Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 295

Author Topic: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice  (Read 429614 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice
« Reply #2145 on: September 01, 2017, 11:51:07 pm »

Unrelated?... I don't see how it's unrelated to comment on how one case of bad police behavior compares to other cases of police behavior to highlight a disparity in treatment.  Unnecessary as a point grab, maybe.  But I don't know how you could call it unrelated.

Overstating?... I don't know how you can say this, either.  You... really haven't ever looked through the thousands of comments that pour out over a black person's appearance of history after they get shot by police, have you?  Or paid attention to how their character gets framed by the media?  I've literally seen people say that innocent black children deserved to be shot by police.  Like... more than a few times.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 11:55:55 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2146 on: September 01, 2017, 11:52:17 pm »

The actions of that accurately-villified person, towards a completely different ethnic group, justify making up conjecture about the plight of black people.

What can I say?  Without getting banned, I mean.
Making up conjecture isn't the same thing as extrapolating based on other real points of data.

And if you're going to be "oh so persecuted, unable to respond to an argument because of the forum rules", then I guess you'll just have to live with all us leftist jackboots slandering the good name of the boys in blue.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2147 on: September 01, 2017, 11:56:00 pm »

The actions of that accurately-villified person, towards a completely different ethnic group, justify making up conjecture about the plight of black people.

What can I say?  Without getting banned, I mean.

You just said yourself why it's justified.  Because that villification has occurred quickly, easily, and unanimously.  I'm seeing it all over the place within a couple hours of stumbling on the first link and there's no contest.  Black CHILDREN can be slain while proven to be doing nothing wrong, and it turns out more controversial than this every single time.  It may trigger some sensibilities as a point grab to comment on it, but if you aren't even allowed to make the comparison, how is it supposed to ever change?
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2148 on: September 02, 2017, 12:01:46 am »

I've literally seen people say that innocent black children deserved to be shot by police.  Like... more than a few times.
I have a good idea who you're talking about.  But why should I go into detail, when you haven't?
It's a losing battle for me to make assumptions about your position and try to defend myself.  It's better to stay quiet.

Unrelated?... I don't see how it's unrelated to comment on how one case of bad police behavior compares to other cases of police behavior to highlight a disparity in treatment.  Unnecessary as a point grab, maybe.  But I don't know how you could call it unrelated.
The issues faced by brown and black people are very different, even when both are legal.

Fakedit:  See?  You reply to my post twice, trying to overwhelm me.
Enjoy your echo-chamber, friend.  I'll go back to laying low, and maybe continue to have an account.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2149 on: September 02, 2017, 12:06:47 am »

I will just preempt this whole thing, and say that the ends DO NOT justify the means.

EG, police going to jail, does not make it OK to frame them, even if they are indeed guilty of some other crime.

That kind of thinking is what leads to planted evidence, because the police "know" you committed a crime, and don't want you to get off Scott-free from their "routine stop."

I presume this is what Rolan is getting at.  The officers can indeed be guilty as hell of any number of egregious crimes against society, but painting them incorrectly to punish them, for a crime they DID NOT commit, is never acceptable.

The punishment **MUST** fit the crime, and the crime accused must be a crime they indeed committed.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2150 on: September 02, 2017, 12:10:35 am »

I've literally seen people say that innocent black children deserved to be shot by police.  Like... more than a few times.
I have a good idea who you're talking about.  But why should I go into detail, when you haven't?
It's a losing battle for me to make assumptions about your position and try to defend myself.  It's better to stay quiet.

I'm not talking about anybody on this forum.  Talking about many encounters I've observed or participated in outside of here.  So details wouldn't mean anything to you, unless you want me to go get you screenshots of comments sections and facebook posts.

Fakedit:  See?  You reply to my post twice, trying to overwhelm me.
Enjoy your echo-chamber, friend.  I'll go back to laying low, and maybe continue to have an account.

Not trying to overwhelm you.  You made two posts since my last one.  I wrote a reply to your first one.  Saw your 2nd post and edited mine to include a comment on that.  But I didn't get it in until after MSH posted, and in a discussion moving at this pace, people don't usually read up and catch edits like that.  So I made a new post.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2151 on: September 02, 2017, 12:13:47 am »

Okay...  sorry then.  I'm just sore about recent bans.
And I didn't think the innocent black child was a forum member.  I had a person in mind, and it's a tragedy.
I will just preempt this whole thing, and say that the ends DO NOT justify the means.

