Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 244 245 [246] 247 248 ... 288

Author Topic: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!  (Read 799021 times)

TheEmperor

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Faith in the Emperor is faith in yourself
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!
« Reply #3675 on: January 20, 2019, 04:33:53 pm »

Quote from: TheEmperor on Today at 02:12:37 pm
If the project is to fail for whatever reason, the source code I have written is commented and pretty well laid out, and I will release all assets that can be released without copyright issues so people can just insert stuff that was paid for unity things.

If the project fails, it'll be because you abandon it, at which point it's very unlikely you release your source code,especially if you have to actively remove things to get it in a releasable state. You might think otherwise, but so did all your predecessors.

Quote from: TheEmperor on Today at 02:12:37 pm
C'mon guys, the skepticism is more likely what killed any earlier projects because people who were able to code weren't commited to the game and were doing it for a challenge, or cus it seemed cool, and then when people were just like "meh" they didn't want to carry on. I want to see this project finished finally, id you guys don't want to help no problem, but don't talk down on the entire project because you don't have any belief. Believe in the Emperor, for he protects.

If you don't want skepticism, come out with more than a map and an army painter before you shout "BEHOLD!" We've seen this cycle before: the map demo, the enthusiasm, the admitted lack of skill, and then the complaining, followed by failure. You're not going to be treated differently because you picked a clever username or because you decided that these forums (which, I hasten to remind you, are not yours) are "the forums" for this game.

Looks like someone's got quite the grump on tonight! Look fella, all of this is for fun, if you're gunna suck the fun out of it, just leave now, there's no need to shit on the parade xD

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3676 on: January 20, 2019, 04:54:58 pm »

I really don't see that post as hostile, but whatevs.

What I do see, though, are GW assets/lore. How is this not going to end up the same way DukeFluffy's work did?

TheEmperor

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Faith in the Emperor is faith in yourself
    • View Profile
« Reply #3677 on: January 20, 2019, 04:59:58 pm »

What I do see, though, are GW assets/lore. How is this not going to end up the same way DukeFluffy's work did?

Complete lack of anything produced by games workshop assets wise, and 0 money changing hands. If they want to take issue with it, fine, I actually contacted them about making an official version and they never got back to me, so they may reconsider that offer if there is a working game out there that is attracting players.

For those who seem to disbelieve that this is happening, i say again , this is 1 WEEK of work. I started last Tuesday and I already have all of this together. It's going to happen unless games workshop take issue with it again, which is unlikely to happen quickly.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3678 on: January 20, 2019, 05:58:48 pm »

Complete lack of anything produced by games workshop assets wise, and 0 money changing hands. If they want to take issue with it, fine, I actually contacted them about making an official version and they never got back to me, so they may reconsider that offer if there is a working game out there that is attracting players.

For those who seem to disbelieve that this is happening, i say again , this is 1 WEEK of work. I started last Tuesday and I already have all of this together. It's going to happen unless games workshop take issue with it again, which is unlikely to happen quickly.

Urgh ok let's briefly retread this one again.

You won't get into any trouble if you don't use GW assets and lore directly - they can't trademark big burly men shooting their way through space, or space orcs, or space elves - you can't trademark an idea. Halo/Gears of War are all Space marines and they're fine.

What they can do is send you a cease and desist (at most to start with, no immediate suing) if you use a direct likeness to their assets - it doesn't matter if they didn't create them or whatever, if they look exactly like their version of a space marine/eldar/etc. or use the same names and 'lore' then they own it. No wiggle room.

The issue is your space marines do look *exactly* like theirs - that's going to be a problem if this goes remotely well, and it'll be doubled if you use all the same race names etc. What I've been trying to tell every new creator is that they need to do something more generic. Either creating a base game which is very opening to modding is one way (even just having all the names in text files would be fine), or create your own lore and fiction which has the same theme but doesn't use the same names/assets. If you do this, you will be FINE.

Alternatively let it slide and take your chances, but don't think that 0 money changing hands makes a difference (you using their trademarks potentially takes sales away from legit GW games which their lawyers will be able to argue into the £10000s) and GW have shown they don't care about stuff being just a hobby etc. At some point if it does well, they will come after you.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3679 on: January 20, 2019, 06:08:20 pm »

^ Exactly.
It looks to me like you're setting yourself up for a rehash of Duke's experience. Once you put some months of work in, sink more money into unity assets, and the game starts taking shape, you'll receive a cease and desist letter and that'll be that.

Maybe plan around that now, while you're still in the early stages?

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3680 on: January 20, 2019, 06:14:03 pm »

If they want to take issue with it, fine, I actually contacted them about making an official version and they never got back to me, so they may reconsider that offer if there is a working game out there that is attracting players.

