Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 295

Author Topic: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice  (Read 429532 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice
« Reply #435 on: December 06, 2014, 01:58:16 pm »

Then, just look at this misleading section.  (For one thing, the comparison in the sentence oddly conflates "fleeing arrest" with "fleeing or resisting".  Resisting arrest can include assaulting the officer.):

It can also include things like reflexively trying to move hands in front of face while receiving a beating, or being unable to comply with a command because of disability... 

Have you seriously not seen any footage of police beating a person, and then claiming that the beating went on as long as it did because they kept resisting?  Because if not, it's hard for me to believe that you've paid much attention to this issue at all...
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: December 06, 2014, 02:51:50 pm »

I gotta disagree. If Michael Brown had been white he'd be likely to be alive today.

I entirely disagree with that. I'm white. If I robbed a store, assaulted a cop in his car, and went for his gun, I would absolutely expect to be dead
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: December 06, 2014, 02:56:33 pm »

Same, but arguing about hypotheticals like that is unlikely to work out well.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: December 06, 2014, 03:25:27 pm »

... if brown had been white, he almost certainly wouldn't have been aggressively approached by a cop for jaywalking to begin with, triggering the rest of the mess. It's also worth noting that the only other right-there testimony (Johnson) has wilson assaulting brown, including dragging the guy part way into the car himself.

Turning it around, I somehow doubt if he'd been white, brown would have been almost ran over for jaywalking, attacked, and then later shot after a short struggle, after fleeing and then trying to surrender.

Of course, maybe if we'd have had a trial we'd actually end up figuring out what the hell actually happened (doubtful, considering what a shit-poor job the prosecution did during the grand jury proceedings, but it's possible), but it's looking like that's not on the table anymore ::)
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: December 06, 2014, 03:29:05 pm »

If I were walking in the middle of the street, I would entirely expect a cop to tell me to get out of the damn street and I'd do it, because walking in the middle of the street is an invitation to get run over.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: December 06, 2014, 03:36:08 pm »

« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 07:46:31 am by penguinofhonor »

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: December 06, 2014, 03:40:15 pm »

Yep. If only he hadn't been doing things which could get him killed.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2014/12/25-things-black-people-shouldnt-do-around-cops.html
Don't play in the park with toy guns and maybe they won't kill you. Don't ask for help after a car accident and maybe they won't kill you. Don't wear a hoodie and maybe they won't kill you. Don't cosplay with a toy sword and maybe they won't kill you. Don't shop at Walmart and maybe they won't kill you. Don't take the BART and maybe they won't kill you. Don't ride your bike and maybe they won't kill you. Don't reach for your cell phone and maybe they won't kill you. Don't go to your friend's birthday party and maybe they won't kill you. Don't sit on your front stoop and maybe they won't kill you. Don't "startle" them and maybe they won't kill you. Don't "look around suspiciously" and maybe they won't kill you. Don't walk on a bridge with your family and maybe they won't kill you. Don't play "cops and robbers" with your buddies and maybe they won't kill you. Don't work in a warehouse repairing instruments and maybe they won't kill you. Don't stand in your grandma's bathroom and maybe they won't kill you. Don't pray with your daughters in public and maybe they won't kill you. Don't go to your bachelor party and maybe they won't kill you. Don't have an ex boyfriend who might be a suspect and maybe they won't kill you. Don't call for medical help for your sister and maybe they won't kill her. Don't hang out in the park with your friends and maybe they won't kill you. Don't get a flat tire and maybe they won't kill you. Don't park in a fire lane and maybe they won't kill you. Don't reach for your wallet and maybe they won't kill you. Don't let your medical alert device go off and maybe they won't kill you

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: December 06, 2014, 03:40:47 pm »

Frumple was probably talking about the part right after that, where he pulled his car right up to them aggressively enough that his tires screeched or something. The noise drew the attention of a good number of the witnesses.
Is it impossible that he just didn't notice them in the road until he was so close that he had to slam on the brakes?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: December 06, 2014, 03:42:58 pm »

