Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: Hidden Agenda: A Post-Revolutionary Forum Game [5/5]  (Read 9278 times)

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
Re: Hidden Agenda: A Post-Revolutionary Forum Game [5/5]
« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2014, 05:38:38 am »

What an outrageous suggestion! Shall we relay entirely on America to support our military? And I have also heard that the weapons go directely to the old conventional army. Remember who ainstigated the rebellion.

Most, if not all, of our equipment is already American, we can't exactly shoot American guns with Cuban shells, can we? However, in the interest of fairness, the reduced military procurement budget will be redirected to supply the most under-equipped units (i.e. primarily Revolutionary Army ones).
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Evil Marahadja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2014, 09:39:38 am »

Most, if not all, of our equipment is already American, we can't exactly shoot American guns with Cuban shells, can we? However, in the interest of fairness, the reduced military procurement budget will be redirected to supply the most under-equipped units (i.e. primarily Revolutionary Army ones).

That might be more agreeable. I have heard from the sub-commandant that the work regarding merging the two armies are being blocked by conventional officers. What are the primeminister and defence minister going to do about that problem?

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2014, 10:21:25 am »

That might be more agreeable. I have heard from the sub-commandant that the work regarding merging the two armies are being blocked by conventional officers. What are the primeminister and defence minister going to do about that problem?

Sigh. Sometimes I wonder if my 2 top generals have been replaced by middle school girls. Please don't bring the assembly any more hearsay without concrete proof.

I would like to hear some ideas about Farsante's Land. What is your plan, Sen'or Luiz?
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Evil Marahadja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 01, 2014, 11:17:05 am »

Sigh. Sometimes I wonder if my 2 top generals have been replaced by middle school girls. Please don't bring the assembly any more hearsay without concrete proof.

I would like to hear some ideas about Farsante's Land. What is your plan, Sen'or Luiz?

While I agree that the problems might not be entierly the conventional forces faualt. It is still an important issue that needs to be dealt with.

Also, regarding the food crisis. Unless someone else will do anything productive about it, I will issue a food ration system. Providing the poorest with some basic food at a much cheeper cost. The land without a people is not a country.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 11:37:37 am by Evil Marahadja »

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 01, 2014, 11:41:08 am »

By food rationing do you mean "a limit on how much a person can buy per day"? Or a food allowance to the poor? If the later, how do you propose to fund it?

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 01, 2014, 11:56:55 am »

Also, regarding the food crisis. Unless someone else will do anything productive about it, I will issue a food ration system. Providing the poorest with some basic food at a much cheeper cost. The land without a people is not a country.

HOLD IT! As Agricultural Minister i believe my input is necessary here. First of all we will NOT we DO have enough food it's simply that people are afraid of not having food.

To elaborate, Imagine Pedro wants rice for his family but hears a rice famine may be coming from local rumors in the village or here in Poyais Markets. What does pedro do? Prepare for the worst of course an although this is fine at first all of the extra food that he buys raises the prices for the rice. All of the sudden the rumor becomes reality because of Pedro's fear. As the Price continues to go after pedro has bought his food others do the same, before you know it rice costs 3 times the amount it's worth in less than a day. I submit that the Dictators land should be given to the Coffee growers and other campesinos who manage small to medium sized farms. Doing so would mean extra food on the market and the fact that more food is coming in means that rumors will be much weaker in the future. Thus the chances of another fear mongered rise of food will cease to happen.

I would also like to recommend a Land Reform program to the President focusing on helping these same Campesinos. I know this will anger the 60% of cotton growers but there products are just..worthless. Chimerica needs to generate funds if we are to pay off this debt, an while i concede it won't be done tomorrow or in a year it must be worked on. We can't rely on loans forever from the IMF. Not to mention there Austerity ideas would cripple peoples hopes of our new Government by making us look inefficient.

Also i'd like to remind the Interior Minister that i am the one who deals with food around here, he should instead deal with the rampant corruption as it is offices duty.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 11:58:33 am by 3man75 »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 01, 2014, 12:34:32 pm »

I'd like to be waitlisted in case someone quits or something.

Spoiler: Sign-Up sheet. (click to show/hide)

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 01, 2014, 12:47:05 pm »

Cool idea!  I'll be watching and can offer suggestions or participation if there's room.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Evil Marahadja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 01, 2014, 12:52:04 pm »

HOLD IT! As Agricultural Minister i believe my input is necessary here. First of all we will NOT we DO have enough food it's simply that people are afraid of not having food.

To elaborate, Imagine Pedro wants rice for his family but hears a rice famine may be coming from local rumors in the village or here in Poyais Markets. What does pedro do? Prepare for the worst of course an although this is fine at first all of the extra food that he buys raises the prices for the rice. All of the sudden the rumor becomes reality because of Pedro's fear. As the Price continues to go after pedro has bought his food others do the same, before you know it rice costs 3 times the amount it's worth in less than a day. I submit that the Dictators land should be given to the Coffee growers and other campesinos who manage small to medium sized farms. Doing so would mean extra food on the market and the fact that more food is coming in means that rumors will be much weaker in the future. Thus the chances of another fear mongered rise of food will cease to happen.

I would also like to recommend a Land Reform program to the President focusing on helping these same Campesinos. I know this will anger the 60% of cotton growers but there products are just..worthless. Chimerica needs to generate funds if we are to pay off this debt, an while i concede it won't be done tomorrow or in a year it must be worked on. We can't rely on loans forever from the IMF. Not to mention there Austerity ideas would cripple peoples hopes of our new Government by making us look inefficient.

