Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 254 255 [256] 257 258 ... 288

Author Topic: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!  (Read 799404 times)

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!
« Reply #3825 on: August 26, 2020, 08:59:23 pm »

Imagine the ramifications of a geneseed black market. Potentially, someone could be making secret rogue space marines! Which would be interesting fodder for a 40k novel, actually.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3826 on: August 26, 2020, 09:18:45 pm »

It doesnt have to be chaotic sm. Maybe just powerful mercs, depending on how much the people making  them has access to SM quality level gear and what not. Most likely they would need a cogboy or a few, and most likely it  would be a dark mechanicus guy that would be willing, hence we end up with chaos again.

Maybe is not just geneseed but the info on how to do them, at least partially you could arm them with subpar gear and still be a force to recknon with. However also condider regular humans with all that power and no hypno induced self control like sm have, which actually does not prevent them from going rouge in all of them... hence easy prey for dark influences, chaos again.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

dehimos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3827 on: August 27, 2020, 03:21:08 am »

Imagine the ramifications of a geneseed black market. Potentially, someone could be making secret rogue space marines! Which would be interesting fodder for a 40k novel, actually.

Renegade space marines! https://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Renegade_Space_Marine

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3828 on: August 27, 2020, 02:52:02 pm »

Yeah but that's different. Those are chapters that go rogue in their entirety, they already have geneseed of their own.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3829 on: August 27, 2020, 04:21:01 pm »

Yeah but they're not picky. In Storm of Iron, the Iron Warriors, who aren't renegades, raid an Imperium fortress for their stock of Space Marine geneseed.

Being a chapter, Imperial, Renegade or Chaos, doesn't automatically guarantee they have the infrastructure or discipline to maintain their geneseed stock. So externally sourcing it sounds pretty viable.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3830 on: August 27, 2020, 04:33:06 pm »

Yeah but that's different. Those are chapters that go rogue in their entirety, they already have geneseed of their own.
And think about the equipment. Where a planetary governor would have the ways to make full SM with wargear and all? They would not be able to procure armor, weapons and ships. I mean they could with the right friends and all but it hardly would be a secret for long.

At best they end up having an alternative to Ogres on their PDF until someone find out and purge the whole planet for heresy. Or if equiped with some fancy stuff they make supreme and resiliant shock and close quarters troops.

At worst they could trade the geneseed directly to renegade/chaos chapters. Although chaos chapters would most likely take it by force unless trading is part of a evil scheme anyway which equaly would end up horribly for the governor and his/her planet.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 04:39:58 pm by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3831 on: August 27, 2020, 04:45:24 pm »

I assume that all geneseed that leaves a Space Marine Chapter's hands ends up in one of two places:

1. In the hands of the Mechanicus so they have more raw material to attempt to reverse engineer the Emperor's gene science.

Or

2. Ultimately, in the hands of Renegades, Traitors and Xenos with an interest in genetics. (Dark Eldar.) Just about everyone else lacks the technical sophistication or technology to do anything with it, except maybe display it in their office as a demonstration of their power.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3832 on: August 27, 2020, 06:13:58 pm »

They Inquisition also gets some. I guess they either destroy all samples after checking them or keep them all as a huge gibs archive, or maybe just keep the good or bad ones as evidence.... Or maybe destroy the bad ones and the pure ones they hand it to the mech guys, but I hardly see the Inquisition willingly handing out anything to anyone ever.

I really have no idea.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3833 on: August 27, 2020, 06:29:02 pm »

Guesses:

-They check them for purity and any trace of chaotic taint. Even though I don't recall any post-heresy defections to Chaos being the doom of the Imperium, as such events are usually described that way, I'm sure the Inquisition sees it that way and sees all Astartes as attack dogs you have to keep a very close eye on. (Be funny if Chapter Master actually had a check in that geneseed demand from the Inquisition, where the geneseed you tithe IS actually corrupted, and that's what sets the Inquisition against you and they declare war without really telling you why. It's the kind of thing CM would do.)

