Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Everyone is John - PBP Edition [4/4]  (Read 2743 times)

GentlemanRaptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Got a present for ya!
    • View Profile
Everyone is John - PBP Edition [4/4]
« on: August 25, 2014, 04:02:38 pm »

It's time to play Everyone is John, a rules-light RPG about John.

Who is John, you ask? John is a man who lives in Minneapolis. He is also completely insane. You, the players, play the voices inside of John's head. Each voice has a character sheet that will appear as follows.

Code: [Select]
Name
Willpower
Skills
Obsession

Your voice's name is pretty straightforward. Willpower is used to wrest control of John from other voices and to help with difficult tasks. Most voices start with 10 willpower. Skills are anything your voice is good at, written in short phrases such as "Excellent driver" or "World's greatest nose-picker". Most voices take 2 skills, but you can take 3 if you sacrifice 3 of your starting willpower. Each voice gets 1 Obsession. Obsessions are SUPER SECRET and are the game's victory condition. Obsessions come in three grades:

Level 1: (pretty easy to accomplish, like "Pigging out on candy")
Level 2: (more difficult or risky, like, "dressing up in women's clothing and hitting on strangers")
Level 3: (nearly impossible to accomplish, like, "Blowing up buildings").

The harder obsessions count more than the easier ones. All sheets should be delivered by PM, unless you want the other players to know your objective.

RULES:

Play begins with John waking up in the morning, and a test for control of him. In order to do this test, all voices interested in controlling John will bid Willpower (in spoilers, no peeking until everyone's placed their bids). If two voices both bid the highest Willpower, a roll-off occurs. Highest roll wins. The voice that wins loses the Willpower they bid, and then they have control of John. When John attempts anything that an ordinary person might fail at, he must roll 1d6. If what he is attempting is covered by the current voice's Skills, he must roll a 3+. If it isn't covered by the Skills, he must roll a 6+. However, voices may spend Willpower before the roll to add +1 to the roll for every Willpower spent. If John gets hurt, another test for control occurs. If nothing occurs for about 10 minutes, I roll a d6. On a 4+, John falls asleep. When he awakes, another test for control occurs and all voices gain 1 Willpower. The game ends when all voices run out of Willpower, or when John is dead. At this point, voices multiply the number of times they completed their Obsession by their Obsession's level. The player with the most points wins!

I will be rolling the dice, mostly. If you wish to roll the dice yourself, I'll create a Roll20 room and invite you. Roll there and post results here. I'll take 4 players for the game, but I might be convinced to take 2 more if there's enough interest.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 08:04:30 pm by GentlemanRaptor »
Amusingly, he's a Marksdwarf, which gives me the mental image of him conducting medical malpractice an appendectomy from fifty paces with a crossbow.
On bay12, a poll option of basically 'nuke the world' named 'Apocalypse Hitler' is like asking an alcoholic if they want some whiskey.

GentlemanRaptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Got a present for ya!
    • View Profile
Re: Everyone is John - PBP Edition [0/4]
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 05:04:51 pm »

Spoiler: Bibby (Nerjin) (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 08:53:06 pm by GentlemanRaptor »
Amusingly, he's a Marksdwarf, which gives me the mental image of him conducting medical malpractice an appendectomy from fifty paces with a crossbow.
On bay12, a poll option of basically 'nuke the world' named 'Apocalypse Hitler' is like asking an alcoholic if they want some whiskey.

GentlemanRaptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Got a present for ya!
    • View Profile
Re: Everyone is John - PBP Edition [1/4]
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 07:04:52 pm »

Got one player. Still need 3 more.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
Re: Everyone is John - PBP Edition [1/4]
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 07:19:35 pm »

Ptp

GentlemanRaptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Got a present for ya!
    • View Profile
Re: Everyone is John - PBP Edition [4/4]
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 08:06:13 pm »

Aaand that's everyone! All sheets are in, and I'm ready to go. So. Time to bid Willpower before John wakes up. Just put, in a spoiler, how much you will bid. No peeking, and no editing posts.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2014, 08:31:40 pm »

Spoiler: Bid (click to show/hide)
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

Nunzillor

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014, 08:47:55 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2014, 02:31:40 pm »

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2014, 03:51:42 pm »

“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

GentlemanRaptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Got a present for ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2014, 04:20:22 pm »

I rolled off, and Froggy is in control first! Froggy now has 6 willpower. Okay, here's the starting narration.

John has awoken in a foggy alley wearing a tan overcoat. The overcoat has, in its pockets, the following:

One lighter
One incredibly patriotic firework
One dead rat
$23 in cash
Donald Trump's driver's license.

John staggers to his feet, moaning. "Oh god, my head...hey, where am I?"

Phrase all commands as actual verbal instructions to John from your Voice.

GentlemanRaptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Got a present for ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2014, 09:05:05 pm »

You guys probably oughta set this thread to notify. It gets very fast paced from here (relatively speaking).

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2014, 10:27:05 pm »

Fun fact: Email notification doesn't spoiler stuff.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

GentlemanRaptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Got a present for ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2014, 04:24:35 am »

Fun fact: Email notification doesn't spoiler stuff.

Huh. Did not actually know that.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2014, 07:21:57 am »

John I need you to get a knife and some gloves. We've got work to do.

GentlemanRaptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Got a present for ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2014, 08:10:16 am »

"O-okay, that sounds good...wait, who are you? Agh!"

John stumbles out of the alley, and spies a hardware store directly across the street from him. He staggers in to the store, and finds (rolled 3) the cheapest pair of gloves and knife he can find. They cost $7.00. John checks out and walks out of the store.

"Alright, what now? This is getting freaky! People are starting to stare!"
Pages: [1] 2 3 4