Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 240 241 [242] 243 244 ... 295

Author Topic: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice  (Read 429845 times)

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
Re: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice
« Reply #3615 on: June 24, 2020, 10:43:25 am »

So there was some link on the previous (50-count) page that had this quote:

Camden is 93 percent minority

I mean I understand the intent here but when you have an area that is 93% anything, it can only be a minority in reference to some larger area.

It makes me wonder - when you have cities that are so homogeneous - how do those cities suffer from the type of issues that are making headlines today?  I'm not trying to be obtuse - if an entire community is so populated, how are the systematic issues effected? The two options are internally or at the boundary to the community.

If the effects are internal, that is... provocative.
If at the boundary - how big does a community have to get before it can start fending off the "systematic bias" of the larger external communities? 100 people? 1000? 10k?
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3616 on: June 24, 2020, 10:48:38 am »

Majority black and other similarly disadvantaged minority cities still suffer from the historical lag in capital growth, and it's common for some of the poorer cities to have a lot of out-of-town landlords. Furthermore, a city like Camden is entirely possible to still suffer from discrimination from banks and lenders even if it is homogeneous.

Obviously, each city is different, and I can't explain the history of Camden or what causes it's issues, but a lot of majority black areas in the North are due to White Flight/Redlining, which dropped property values.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3617 on: June 24, 2020, 10:53:09 am »

Police searched but found nothing, residents broke in, found some horrific shit including what certainly looks to be dated lists of sex acts.

I'll question. Where was this info posted?

That specific one is this tweet.  Not a dated list now that I look at it again, and not really clear what the fuck it's supposed to mean but it's pretty weird.  Apparently one of the documents has the name Roderick Bowie on it, who's a registered child sex offender in Wisconsin. 

Other things supposedly recovered from the house include bloody children's clothing, but haven't seen any footage or pictures from inside the house aside from what's on its real estate listing, which are also pretty bizarre, including a makeshift bed and teddy bears in what looks to be a closet or a room that's been built with additional walls.

Here's a screenshot of a cliff's notes version, bear in mind this was a big chaotic shitshow and we still have no idea what's going on.  Notably, the house in question has been getting complaints about shady shit since October.
Shoes...

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3618 on: June 24, 2020, 11:03:41 am »

Right - but wouldn't at some point that community be large enough that it can start buying back the property from the out of town landlords?  How big do you need to be to start your own bank so you can provide capital growth organically?

As an aside - it's arguable that property values being high should not be a goal. I personally don't want my money tied up in my house; I'd rather have low-cost, high quality housing.  Not the low-quality, high-cost housing that is being built in my suburban area. (Especially since I value undeveloped land higher than developed, but apparently the county/city planners here do not share that value, so they are demolishing meadows and forests to put in housing and commerce*.)  And no I don't think that "quality community services" are only possible with high home values driving high property tax; you can change those levers so you have reasonable community revenue with lower housing prices.

Spoiler: *A minor rant (click to show/hide)

Aside:  what kind of special person do you need to be to do something like run a sex trafficking ring and put it in writing?
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3619 on: June 24, 2020, 11:04:32 am »

Majority black and other similarly disadvantaged minority cities still suffer from the historical lag in capital growth, and it's common for some of the poorer cities to have a lot of out-of-town landlords. Furthermore, a city like Camden is entirely possible to still suffer from discrimination from banks and lenders even if it is homogeneous.

Obviously, each city is different, and I can't explain the history of Camden or what causes it's issues, but a lot of majority black areas in the North are due to White Flight/Redlining, which dropped property values.

Also, lots of minority communities suffer from their police forces being almost entirely non-local white officers.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3620 on: June 24, 2020, 11:18:10 am »

Also, lots of minority communities suffer from their police forces being almost entirely non-local white officers.

I'm especially curious about this one - how does this happen?  I mean even with gerrymandering how can you get enough of the city council or whatever that controls the police department to hire a police force that is so out of whack compared to proportional representation?

Is this part of the proposed reforms, to make sure that a police force is appointed by a sufficiently "local" group, rather than appointed by say the county or state or whatever?

