Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 23

Author Topic: Crawl 0.15 Tournament - It begins! (TOURNAMENT ENDED)  (Read 26803 times)

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crawl 0.15 Tournament - It begins! (Registrations still open)
« Reply #210 on: September 03, 2014, 12:08:16 am »

Oh god. I thought people were exaggerating about Qazlal's noise problem. I took another MiFi down into Lair:8 -  the vault that's basically a wide open oval with a small island with goodies in the middle - with 4 stars in piety. Step down, see a single vampire mosquito, chuck a few rocks at it so it gets closer, move a few steps up to attack... and the entire floor converges on me.
insert something mind-blowing/witty here*

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: September 03, 2014, 01:25:27 am »

What to make things worse : Noise is less important in Lair.
There is a "background noise level" in every dungeon floor. It's higher in Lair and Orc (so it covers your noise more, making you more stealthy), and lower in Crypt and maybe another branch or two.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: September 03, 2014, 02:05:13 am »

I feel like that's something so out of the way that you'd never think it exists if you weren't told it does, I dont know why it's in the game.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: September 03, 2014, 02:35:56 am »

Crawl name is Mindmaker. It's not a problem that I play on lantea, right?
Considering how the scoring works, it's best to start of with some easy combos and work your way down from there, I guess.

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: September 03, 2014, 02:42:41 am »

You can play on Lantea :
Quote from: tournament page
Play on one of the six public servers (crawl.akrasiac.org, crawl.beRotato.org, crawl.develz.org, kr.dobrazupa.org, crawl.lantea.net, or crawl.s-z.org)
The team can be spread across the servers and it doesn't matter ;

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: September 03, 2014, 03:01:27 am »

Well that's good.
Guess all I have to wait for is being added now.

Any way to check out if the registration worked after it's done?

Tegga21

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: September 03, 2014, 03:12:29 am »

Gargoyle Monk win! 5 in a row!  Easiest one yet, got tons of ench armour and weapon scrolls and early haste wand + oodles of shops

http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/Tegga21/morgue-Tegga21-20140903-081200.txt
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 03:19:54 am by Tegga21 »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: September 03, 2014, 08:04:34 am »

I feel like that's something so out of the way that you'd never think it exists if you weren't told it does, I dont know why it's in the game.
A lot of the noise mechanic is sortof like that, which is a shame because it actually leads to quite interesting gameplay once you understand it.

BaronMunchausen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: September 03, 2014, 08:50:00 am »

Crawl name is Mindmaker. It's not a problem that I play on lantea, right?
Considering how the scoring works, it's best to start of with some easy combos and work your way down from there, I guess.
You are now a noble.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: September 03, 2014, 09:23:52 am »

Well, that sucked. Sonja abyss'd me at lvl 15, then I got banished in Abyss:1 down to Abyss:2, then I got banished again into Abyss:3, then I died two steps away from the rune.

The Abyss sucks.
It does. At least you got Abyss'd by something that can always abyss you, not a random distortion weapon.

Honestly, distortion weapons don't fit in with Crawl's philosophy at all. In the early-game, they're basically a random "HAHAHA YOU LOSE" event, which, if I remember correctly, is something Crawl is supposed to avoid. They're not so bad once you can actually survive the abyss, though.
Some high-level players actually "farm" the Abyss :P

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

BaronMunchausen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: September 03, 2014, 09:54:27 am »

Well, that sucked. Sonja abyss'd me at lvl 15, then I got banished in Abyss:1 down to Abyss:2, then I got banished again into Abyss:3, then I died two steps away from the rune.

The Abyss sucks.
It does. At least you got Abyss'd by something that can always abyss you, not a random distortion weapon.

Honestly, distortion weapons don't fit in with Crawl's philosophy at all. In the early-game, they're basically a random "HAHAHA YOU LOSE" event, which, if I remember correctly, is something Crawl is supposed to avoid. They're not so bad once you can actually survive the abyss, though.
Some high-level players actually "farm" the Abyss :P
Am I the only one who doesn't hate the abyss? True, for low level characters it's usually a death sentence, but with a few resists and maybe some stealth you can at least run away from most threats (except starcursed masses, as I discovered through YASD). Worst case, iirc you can reset the map by teleporting. If you find a way out, you can stand on top of it while you rest/buff, and then go through and finish off whoever abyss'd you in the first place. This has saved me many times in places like Elf: 3. I am by no means a "high-level" player, but I wouldn't hesitate to send a properly prepared character to the abyss for items/gold/xp/piety if I had to.

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: September 03, 2014, 09:56:25 am »

I love the Abyss.

But I wouldn't stand on the exit while healing, except if I'm there because of a deep elf or something like that : too many chances of random TP :D

BaronMunchausen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: September 03, 2014, 10:38:10 am »

Aaaand my level 16 TrBe dies on Abyss 2. Don't listen to me folks.

Moron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: September 03, 2014, 11:50:21 am »

So, 3 runes… (did Slime for the 3rd as I think it's probably easier than Vault 5 for many characters these days.)

So, do I risk death going for the fourth rune in Vaults, or do I risk death in Zot? Tengu are fun to play, but very fragile, and the equipment I've found is probably the worst of any high level character I've played - no rElec and I don't even have rF+ other than from a ring.

Actually, I haven't done Elf 3 yet, but I was thinking of skipping it as the risk often outweighs the reward in my experience.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: September 03, 2014, 12:10:09 pm »

I think any good player would probably realize that there's a significant risk and very little benefit to farming the abyss.

The abyss in its current state is pretty awful due to starcursed masses and I'd kindof rather just die instantly so I don't have to deal with it.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 23