EG, police going to jail, does not make it OK to frame them, even if they are indeed guilty of some other crime.

That kind of thinking is what leads to planted evidence, because the police "know" you committed a crime, and don't want you to get off Scott-free from their "routine stop."

I presume this is what Rolan is getting at.  The officers can indeed be guilty as hell of any number of egregious crimes against society, but painting them incorrectly to punish them, for a crime they DID NOT commit, is never acceptable.

The punishment **MUST** fit the crime, and the crime accused must be a crime they indeed committed.

Basically.  Yeah, as an ardent support of cops, these cops (the officer and his commanding officer) are guilty as all hell.

I just didn't appreciate the invention of a race issue out of nothing.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2152 on: September 02, 2017, 04:09:23 am »

The issues faced by brown and black people are very different, even when both are legal.

Yeah. By their own admission, "we only kill black people". They just deport brown people. Except when they kill them too.

I'm sorry, Rolan. It may seem like I'm trying to stir some shit and bait you, but I swear I'm not. I've just lost all faith in law enforcement (especially white law enforcement) to do the right goddamned thing, even when videotaped, even when in front of a crowd of witnesses.

EDIT: And honestly, my comment wasn't even really about the cops, it was about society in general. Officer Dickface was gonna be a dick regardless. But how that dickitude was processed and responded to is different for a lot of people based on the race and class of the person he's being a dick to. Which sucks, but that's how it goes.

Oh, and it's coming out now that the unconscious guy he wanted the blood test done on? He was a cop from Rigby, Idaho. So much for the fraternal brotherhood of police.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 04:37:19 am by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2153 on: September 02, 2017, 05:46:11 am »

That "we only shoot black people" thing isn't so bad - it's an immature and frankly retarded joke meant to calm down that woman who seemed to be fearing for her life. It wasn't hateful, it was a sarcastic quip the cop didn't think through snarking about the portrayal of the police in media - seemingly correctly.

On that other site the proportions for police killings per capita for latinos seem to be in order (17.6 percent of population, 16 percent of police killings). It seems that the greater disproportion is with police killing blacks (13.3 percent of population, 25 percent of killings). The incidents described below are few and far between - a suicidal dude suddenly aiming at cops trying to talk him down is going to get shot. The knife armed man who got in a fight with his girlfriend and acted aggresively in a store and supposedly lunging at the cops arriving got shot. That's also pretty reasonable. Pulverizing a man who hit a barricade with his van with automatic fire is less so.
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2154 on: September 02, 2017, 07:26:36 am »

I think you're a little oversensitive about Neonivek  getting banned Rolan. He didn't get banned for disagreeing with people. He got banned for a very long history of having an frustrating and obtuse style, that may or may not be trolling. Part that style btw was refusal to elaborate and claiming persecution as an excuse. But yeah, I mean, such paranoid of yours seems a bit unfounded when Toady one himself comes and says that he's never heard of any issue with you specifically, that you're literally not on his radar at all.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #2155 on: September 02, 2017, 07:57:53 am »

When people in these discussions are willing to make blanket statements like "anyone who doesn't think all pigs are corrupt is wilfully ignorant or hates black people. Anyone who disagrees with me should be punished" without anyone calling them out, I don't blame anyone who decides to stay silent for their choice. Politics on Bay12 stopped being anything resembling an open, friendly environment a long time ago.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2156 on: September 02, 2017, 08:04:10 am »

I agree, Arx. Even the thread title title is biased and most of the posters here have negative opinions on police. It's not much of a discussion thread.
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2157 on: September 02, 2017, 08:06:11 am »

I totally agree with you, at least the first part of what you said. Lucky for us we aren't there yet.

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2158 on: September 02, 2017, 09:14:35 am »

I agree, Arx. Even the thread title title is biased and most of the posters here have negative opinions on police. It's not much of a discussion thread.

It works ok as a containment thread, but yeah. There really isn't much discussion going on here.
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2159 on: September 02, 2017, 11:46:47 am »

I'll suggest a slight title change:

"The abusing police thread: Beyond Brown, no justice"
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 295