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3621 on: June 24, 2020, 11:20:58 am »

A weird thing that happened in Camden was actually that the police force became *less* representative of the population after the rebuild, because they had to hire new officers, and had to look outside the city. The force went from ~60% black to ~40% black.

Edit: Many majority-minority cities don't have representative forces, though. Camden was a bit of an exception there.  And representative forces aren't perfect either - See Atlanta.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 11:30:50 am by Doomblade187 »
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3622 on: June 24, 2020, 11:29:22 am »

I'm especially curious about this one - how does this happen?  I mean even with gerrymandering how can you get enough of the city council or whatever that controls the police department to hire a police force that is so out of whack compared to proportional representation?

I honestly couldn't tell you in detail.  Just that systemic disenfranchisement of minorities is a very much real thing.  And that every time one of these schisms happen in response to a police murder, I see it pointed out that the police force in the community where it happened was mostly non-local white people.  This is why you see police described so often as an occupying force.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

DontMineYellowSnow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3623 on: June 24, 2020, 11:45:42 am »

Is this part of the proposed reforms, to make sure that a police force is appointed by a sufficiently "local" group, rather than appointed by say the county or state or whatever?

Its not really a nefarious thing.  They need people who are:

1) Interested
2) Qualified
3) Eligible

Statistically, we know that being a 'minority' and being less formally educated as well as tending to have criminal records correlate.  I'm not touching the issue of causation here with a 10-foot pole, but we know they are correlated.  In addition, and here is where I'm now inferring, groups of people who are at the center stage as being oppressed by police probably have less interest in joining the police and have a less appropriate mindset to be part of the police force.  So, they don't have as many applicants in these communities and have to outsource to other communities.

Its not uncommon.  Outsourcing happens in all kinds of industries across the world.  Sometimes its outsourced to the next town, or state, or country.  Personally, given the problems we have with the police now, I would prefer this system to lowering the standards to accept candidates who are considered unqualified.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3624 on: June 24, 2020, 12:03:48 pm »

The current qualifications are already scary enough, when you consider how dangerous modern police can be toward law abiding citizens.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 12:05:43 pm by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3625 on: June 24, 2020, 01:10:44 pm »

You get a sort of funny collaboration between nazi cops and ACAB there. On the inside, the nazi cops only want to hire their cousins and buddies who they know think like them, and so keep the group going (this is why there are occasionally literal organized groups within departments, like the ones who all got iron cross tattoos). And on the outside, most people who are targeted minorities or are half-decent human beings don't want to become fucking cops, and so the pool shrinks.

This actually goes beyond just hiring guys from the sticks who hang totally ironic Kekistan flag on their trucks, and all the way to straight up not having enough applicants to fill out the ranks. Granted, it doesn't help that the cop definition of filling out the ranks is ceaseless overwhelming numbers.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3626 on: June 26, 2020, 11:35:57 am »

There have been some concerning incidents of people (presumably police?) whisking protesters into unmarked vans.

https://mobile.twitter.com/dearestdeering/status/1276016110169657345

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #3627 on: June 26, 2020, 11:47:53 am »

So now there's a conspiracy crock of nonsense going around now that George Floyd was actually dead for years and that the the video was a deep fake. Also it says that Derek Chauvin was actually Ben Bailey, the host of Cash Cab.
Hah?
Wuh?

What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3628 on: June 26, 2020, 04:40:57 pm »

So now there's a conspiracy crock of nonsense going around now that George Floyd was actually dead for years and that the the video was a deep fake. Also it says that Derek Chauvin was actually Ben Bailey, the host of Cash Cab.
Hah?
Wuh?

Yeah. After the video of the old man being pushed and then left bleeding from his head on the ground, people came out of the woodwork with proof that blood can't melt steel beams come out of you that quickly.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3629 on: June 27, 2020, 02:29:06 am »

Hah?
Wuh?

Amazingly, the conspiracy is being pushed by a black Republican congressional candidate. The whole optics of that kind of make your head spin. I guess black candidates need to go that extra mile to stand out, and if you're trying to run as a Republican that means going that little bit extra cray-cray than the rival candidate.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/george-floyd-murder-fake-conspiracy-theory-hoax-republican-gop-missouri-a9580896.html
Pages: 1 ... 240 241 [242] 243 244 ... 295