Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Non-metal, effective weaponry?  (Read 3290 times)

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Non-metal, effective weaponry?
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2014, 02:26:56 am »

ceramic hammers are actually quite viable as tools, but I do not know how well that would translate to combat worthiness.
I'm quite confident that a brick strapped to a handle would be an effective weapon. Especially solid clay ceramic instead of actual bricks (usually mixed with star and stuff and much more brittle than pure clay).

A diamond sword, made without the local laser cutting machine, is unrealistic, but a steel sword, made with bare hands on an anvil is fine? :P
A forge building is a whole setup with tools and stuff, not just an anvil.

You seem to be heavily stuck on the idea that Dwarf Fortress should be a second Earth
No, I'm just answering your thread, dude. You asedk if stone, gem, ceramic weapons would be good mod additions.

Stone hammers are realistic, satisfying, flavorful, and of all the options, also the most realistic that you might actually ever use them. They sound fun and cool as an idea to me.

Gem swords are not only fairly useless by comparison (if you have hordes of gems you probably have proper weapons materials anyway) but due to their utter outlandishness they also feel ridiculous and break the mood and make me think of, like, runescape or something. Not a great association.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2014, 02:36:21 am »

Code: [Select]
[INORGANIC:DIAMOND_LY]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:STONE_TEMPLATE]
[TILE:15][IS_GEM:light yellow diamond:STP:OVERWRITE_SOLID][DISPLAY_COLOR:7:7:1][MATERIAL_VALUE:30]
[SPEC_HEAT:409]
[IGNITE_POINT:11440]
[MELTING_POINT:NONE]
[BOILING_POINT:16708]
[MOLAR_MASS:1201]
[IMPACT_YIELD:210000000]
[IMPACT_FRACTURE:420000000]
[IMPACT_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:47404]
[COMPRESSIVE_YIELD:210000000]
[COMPRESSIVE_FRACTURE:420000000]
[COMPRESSIVE_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:47404] bulk modulus 443 GPa
[TENSILE_YIELD:60000000]
[TENSILE_FRACTURE:120000000]
[TENSILE_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:4918] young's modulus 1220 GPa
[TORSION_YIELD:60000000]
[TORSION_FRACTURE:120000000]
[TORSION_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:4918]
[SHEAR_YIELD:60000000]
[SHEAR_FRACTURE:120000000]
[SHEAR_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:12552] shear modulus 478 GPa
[BENDING_YIELD:60000000]
[BENDING_FRACTURE:120000000]
[BENDING_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:12552]
[ENVIRONMENT_SPEC:KIMBERLITE:CLUSTER_SMALL:100]
[SOLID_DENSITY:3520]
[STATE_COLOR:ALL_SOLID:CREAM]

I decided to get Diamond's actual properties and, uh.

It's actually stronger than Adamantine by an order of magnitude. It said that the tensile strength was "60 GPa"; Adamantine is 5 GPa. What.

Adamantine also has 5000000/0 young's, bulk and shear modulus, though, so that's a bit different.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2014, 02:48:16 am »

A diamond sword would actually probably be quite poor as a weapon, now that you bring up comparing them.

Tensile strength not being particularly offensive, that's not helping much. The shear and things are probably where you'd run into issues i.e. your sword snapping in half.

Although I do recall reading about some kind of weird black diamond with inclusions that make it all around actually strong, not just hard. I don't remember the specific name.

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2014, 02:50:47 am »

Those are just stress-strain values. The sword snapping would be counted under BENDING_FRACTURE, which is at 120 GPa there (Adamantine is 5 GPa).

Yeah, these values are wonky. I got them from:

Wikipedia's article on Diamond's material properties
Wikipedia's article on Young's modulus (includes diamond, as do the other two)
Wikipedia's article on Shear modulus
Wikipedia's article on Bulk Modulus

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2014, 03:37:08 am »

Well okay I'm not 100% sure which exact number it would be amongst the engineering variables.

But diamonds hit with hammers will definitely shatter into a million little pieces with very little effort. You can (and people have!) even chip a diamond by stepping on it or letting it fall at an unlucky angle from your finger to a concrete floor or something.

Swinging a diamond sword at somebody would have very similar results to swinging a window pane at somebody. Maybe slightly better or worse, I don't know, but you definitely aren't winning the fight unless you finish it with that first hit.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 03:39:47 am by GavJ »

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2014, 04:04:50 am »

Yeah, metal armour would probably snap a diamond sword. Do weapons even break though? I've never seen it happen. But I was referencing to the fact that most of the time, when I see you, it's you shooting down an idea because it's not exactly like the real life. I've been thinking of making an almost Aztec like civilization, using stone weapons, but I'm not too sure how well they'd perform against a normal fort. Probably pretty poorly, but better than kobolds. This post was mostly to see if people liked the idea.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2014, 04:07:48 am »

Weapons don't get damaged at all.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2014, 04:10:38 am »

Just a word about the "gem weapons would be bad": I have gem weapons for years in my mod, and they are pretty good. Edged gem axes/swords are so good, I dont even make replacements made of metal for them.

You can also give elves better woods ;)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Kumil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2014, 02:37:59 pm »

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2014, 02:38:52 pm »

Ceramic, no. It shatters from a stern look if it's thin enough to be sharp, and those are mostly very modern ceramics anyway. Old world ceramics would nearly always be lower quality (silt impurities for instance) and need to be tempered with grog or shells or similar which makes any kind of edge totally impossible, and simply aren't composed of the same exotic materials.
Ceramic musket balls might be possible though. They're on my to-do list for BPFA.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Kumil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2014, 02:44:43 pm »

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2014, 02:50:59 pm »

Example of a gem sword : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mere_%28weapon%29
Gem axe head : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jadeite#mediaviewer/File:Hache_222.1_Global_fond.jpg

I think that settles it.
Those aren't gemstone, so much, though. Greenstone is geologically a crystal, but so's granite. It's also not hard to find lumps of the stuff big enough to make weapons. Diamonds? Not so much.
Granted, this is DF we're talking about, so common sense need not apply.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2014, 02:52:38 pm »

Like butchering a kitten and making a full leather armor from it? ^^
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2014, 04:30:38 pm »

And boots from its bones.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2014, 04:35:07 pm »

Or an entire floodgate, for that matter.
Pages: 1 [2] 3