Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 271 272 [273] 274 275 ... 295

Author Topic: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice  (Read 428429 times)

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice
« Reply #4080 on: April 20, 2021, 04:27:26 pm »

https://twitter.com/carterforva/status/1383526013821329417

Unsurprising behavior. Similar to NYPD spending nights collecting overtime by parading through black neighborhoods sirens blaring and/or playing minstrel music.

Chauvin got a guilty verdict on all counts (up to and including 2nd-degree murder). Appeal is likely, mind, so not fully over yet.

Speaking of, I got curious and went looking. I found this: https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2021/03/02/court-date-appeal-dallas-officer-amber-guyger-murder-botham-jean/

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4081 on: April 20, 2021, 04:45:23 pm »

Yeah, I'm kind of concerned folks will lose track of it during the (usually lengthy) appeals process. But hey, I've certainly been wrong before.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4082 on: April 20, 2021, 05:58:09 pm »

What I cynically expect is the trajectory:

-Convicted on every count in a big show trial to demonstrate how the city is taking it seriously.
-Months go by as appeals are processed, the public loses interest as they believe justice has been served.
-New judge grants appeal, overturns all but the smallest charges and the law enforcement establishment gets the message that it's still ok to continue doing business as usual.

Although revoking his bail was a pretty significant fuck you. But again, what one judge says can be overturned by a later one.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4084 on: April 21, 2021, 04:36:54 am »

A couple of quotes in response to the verdict that I thought were pertinent:

"That's what creates a lot of complexity in this moment, the fact that we were all glued to our TV sets because we knew – we saw a murder in front of our eyes and yet we didn't know if there would be a guilty verdict – it tells you everything."
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

"True justice requires that we come to terms with the fact that Black Americans are treated differently, every day. It requires us to recognise that millions of our friends, family and fellow citizens live in fear that their next encounter with law enforcement could be their last."
Barack Obama

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4085 on: April 21, 2021, 07:29:02 am »

https://www.truthorfiction.com/in-2020-there-were-18-days-when-police-officers-didnt-kill-anyone-at-all/

Remember back when it originally happened, the claim was that Minneapolis PD tried to arrest someone who was violent and on drugs, and no weapons were used. This is why police have been attacking anyone with cameras around them. Video makes it much more difficult for them to lie.

But there are hundreds of killer cops a year that get rewarded for a "job well done", and maybe one a year who sees justice.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 07:42:14 am by Iduno »

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4086 on: April 22, 2021, 03:21:32 am »

I’ll be nice and ask you what that even means before responding.

The officer doesn't have enough time to react and see that the gun is no longer in the kid's hand (where it was a second ago) before he pulls the trigger.

He's saying that officer's life was worth more than even the attempt to establish the situation before he blew that kid away. Because living cops are preferable to dead kids in Bumber's world, even if those cops are flat out wrong.

Bumber, if everything is a shoot first ask questions later event, how the fuck is ANYONE EVER supposed to be on the right side of the law? The cop makes the choice to shoot, not us. (And by "us" I mean "those of us who aren't holding a weapon which includes this kid and how many fucking people over the last year?") We need that fucking time to not be dead and for officers to make a determination we shouldn't be killed. Kinda fucking hard when they give the situation 200% less time than it takes to microwave a burrito. "oh seconds matter." Yeah, they sure do, for making sure they're not going to shoot an unarmed child.

But I guess this is what we can expect from today's crack squads of highly trained, professional, highly competent, selfless, brave heroes willing to risk their lives to protect society and their communities.

19 fucking seconds.

The officer already knew he was reporting on a gunfire incident. The first 18 seconds were spent chasing somebody (probably can't even tell it's a kid) holding a gun. In the 19th second, the kid turns around and drops the gun behind his back, where the officer can't see. The kids hands are also hidden behind his back. The officer has every reason to believe that the kid is still holding the gun when he brings his hands out from behind his back. The officer has less than a second to determine if the kid's still armed and going to shoot.

Considering the overwhelming majority of those 19 seconds were spent chasing an armed suspect, I'm not sure what good you think extra time would've done if the kid didn't decide to drop the weapon until just after the officer shouted at him to.