Also i'd like to remind the Interior Minister that i am the one who deals with food around here, he should instead deal with the rampant corruption as it is offices duty.

Yes, yes, it is very easy to so casually dismiss starvation when you have food in your belly. Something needs to be done both short-term and longterm.That is why we need foods stamps. Obviously we should only subside the necessary food needed for daily survival. To prevent the stocking of food.
And, yes, it is indeed my problem when the starved masses go on to the streets protesting against your failures. Then it becomes my problem to clean up your mess.

I suggest we sell of most of our land to the middle class, just as the agriculture minister suggested. And that money shall go to these food stamps. Helping us solving the short and long term food-shortages.

[/color]

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 01, 2014, 12:57:30 pm »

Could I roleplay the IMF representative maybe?  I'd have no real power but would be available to say things no one would listen to.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 01, 2014, 01:03:21 pm »

To elaborate, Imagine Pedro wants rice for his family but hears a rice famine may be coming from local rumors in the village or here in Poyais Markets. What does pedro do? Prepare for the worst of course an although this is fine at first all of the extra food that he buys raises the prices for the rice. All of the sudden the rumor becomes reality because of Pedro's fear. As the Price continues to go after pedro has bought his food others do the same, before you know it rice costs 3 times the amount it's worth in less than a day.
I believe you are actually making quite the case for rationing here.
I submit that the Dictators land should be given to the Coffee growers and other campesinos who manage small to medium sized farms. Doing so would mean extra food on the market and the fact that more food is coming in means that rumors will be much weaker in the future. Thus the chances of another fear mongered rise of food will cease to happen.
"Give" is a bit of an overstatement, we are not all Marxists here. What I would like to see instead is a system of long term lease. This will insure that the government continues to receive revenue from the land, while significantly lowering the barrier to entry, allowing even the currently landless to participate.

I would also like to recommend a Land Reform program to the President focusing on helping these same Campesinos. I know this will anger the 60% of cotton growers but there products are just..worthless. Chimerica needs to generate funds if we are to pay off this debt, an while i concede it won't be done tomorrow or in a year it must be worked on.
"Land reform" sounds nice, but what does it entail? The land already has owners, in what way (if any) are you planing to compensate them?

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 01, 2014, 01:26:28 pm »

It appears i have made mistakes in my attempt to commuicate, I apologize.

Cotton cultivators are currently the power house when it comes to agricultural development, 60% of the land is being held by very rich people and although i harbor no ill will against those whose ancestors have worked hard to create fortunes, such as the rosarios, i feel that cotton is not very..worthwile in this production line. There's simply too much cotton that we don't need and are trading at a loss in the international markets.

Coffe and more specifically food, which i was talking about, is not produced very well here because of how the workable land is being used Mr. President. Remember 60% of the agriculturale land is used for cotton which there is too much of. Coffe, which i may add is a good morning bevrage for all of humanity, is going up in prices as the world sees it's splendor. Medical Profesionals have even attributed coffe to a natural anti stress solution which has helped soar it's popularity and prices. Currently reports indicate that 20% is being used for coffe and other foods in our nation, while another 20% is being used by the state in communal farms. Which have been doing...poorly. I beleive we should lease this Goverment land, which was seized by Farsante's old Goverment, to the Campesinos. If said campesiono does well, he or she keeps the land. If they do not we simply put it up for lease again for someone else to raise crops adequately. That way even if some fail the land is worked by the best hands around the clock.

As for Land Reform. Well this is something The president may need to get ready for because although it is not marxist..well you'll see.

60% of land is working too much cotton that is selling terribly and is due to decline. 20% makes coffe beans and food that is going up in value and need. That last 20% is being poorly used period.

We should offer to buy out some land from the cultivators and lease it to the Campesinos. I'd say around 5-10% would be fine. While all Goverment land goes to the Campesinos.

Campesinos, who again make coffe which is going up in price, and food which are people need would control and work 45-50% of the land. Cotton cultivators would still have alot of land so that to work and produce as can be seen but with this solution we cover our food shortages and drop our malnutrition losses of lives.

I warn however, to give land to the landless labour movement. They have good hearts but they would only feed themselves in non- profitable family farms. These will simply not due.

Oh an Mr. President. Me and my Brother the Defense minister are part of the Conservative party...i'm feeling weird being called Marxist.

Thought's Mr. President?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 01, 2014, 01:34:38 pm »

Could I roleplay the IMF representative maybe?  I'd have no real power but would be available to say things no one would listen to.
I prefer to retain control about all of the game's characters. I might introduce others later on, when this game diverges from it's inspiration.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 01, 2014, 01:54:36 pm »

Oh an Mr. President. Me and my Brother the Defense minister are part of the Conservative party...i'm feeling weird being called Marxist.
Take it from a centrist, sen'or Luiz, on this issue at least you are on the Left.
while another 20% is being used by the state in communal farms.
This is news to me.  ???

Anyway, you seem to be trying to solve the problem of coffee production by trying to take away land from those who use it to grow cotton. Would it not be more productive to simply convince those engaged in it to switch to a more profitable crop? Perhaps We could fund the wheat import scheme through a tax on cotton?

As for the currently landless running family farms, there is nothing inherently wrong with those, and the very need to pay for land lease will encourage them to sell food, alleviating the current crisis.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 01:57:37 pm by a1s »

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 01, 2014, 01:57:25 pm »

since sheb wants to move in i want to bow out...yer can take over :P
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8