Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Do goblins get "horrified"?  (Read 2442 times)

cavedog

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Do goblins get "horrified"?
« on: September 06, 2014, 01:36:40 pm »

I've started a fortress where I've been creating 1x1 corpse stockpiles around the outside of my walls, setting them to only accept goblin/kobold/ogre corpses and body parts. The idea is to hopefully get a few goblins to break ranks and retreat before they even make it into my kill zone. Does anybody know if this will work or not? I've only had the 1st goblin invasion so far, so no chance to !SCIENCE! it for myself.

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
Re: Do goblins get "horrified"?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 03:09:45 pm »

Yep doable, in fact that has happened to a few people albeit out of accident.

TheHossofMoss

• Bay Watcher
  • "Man muss Heu machen, solange die Sonne scheint."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 03:22:05 pm »

Yes, they get horrified. I like to leave their eviscerated comrades in arms at the walls, or near the entrance.

I bid them welcome to Icebored!
On the Fifth Day of Axemas, my love saved the fort from...
Five sieging Werebeasts, four Giant Dingoes, three sneaky Thieves, two drunken Black bears, and a Titan killing spree!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 03:23:01 pm »

Hey, an you mod totems to test discipline?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Mentalpatient87

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2014, 03:28:01 pm »

Are they more horrified by just dead bodies, or would the action of those bodies being pulped in front of them help? If you have a bunch of dead gobbos, you could drop them from a tower onto a siege and cover them in the gore of their comrades.
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow dwarf is either a fool or a coward. Whoever can not take care of themself without that law is both. For a wounded dwarf shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.

cavedog

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2014, 03:34:14 pm »

I might try dumping gobbo stew onto new friends in my next fortress. This fortress I originally posted about just got conquered. First time I've ever lost a fortress to conquest. I let 7 undead into the fortress, figuring I could take out a necromancer siege bit by bit. Those 7 undead promptly butchered 8 steel-clad veterans, 8 archers, and 22 civilians.

What the hell just happened?

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2014, 05:24:08 pm »

Zombies are horrifying and very strong and very very hard to kill.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2014, 07:38:43 pm »

I managed to reduce the size of at least two sieges by piling up bodies near the spawn point for goblins, some of them just saw the bodies and decided "Nope"

Bates

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2014, 05:52:47 am »

Those corpse stockpiles are also a good place to train your new recruits.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2014, 09:59:21 am »

Those corpse stockpiles are also a good place to train your new recruits.
Or your entire fort if you let them rot to skeletons then build them next to the dining room

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer and Space Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2014, 10:15:21 am »

Does this work only with corpses? Has anyone tried toteming dead goblins and horrifying them with that? Totems are a lot easier to place than stockpiles, IMO. Plus they don't rot (I assume a rotting goblin is more horrifying than a skeletal goblin, dunno if it's that indepth however)
"ERUTH PULL THE DAMN LEVER THE ZOMBIES ARE ABOUT TO GET INSIDE!"
"zzz"
BAY 12 MINI CITY: http://bay-12.myminicity.com/

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2014, 10:55:00 am »

Can't make totems out of sapient creatures without changing the raws...

Nikow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2014, 05:12:09 pm »

it is good idea, even working. But when necromancer will come... Even if he will decide to leave, animated corpses will be walking around. At the end, you will be traped in your own fortress surrounded by death...
In my fortress dwarves are dying from old age.
Dwarven wine is a little bit like good chicken soup:  solid at room temperature.

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2014, 12:22:45 am »

it is good idea, even working. But when necromancer will come... Even if he will decide to leave, animated corpses will be walking around. At the end, you will be traped in your own fortress surrounded by death...

Which will then do more than just scare the goblins, I would hope
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2014, 12:41:58 pm »

Does this work only with corpses? Has anyone tried toteming dead goblins and horrifying them with that? Totems are a lot easier to place than stockpiles, IMO. Plus they don't rot (I assume a rotting goblin is more horrifying than a skeletal goblin, dunno if it's that indepth however)

My dwarves and foreign goblins are afraid of skeletons just the same as they were afraid of dead bodies. Well, dwarves aren't THAT afraid any more because they trained their discipline, but fresh gobbos are pussies.

As for placing stockpiles and totems - that's the same procedure for me, maybe I don't know something. Either use a one tile garbage dump, or better a stockpile with only goblins permitted (I permit goblins in four categories under Refuse: Corpses, Body Parts, Skulls and Bones, the main category of just Corpses is disabled) or only totems permitted. For more than one body I use a minecart quantum stockpile.
Pages: [1] 2