Considering the initial communication happened before the close approach? Yeah. Pretty impossible.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: December 06, 2014, 03:48:41 pm »

« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 07:37:57 am by penguinofhonor »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: December 06, 2014, 03:56:24 pm »

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2014/12/25-things-black-people-shouldnt-do-around-cops.html
Don't play in the park with toy guns and maybe they won't kill you. Don't ask for help after a car accident and maybe they won't kill you. Don't wear a hoodie and maybe they won't kill you. Don't cosplay with a toy sword and maybe they won't kill you. Don't shop at Walmart and maybe they won't kill you. Don't take the BART and maybe they won't kill you. Don't ride your bike and maybe they won't kill you. Don't reach for your cell phone and maybe they won't kill you. Don't go to your friend's birthday party and maybe they won't kill you. Don't sit on your front stoop and maybe they won't kill you. Don't "startle" them and maybe they won't kill you. Don't "look around suspiciously" and maybe they won't kill you. Don't walk on a bridge with your family and maybe they won't kill you. Don't play "cops and robbers" with your buddies and maybe they won't kill you. Don't work in a warehouse repairing instruments and maybe they won't kill you. Don't stand in your grandma's bathroom and maybe they won't kill you. Don't pray with your daughters in public and maybe they won't kill you. Don't go to your bachelor party and maybe they won't kill you. Don't have an ex boyfriend who might be a suspect and maybe they won't kill you. Don't call for medical help for your sister and maybe they won't kill her. Don't hang out in the park with your friends and maybe they won't kill you. Don't get a flat tire and maybe they won't kill you. Don't park in a fire lane and maybe they won't kill you. Don't reach for your wallet and maybe they won't kill you. Don't let your medical alert device go off and maybe they won't kill you

Not listed, what Brown got killed for - attacking a cop and trying to steal his gun.  If a cop pulled up to me and I did that, I would not be outraged if I got shot.

That's a nice list of things people shouldn't die for.  If they happened, maybe we should talk about clear-cut cases like them, instead of arguing over Brown?
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: December 06, 2014, 03:59:06 pm »

If I were walking in the middle of the street, I would entirely expect a cop to tell me to get out of the damn street and I'd do it, because walking in the middle of the street is an invitation to get run over.

Highly dependent on the area... I've been to St Louis.  There are large areas around the city where cars do not dominate the streets.  There's not much traffic, and lots of people walking.  I saw people walking in the street very commonly, and never saw anyone acting as an obstacle to traffic.  Hell, I was one of them here and there.  Most businesses do not have parking lots and most residences don't have driveways.  Everything is very crowded together.  You find some open spot on the side of the road somewhere to park and expect to walk a few blocks.  And most of the sidewalks are very broken down.  This is how it was most everywhere outside of downtown and a block from any major road.

Not listed, what Brown got killed for - attacking a cop and trying to steal his gun.  If a cop pulled up to me and I did that, I would not be outraged if I got shot.

I think it's wrong of you to state this as if it's established fact.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: December 06, 2014, 04:01:39 pm »

That's a nice list of things people shouldn't die for.  If they happened, maybe we should talk about clear-cut cases like them, instead of arguing over Brown?
All of those happened. Follow the link; the article has links for every single one.

And I'm still not convinced Brown attacked Wilson. If a yelling cop screetched to a halt next to me and grabbed at my shirt-front, I'd probably panic and flail to get away too.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: December 06, 2014, 04:06:08 pm »

Except that the gun went off twice during that struggle.  One of them went for the gun.  Why would Wilson have pulled directly up to Brown, started a grapple, pulled his gun, and missed twice?
She/they

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: December 06, 2014, 04:16:46 pm »

Are you seriously asking how Wilson could have failed to shoot Brown while they were grappling?  And Brown's blood was found inside the car and on the gun.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 295