Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 183 184 [185] 186 187 ... 295

Author Topic: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice  (Read 430291 times)

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
Re: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice
« Reply #2760 on: May 29, 2020, 07:11:57 am »

Note to anybody who's using the "Why won't these coward protesters target a police station then, huh?" take: The protests have now targeted police stations, and MPD is running scared.
Usually the answer to this question is very simple: Attacking the police station is more likely to get you shot vs attacking the Target might get you that sweet new television that you always wanted (but it’s first come first served)

What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2761 on: May 29, 2020, 08:32:09 am »

One of CNN's reporters was arrested by police this morning, with no reason given and no apparent cause. Notably, CNN had several reporters on the scene, and all were treated very well by police, except for the one black reporter.
it is a mystery
maybe to future generations where the context isn't 5 seconds away on google

The CNN crew was amidst a protest over the unjust death in custody of George Floyd.  Police in riot gear moved in and arrested them, among MANY others, possibly because a nearby building was set ablaze.  I'm not dismissing the protest as a riot - George Floyd's death WAS unjust, the protest was entirely justified, and a few bad actors can't invalidate it.  (Whether or not they were operatives trying to besmirch the protest - something which has absolutely happened in the past).

We could discuss whether the police should have moved in and started arresting protesters, but I think the burning building gave them a legitimate and convenient justification.  The fact that they detained a news crew for an hour is not what we should be outraged about here, in my opinion.

I didn't notice anything about the black-hispanic crew member being treated worse, yet.  I'm not saying it didn't happen, but I'm asking for some sort of citation.  Maybe it's because a single white CNN employee was passed over by police, while the 3-person team which included a black man was detained?
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2762 on: May 29, 2020, 08:44:19 am »

Is this where we cheer with fanfare and glee as we watch the military put down angry civilians whose legitimate concerns have reached a boiling point cause we did fuck all about it for decades??

Just wondering.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2763 on: May 29, 2020, 08:45:13 am »

i shall employ my psychic might to expose the racism within the minds of these proud officers

Look, Rolan. You're not going to get a citation about this, or about many of the things that are happening and are going to happen during these protests. You're going to have to use good judgement, particularly about what pigs are and what pigs want.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2764 on: May 29, 2020, 08:51:03 am »

Jesus christ I'm literally just asking where they heard the thing, so I can get some details.  I'm not actually trying to debunk anymore.

The thing I always hated about this thread was people sitting around demonizing cops and citing their own farts.  It distracted from the actual, all-to-common injustices which opened my eyes to the systemic problems in the justice system.  Your vile little hate-orgies are disgusting and counterproductive.  I get it, you think all cops are bastards, and will always assume the absolute worst based on some anonymous poster saying they heard a thing.  Have fun with that.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2765 on: May 29, 2020, 09:00:50 am »

I am trying to be patient here, but what's there even to say? You've clearly seen the video since you have CNN's own link. The cops literally stood around menacingly not responding to the crew's question of where to go until they declared them under arrest.

And this is why knowing all cops are bastards is important. No, I guess we will never know why it happened if we discount both ACAB and whatever bullshit excuse they make up after the fact, assuming that they even bother to do that with the situation on the ground.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2766 on: May 29, 2020, 09:05:49 am »

Don't poke Rolan too much, MSH. Everyone's tense, on edge. You're honestly not helping right now.

Article summing up last night's large protests: https://www.theroot.com/in-a-divided-nation-a-call-to-finally-protect-black-li-1843751642
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2767 on: May 29, 2020, 11:00:42 am »

Yoink, I made posts addressing the sort of stuff you're saying in the politics thread.

Including providing video footage proving the riots are not just random directionless violence.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2768 on: May 29, 2020, 11:23:40 am »

I'm sorry for tone policing (...ha).  Venting about injustice is valid, even if it includes hyperbole.  Not every complaint needs to be well-cited or a persuasive argument, that's a ridiculous expectation.
She/they

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #2769 on: May 29, 2020, 12:42:51 pm »

It took a couple days, but now the cop responsible has been arrested
Now we can wait x amount of months before he's acquitted because yeah 

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2770 on: May 29, 2020, 03:03:16 pm »

Yoink, I made posts addressing the sort of stuff you're saying in the politics thread.

Including providing video footage proving the riots are not just random directionless violence.
If it was premeditated destruction of property, isn't that a more severe crime than just opportunistic rioting? 

I guess I'm sympathetic to the reason why they committed the crime, but I'm not willing to say it isn't a crime.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2771 on: May 29, 2020, 03:26:56 pm »

If it was premeditated destruction of property, isn't that a more severe crime than just opportunistic rioting? 

I guess I'm sympathetic to the reason why they committed the crime, but I'm not willing to say it isn't a crime.
The more reasonable voices within the crowd overwhelmed the !!burn!! everything voice.
At least that is my assumption. 

If there were more ‘reasonable’ leaders, a good police tactic will be to detain all of them and let the protestors go wild.  Then you have legitimate reason to go in hard and denounce them as opportunistic looters and the likes.  Crowding out the main reason for the protest/riots.  With the media crowing about our brave cops putting down criminals like we are goldfish.  (Yes, ‘we’ the murrican public are goldfish.)
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2772 on: May 29, 2020, 03:33:05 pm »

I guess I live in a weird world though, where I make a distinction between protesters and rioters.  Protesters stand around and make noise, maybe have creative signs, etc.

Rioters destroy things.

This is orthogonal to being in full agreement that law enforcement should not use violence against protesters.

I don't blame people for responding to violence with more violence; I just wish they would use other approaches.  And yes I'm fully aware that the system is so corrupt that often violence is the only effective way because of things like internal affairs or whatever demonstrating severe bias.

It all makes me more sad than angry...

The big personal fear I have is that people become so disillusioned with the institutions that we revert fully back to mob rule.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2773 on: May 29, 2020, 04:23:59 pm »

Pretty sure Salmon is referring to the circling allegations that undercover cops were responsible for some of the destruction and inciting.

Edit: related Facebook post from a townie that my fiancee found.

https://m.facebook.com/1782829077/posts/10213779532640857/?from_close_friend=1&notif_id=1590787442784258&notif_t=close_friend_activity&ref=notif&sfnsn=mo

Spoiler: If you hate Facebook (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 04:26:12 pm by Doomblade187 »
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #2774 on: May 29, 2020, 04:31:28 pm »

So they're charging the knee cop with third degree murder and manslaughter charges
The three other cops standing around get nothing for now.
A citywide curfew is being thrown down starting tonight. Let's see what happens
Pages: 1 ... 183 184 [185] 186 187 ... 295