Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 269 270 [271] 272 273 ... 295

Author Topic: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice  (Read 428420 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice
« Reply #4050 on: April 16, 2021, 12:13:01 pm »

Houston.. We have a problem.
Lot more places than just Houston has the problem, really.

Spoiler: *reads this exchange* (click to show/hide)
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4051 on: April 16, 2021, 12:41:37 pm »

If it makes you feel any better about your age, it's not like I didn't recognize the reference. If mart had used something else it wouldn't have made for as appropriate a segue.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4052 on: April 16, 2021, 12:46:42 pm »

Scriver's methapor (if I understood it correctly) just points out the institutional racism that puts black people into the line of police fire more often than it does white people.
The police being racist or not is inconsequential. They're a symptom of an underlying issue. Poverty and hopelesness affecting black people disproportionally.

EDIT: to put it in other words. The police being racist is not the problem. The problem is company X rather hiring or promoting John McWhiteface than John McBlackface, when both have equal credentials.

I'm pretty sure it was just a shitpost...
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4053 on: April 16, 2021, 04:29:24 pm »

Another day, another police killing.

This time a 13 year old boy.

That's weird, who would be able to just shoot an unarmed child?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4054 on: April 16, 2021, 04:32:30 pm »

The tree is rotten, indeed. That shit is like something out of a Robocop movie.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4055 on: April 16, 2021, 05:12:48 pm »

I'm pretty sure it was just a shitpost...
I'm pretty sure it wasn't (at least I am not aware of Scriver having a tendeny of shitposting. At all..)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 05:16:12 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4056 on: April 16, 2021, 07:59:17 pm »

factor1 * factor2 * factor3 * factor4 * factor{5..n} = black people are shot by police more

There are multiple factors that put black people in front of a gun more often. You can put down Racism as a factor, make a list of other factors, determine weightings for these factors, then work to reduce all of them. Or, find people who are already looking at things this way and ask how you can help. I have heard discourse on public radio that included these topics.

"Institutional racism" is a large factor... blacks with outstanding warrants, blacks on parole, blacks with associations  to "known felons" (those "spider-web" people-associating databases), and everyone with more prejudice due to being unsure or misunderstanding spoken words and gestures, etc. This makes institutional racism self-perpetuating, so even if you replace a large portion of the police, they will be using the institutional records and facing people who expect conflict. And, not just blacks, hispanics.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4057 on: April 17, 2021, 06:27:02 pm »

They lied about doing anything to keep the police accountable in Minneapolis, the cops murdered yet another person, and this is how they let people know they're serious. Gunpoint arrests for being out past 8 PM curfews.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4058 on: April 17, 2021, 09:56:39 pm »

19 seconds. That's all the time he gave that kid.

What's that even supposed to mean?

It appears the kid had been holding a gun less than a second before he was shot. (Gunpowder residue was found on his hands, indicating he had at least held the gun that was found on the ground.)

The kid was asked to show his hands, promptly dropped the gun behind his back, and unfortunately moved his hands in a way that looked like he was going to aim at the officer before reaching the raised position.

The officer was responding to a report of gunfire, so it's not like this was another incident with a traffic stop.

poor black people are 1.5x as likely to be killed by police than poor white people

They're over twice as likely to be poor, however, which may play a role in the extra police encounters. Location might also play a role. If poor whites tend to live in more rural areas, then they're also less likely to run into police.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 10:19:19 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #4059 on: April 17, 2021, 10:23:21 pm »

Who gives a flying fuck if the kid had a gun at any point before he was shot? He was shot when he didn’t have it, and was given zero fucking chance to show he didn’t have it before he was blown away.

If the cop is so worried about being shot maybe he shouldn’t chase someone down an alley on his own.

Better to be judged by twelve than carried by four, amirite.

Cunt probably told the kid to stop because it’s easier to hit a stationary target.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4060 on: April 17, 2021, 10:26:54 pm »

Who gives a flying fuck if the kid had a gun at any point before he was shot? He was shot when he didn’t have it, and was given zero fucking chance to show he didn’t have it before he was blown away.

Reaction time.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4061 on: April 17, 2021, 10:35:00 pm »

Oh shit he dropped his gun, time to draw my taser.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4062 on: April 17, 2021, 10:37:31 pm »

Oh shit he dropped his gun, time to draw my taser.

Oh shit my taser is loaded with 9mm
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #4063 on: April 17, 2021, 10:42:33 pm »

Reaction time.

I’ll be nice and ask you what that even means before responding.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4064 on: April 18, 2021, 12:16:29 am »

He's saying that officer's life was worth more than even the attempt to establish the situation before he blew that kid away. Because living cops are preferable to dead kids in Bumber's world, even if those cops are flat out wrong.

Bumber, if everything is a shoot first ask questions later event, how the fuck is ANYONE EVER supposed to be on the right side of the law? The cop makes the choice to shoot, not us. (And by "us" I mean "those of us who aren't holding a weapon which includes this kid and how many fucking people over the last year?") We need that fucking time to not be dead and for officers to make a determination we shouldn't be killed. Kinda fucking hard when they give the situation 200% less time than it takes to microwave a burrito. "oh seconds matter." Yeah, they sure do, for making sure they're not going to shoot an unarmed child.

But I guess this is what we can expect from today's crack squads of highly trained, professional, highly competent, selfless, brave heroes willing to risk their lives to protect society and their communities.

19 fucking seconds.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 02:14:29 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 269 270 [271] 272 273 ... 295