Like, the kid did everything the cop asked him to do. He fucking froze, as the cop was shouting, he was in the process of showing him his fucking hands, as the cop was shouting, and the cop shot him.

Unfortunately, the way in which the kid complied made it seem indistinguishable from an attempt to draw a gun from behind his back. Maybe the officer should have ordered him to stop and face the fence, instead. The officer shouted what he was trained to say, however, following procedure.

If the gun had been dropped in the officer's line of sight, that also may have avoided the shooting, since police are trained to focus on firearms more than the suspects themselves.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 03:32:01 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #4087 on: April 22, 2021, 07:56:25 am »

So he got chased for two blocks and then he got shot for not following directions the right way. The officer simultaneously didn't have enough time to react and had nineteen seconds to chase a guy known to have a gun, making him both a huge threat and a threat that could be handled by running at him, and as soon as he's out of breath, he's too dangerous to continue not-running, or, when directed, living.

Christ on a bicycle, he shouldn't have run, or committed crimes, or had a gun, or followed directions the wrong way, or maybe, just maybe, he should've made the right choice and said 'no' when the bullet tried to enter his body. Totally the kid's fault and I hope he gets to defend his choices in court. Oh, wait.

My takeaway from this- do cardio to increase your odds of not getting shot.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #4088 on: April 22, 2021, 10:12:03 am »

Since American streets are literally built into grids, how hard is it to quardon an area and do a co-ordinated contain-and-sweep when gunfire is reported? Why does a lone officer need to be chasing an armed suspect in the first place?

Pretty sure that's a tldr of how British police tend to deal with an active shooter scenario. Get the civilians out of the way, control their movements, and basically force a surrender or at least a chance to talk them down from suicide-by-cop.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 10:35:43 am by MorleyDev »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4089 on: April 22, 2021, 11:28:25 am »

In the 19th second, the kid turns around and drops the gun behind his back, where the officer can't see. The kids hands are also hidden behind his back. The officer has every reason to believe that the kid is still holding the gun when he brings his hands out from behind his back. The officer has less than a second to determine if the kid's still armed and going to shoot.

It was 19 seconds from the time he exited the patrol car. He didn't make a "split second" decision. He got out, raised his weapon, shouted and AFTER THE KID DROPPED THE GUN, he blew him away.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4090 on: April 22, 2021, 05:26:52 pm »

tl;dr it's the thirteen-year-old child's fault he got murdered and not the fully grown and professionally trained police officer's

neat post
Black lives matter.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4091 on: April 22, 2021, 11:22:52 pm »

It was 19 seconds from the time he exited the patrol car. He didn't make a "split second" decision. He got out, raised his weapon, shouted and AFTER THE KID DROPPED THE GUN, he blew him away.

18 seconds of rightfully assuming the kid was carrying a gun. A split second to figure out if the kid was bringing a gun out from behind his back with intent to fire.

I'll reiterate: The cop doesn't know that the gun has been dropped.

I don't have anything intelligent to say, so I'll shove words into other people's mouths.

cool
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4092 on: April 23, 2021, 12:54:31 am »

Bumber this is the literal fucking point. If a police officer doesn't know what is happening, unloading his weapon isn't an acceptable response. If you really think it is, then you have a fundamental misunderstanding of what "peace keeping" means.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4093 on: April 23, 2021, 01:11:08 am »

tl;dr it's the thirteen-year-old child's fault he got murdered and not the fully grown and professionally trained police officer's

neat post

Regardless of your actual position, Bumber is making completely intelligible and reasonable points. This sort of strawman is frankly trolling.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4094 on: April 23, 2021, 09:01:40 am »

18 seconds of rightfully assuming the kid was carrying a gun. A split second to figure out if the kid was bringing a gun out from behind his back with intent to fire.

I'll reiterate: The cop doesn't know that the gun has been dropped.

19 seconds of wrongly assuming that the kid posed a threat.  At least a second of premeditating murder.

At best we coud say that the cop didn't know if the kid was a theat or not.  So that might (at best) make it murder two.

Self defence can't fly when there is no immediately life threatening situation.
Pages: 1 ... 271 272 [273] 274 275 ... 295