually stated that he appointed anyone as a chairman.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 03:40:54 am by Squeegy »
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

Yeah, well, not going to complain if I'm Committee Chairman For Life.  :P But yeah, would have been nice to have the time for some discussion, it's the kind of stuff amendment are needed for. Want to call the policy committee to order?

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

Actually, I don't feel like clarifying things. I wrote Chapter 9 in order to clear up these unclear things, after all.

So basically yes, you're Committee Chairman for life, as long as you do not try to exercise that power in a way that I, or anyone else, disapprove off.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!

All hail Lord Sheb.

(I still really want to throw money at the people who got hurricaned. :v)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

Well, then. Find a way to convince me to open that Committee. I can be persuaded, you know. I'm even open to bribery using fancy pixel art.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

You want an avatar? I could do that. :p

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

You want an avatar? I could do that. :p
I don't want an avater. I merely hint at the fact that if I were to receive one, I would be pleased.

On a side note, our security council is surprisingly impotent. It has 2(3) options to deal with outside threats :
- Writing angry letters
- Trade Embargo
- Admitting them in the United assembly and annexing them

The humanitarian council meanwhile, is much more powerful. They have a carte Blanche action (Draft Resolution), as well as being able to create programs for which they can directly demand resources from any member nation, without any checks nor balances for the latter.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 04:33:46 am by 10ebbor10 »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

What do you want for your flag? Or at least colour scheme?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

I'm not great with colors. The following colors have been randomly chosen.

Blue
Black
Red
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 18