Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: When Dwarf Fortress creeps into your daily life  (Read 6959 times)

Drewigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: When Dwarf Fortress creeps into your daily life
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2014, 05:01:01 pm »

Woulden't this be more fitting into the general discussion?
Strike the earth!

TheHossofMoss

• Bay Watcher
  • "Man muss Heu machen, solange die Sonne scheint."
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2014, 07:42:39 pm »

Someone was talking about the original Snow White story, which is quite gruesome (written by the Brothers Grimm). Basically, Snow White is presumed dead so the Dwarves sell her "corpse" to the Prince. "That's what Urist would do," I commented. People thought I was drunk.

Not trying to be that guy, but just because of the fact that I learned about this myself this semester...... The Brothers Grimm actually just collected those stories. They wrote none.
On the Fifth Day of Axemas, my love saved the fort from...
Five sieging Werebeasts, four Giant Dingoes, three sneaky Thieves, two drunken Black bears, and a Titan killing spree!

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2014, 07:51:59 pm »

Someone was talking about the original Snow White story, which is quite gruesome (written by the Brothers Grimm). Basically, Snow White is presumed dead so the Dwarves sell her "corpse" to the Prince. "That's what Urist would do," I commented. People thought I was drunk.

Not trying to be that guy, but just because of the fact that I learned about this myself this semester...... The Brothers Grimm actually just collected those stories. They wrote none.
Really? That's actually pretty cool to know. I'll have to look more up about that.
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

Paaaad

• Bay Watcher
  • Mainly a lurker unfortunetley.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2014, 09:17:36 pm »

I visited some mountains, and I saw they had iron sticking out of them and I just wondered if they had flux stones to go with it...

I do this, too (I do most of these things, actually).  there's a sculpture (I guess?) made of a huge square chunk of marble in Downtown Denver.  Every time I see it, I think "What a waste of flux!  Damn nobles."  I'd rather keep my town free of magma though :D

(Snip)

I found some marble being used as railroad ballast the other day...  ::)
Unity! Duty! Destiny!

Does the walker chose the path, or the path the walker?

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2014, 09:39:47 pm »

Woulden't this be more fitting into the general discussion?

Well, there used to be a similar thread here in this section called "Because of Dwarf Fortress".  It was too old  for me to feel good about necro'ing that thread. I figure if half the forum suddenly tells me me it ought to be moved, then I'll move it.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2014, 10:21:06 pm »

If I'm asked to describe a person I generally do it exactly like Dwarf fortress (They like shiny things and turtles for their shells). I end up considering whether to add syrup or sugar to my pancakes, and decide to use syrup because we get 5 times more from each sweet pod... even though that's not how it works in the real world...

TheHossofMoss

• Bay Watcher
  • "Man muss Heu machen, solange die Sonne scheint."
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2014, 01:06:41 pm »

Really? That's actually pretty cool to know. I'll have to look more up about that.

Yes sir/ma'am! I'm a German major so naturally I had to read some of their collected fairy tales. I really recommend "Die Seben Raben/ The Seven Ravens" it's quite dwarfy, and it has dwarf that lives in a mountain made entirely of glass! But he's just a minor character. Called a "Zerg" XD
On the Fifth Day of Axemas, my love saved the fort from...
Five sieging Werebeasts, four Giant Dingoes, three sneaky Thieves, two drunken Black bears, and a Titan killing spree!

Yaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2014, 01:41:05 pm »

When possible I prefer to use Dwarf Fortress phraseology. If for no other reason than to how people react to "X doesn't really care about anything anymore."

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2014, 03:36:15 pm »

I love to say"It is terrifying." When shown something new as a joke. For example:
"Hey, check out my painting."
"It is terrifying."
 Also, occasionally, "it was inevitable," or some other funny adventure mode quote, depending on my mood and the circumstances.
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

MrCompassionate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2014, 04:04:57 pm »

Me and my mum were at the hospital when she saw the word "sutures" and was like 'Suctures?' and I corrected her then explained it's just the medical term for stitches and I explained iI know this because of Dwarf Fortress.

Also me and friend were watching Game of Thrones season 4 and I found myself commenting that the Erie was basically that mad lady playing Dwarf Fortress what with the moon door and having weird arena battles.
NOW THE DEMONS OF THE UNDERWORLD SHALL SHARE IN MY HELL! NOTHING IS WORSE THAN A RAVEN CORPSE! NOTHING!

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2014, 08:11:57 pm »

Also me and friend were watching Game of Thrones season 4 and I found myself commenting that the Erie was basically that mad lady playing Dwarf Fortress what with the moon door and having weird arena battles.
I never thought of it that way...

Can't wait for the next season!
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2014, 08:53:12 pm »

I have actively been trying to recruit new players, with less success than I'd like.

"That looks like a bunch of letters.  Eww Joe."
"Thats a bunch of moving 1s and 0s, Joe."
"Is that what you do all day in your classes? Gah"

Aside, I often play a game when bored, where I imagine somebodies stats, in whatever game.  This one is one of the more fun ones because they are hidden values.  Its easier not to listen to some people . . .
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

dwarf_reform

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_BUTCHERABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2014, 09:55:18 pm »

Ugh, had to live through the dumbstruck friends when I played a MUD online in the mid-90's :> "Its just a bunch of TEXT, when does the game start?!" "Pfft, I read enough at school!" type stuff :) That game did deal with a fair bit of reading, but some of those friends, 15 long years later, still think that my ascii-graphics games involve reading..

Anyway, any time you see more than 10 cats in the same place its a catsplosion (watch Hoarders on TLC to see real-world catsplosions).. Also any time I have to carry something awkward over a long distance its "a hauling job" :> I think of alcoholics as people who need booze to "get through the working day".. Can't watch Gimli and Legolas on-screen at the same time without wondering when Gimli is going to make me a couple elf-bone sceptres and elf-hair socks.. Thinking of high-quality objects as "masterwork", or spiked things as "menacing", and realizing that my wardrobe is actually my XXwardrobeXX..

"He likes green olives for their salt and hamburgers for their wide availability."

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2014, 10:06:19 pm »

Me and my mum were at the hospital when she saw the word "sutures" and was like 'Suctures?' and I corrected her then explained it's just the medical term for stitches and I explained iI know this because of Dwarf Fortress.
Actually, sutures are 'a more advanced stitch'.  It's not simply looping through, because when you suture something you actually tie a knot in each loop individually, making it much more tedious but VERY secure - after all, you don't want your belly coming open after that wound you got from the minotaur, do you?

flameaway

• Bay Watcher
  • Skeptical Optimist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2014, 10:54:41 pm »

"after all, you don't want your belly coming open after that wound you got from the minotaur, do you?"

Actually, I don't mind so much, now that I don't have to clean it up myself when my guts fall out.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 11:07:42 pm by flameaway »
1) What?  Hey! Give me a break; I'm just a complex series of chemical reactions going about my business.

2) Legalize Plump Helmets.
Pages: 1 [2] 3