-The Inquisition has its own Weird Science projects just like half the rest of the Imperium. In the event of the total collapse of the Astartes as a fighting force, the Inquisition could be ready to step in with its own legions of imperfect but Primarch-fueled soldiers to enforce order and respond to threats. Or maybe they study the geneseed in an effort to create something that, if needed, could wipe out an entire chapter of Space Marines based on their DNA. Pure heresy, of course, learning to destroy the Emperor's creations, but needs must.

-Any and every organization of size and influence tends to hold on to, or acquire, assets even though they don't necessarily know what to do with them. (My boss just bought the building across the parking lot from us, with vague ideas of what he'd do with it. Lots of options.) So the Inquisition stockpiling the lifeblood of the Astartes just because it's valuable and shows deference to their authority could be reason enough. (Although 40k fiction has shown that basically there is no safe place to store geneseed short of pissing off an entire Chapter of Space Marines, and geneseed lying around might as well rename the planet to "Comeatmebro.")
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 06:41:04 pm by nenjin »

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3834 on: August 27, 2020, 07:28:07 pm »

Ok, so your Inquisitor boss wants to use the building across the parking lot to store Geneseed?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3835 on: August 28, 2020, 10:19:11 am »

No, the insurance premiums for storing geneseed on your property are redonk. Insurance companies want at a minimum 3 companies of Space Marines to offset the risk and that's beyond our means.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3836 on: August 28, 2020, 12:50:14 pm »

They're insurance companies, though. Stick a bunch of gretchin in there wearing cardboard boxes with "Spezh Maroon" scrawled across them and with a small bribe gift they'll never notice the difference.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #3837 on: September 04, 2020, 07:06:28 pm »

So, if you'd asked me anytime before a month ago whether I'd ever make a post like this, I'd've bet against myself. But, here we are.
https://github.com/ndilday/CMTest

That is the repo for my code that, in its current state, I'd call a pre-alpha tech demo of something that may ultimately be a reimagining of Chapter Master Interstellar Army Simulator. Also, a bundled release of said tech demo for those of you that don't want to download unity. :-)
Currently, you can move your empty fleet around, but it has no ships and won't take your marines with it. You also can fight a small battle against a few dozen Tyranid. You're a just-founded chapter, so you have lots of scouts not quite ready for the Black Carapace, not enough Tactical marines, and no vehicles. (This is also set in the mid 40th, so don't start talking to me about Primaris yet.)
Trello board of near-ish term plans: https://trello.com/b/9fv5Endv/cmtest

I am not committing to seeing this through to the end, but I will say that this is the most discernible progress I've made on a side project in the last 20 years. (Amazing what a global pandemic can lead you to do with your free time.)
Screenshots:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I'm not committing to this staying a non-commercial project forever, but I'd be surprised if I ever decided to go commercial with it, even after filing off all the GW Trademarks. (There are at least a couple of words that are trademarked within both the code and the resulting game today, I know.)
I will channel Tarn and say: graphics will probably be one of the last things I invest a lot of time into... and if/when I get to that point, I'll probably hire someone out-of-pocket for the work. (The couple of images I stuck in to avoid weird giant gaps in the UI were free for commercial use from pixabay.com)
I'd open to feedback... at this stage, I imagine there's more to say about the code structure than the game itself.
If you're interesting in learning to write software, managing and helping develop software developers is my day job, and I'd be happy to use this project as a template to help you learn.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2020, 07:27:14 pm by ndkid »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3838 on: September 04, 2020, 08:12:48 pm »

Looks pretty awesome, although the images of the Space Marines makes this look more like a Skynet 40K simulator, lol.  :P

I think Unity is a pretty solid choice for the development platform (did I use that term right?)

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #3839 on: September 04, 2020, 08:28:43 pm »

Looks pretty awesome, although the images of the Space Marines makes this look more like a Skynet 40K simulator, lol.  :P

I think Unity is a pretty solid choice for the development platform (did I use that term right?)
Haha, yeah, I did a search for "army" and "platoon" and "space marine" and several other terms, and that was the best of the bunch where I looked. At least they had swords, that's a little 40k-ish. :-D

And, indeed, "development platform", "game engine"... they're all just marketing terms anyhow.
Pages: 1 ... 254 255 [256] 257 258 ... 288