Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Best Bolt material in v.4?  (Read 4202 times)

Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Best Bolt material in v.4?
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2014, 12:20:03 pm »

So based on the latest comments, it seems sharpness outperforms weight now. Except for Adamantine, which is very sharp, but also ridiculously light.

Steel might be worth it. I have a magma forge and lots of trees.

I just wish bolt stacking would be fixed. Does anyone know if Dwarves still have trouble picking up bolts out of bins?

TheHossofMoss

• Bay Watcher
  • "Man muss Heu machen, solange die Sonne scheint."
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2014, 12:52:15 pm »

So based on the latest comments, it seems sharpness outperforms weight now. Except for Adamantine, which is very sharp, but also ridiculously light.

Steel might be worth it. I have a magma forge and lots of trees.

I just wish bolt stacking would be fixed. Does anyone know if Dwarves still have trouble picking up bolts out of bins?

My dwarves never seem to have a problem with picking them out of bins. But that's just MY dwarves, so who knows!
On the Fifth Day of Axemas, my love saved the fort from...
Five sieging Werebeasts, four Giant Dingoes, three sneaky Thieves, two drunken Black bears, and a Titan killing spree!

Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2014, 12:55:10 pm »

It was something I read on the wiki. Maybe it has been fixed. Stacking would be nice though.

GenericOverusedName

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2014, 01:00:20 pm »

A bunch of other issues with stacks (using bones for example) have been fixed, so hopefully bolt stacking is too. I can't confirm it right now, though.

Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2014, 01:23:34 pm »

I doubt it. I think Toady would make a specific announcement when stacking is fixed. For example water/food/coins do not stack either.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2014, 09:46:17 pm »

Crossbow bolts were being registered as blunt damage, which made weight the only issue. ...

Nope. You must be thinking of ballista arrows.

And why. Or this something that nobody knows the SCIENCE behind at this time?

We (or at least myself and and several other frequently posting modders) know about 75% of the game's combat code, and this topic has been especially well researched. The main problem is that communication of the information is challenging.

My 0.40.xx thread: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=142372.0 (still on first page, I ought to update the combat calculator!)
My (closed) 0.34.11 thread: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=131995.0 (10 pages, mostly still relevant but the information could become dated)

In 0.40.1x versions, the bolts don't have crazy railgun velocities, so their ability to cut into the enemy matters. The enemy's armor matters, if it is hit. Use anything (preferably metal for the weight/momentum) against unarmored opponents (animals), and steel against armored opponents.

Pain is still super crippling, so expect most ammunition to be wasted at missing unconscious enemies lying on the ground.

Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2014, 11:36:48 pm »

Thanks for doing all of that analysis. I will study it.
Pages: 1 [2]