It's probably worth nothing that GW doesn't hand out the kind of sweeping license you'd need anymore. Also, retroactive licensing of infringing content because it's popular (and, like people have said above, this probably is infringing) isn't a thing for a number of reasons.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3681 on: January 20, 2019, 06:56:41 pm »

I don't want this all to be a downer though - if you pull it off you'll be showered in adoration and the naysayers who heretically doubted your majesty will have to grovel before you! It's impressive in a weeks work, and you seem to have enough know how to actually be able to pull it off.

Just strongly reconsider using w40k assets/lore/trademarks - it's fine thinking you will just 'cross that bridge when you come to it' but that bridge will probably come up just when you start to make headway. Re-do it as 'Space Legion Commander' or something, change the models to be more generic 'space warrior' and add it some modding support. You can even release your own w40k mod!
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3682 on: January 20, 2019, 10:29:14 pm »

Oh my Emperor is that really you? Have you come down from the Golden Throne just to pull this one for your endless waves of admirers?!

Seriously, this seems the more promising attempt at this and I wish you the best. Also, I agree with Retropunch (first time I see you BTW, nice to meet you) and you should probably employ names like Capitular Maestro, Division Commander or Vacuum Seaman Simulator and so on... Just make sure the game read those from a plain text file.

Something similar could apply for art images....  Just put some generic images that can be easily replaced.

And even models, use some generic ones and wait for some other user to make a 40k mod that uses the models that in no way got by email from you...

You know were I'm going with this, you Deity Imperator of Mankind, ruler from the Auric Chair of the Empire of Mankind.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 10:38:41 pm by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3683 on: January 20, 2019, 10:32:07 pm »

I don't think "cross that bridge when we come to it is untenable, if you don't mind just going dark upon receiving a C&D and distributing "leaked" copies anonymously. That's illegal, but it can be viable anyway if you're not too bothered about reaching a large audience, and depending on where you live you could probably get away with being pretty brazen. If it's an option, personally I'd rather have a Chapter Master that is Chapter Master in the sense of matching the original concept, even if getting the download turns into dodgy business.

Looks like someone's got quite the grump on tonight! Look fella, all of this is for fun, if you're gunna suck the fun out of it, just leave now, there's no need to shit on the parade xD
This makes it clearer than anything that this particular attempt will go nowhere, though. If a straightforward and civil post like that makes you lose your composure this badly, I can only imagine you'll fly off in a huff the moment anything goes materially wrong. Especially since by suggesting that dropping the project would have, in the past, been naturally caused by skepticism, you've already obliquely threatened to drop the project based on current skepticism. By all means, if you're gonna do it, do it. And if there's some actual material form of support you want, say so – somebody may be able to contribute. But enthusiasm isn't going to pour from nowhere based on a week's worth of work.

The closed source, singular man produced nature of these projects is exactly what is repeatedly killing them. An actual development team can't be fostered as a result, and nobody can step up to edit the project once the original individual(s) have to leave for various reasons. I'm really not getting my hopes up until I see a project that has more planning for the future.
I don't really agree with this – the attempt before Duke's was pretty open, and also got nowhere. I think what's killing it is the fact that it's not a very monetizable concept, and most of the people with the abilities to make it have skills sufficiently in demand that they can find other work they also enjoy but get paid for. That's what happened to Duke, for one, and he got further than anybody.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3684 on: January 21, 2019, 10:56:34 am »

Cautious optimism, for now. It wouldn't be the first False Emperor we've seen.

Also everyone enhance their calm, FFS.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 11:08:34 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3685 on: January 21, 2019, 06:35:08 pm »

It's called amplifying our relaxed states.

Anyway, good job code monkey. If you succeed you'll be a legend and if you fail everyone will be slightly annoyed.

Personally I think the best hope for a truly full-featured Chapter Master game would be to assemble an actual dev team and make a nice proof-of-concept in order to get officially licensed, but we don't exactly lose anything from random nerds on the internet trying their hand.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3686 on: January 21, 2019, 07:32:45 pm »

If he fails he will probably be shunned like his predecessors before him.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #3687 on: January 21, 2019, 08:13:26 pm »

So, this game requires Interstellar Army Simulator 2015, right? As in, it's a mod, right?

Well, I'm interested in getting the vanilla game of Interstellar Army Simulator (From the same people making Towergirls, if their post is to be believed), but I can't seem to find it. The downloads I have found are displayed in relation to Chapter Master, and they don't seem to run correctly unless I install that mod.

Does a vanilla version of Interstellar Army Simulator exist, and if so, where can I find it?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3688 on: January 21, 2019, 08:41:20 pm »

You can ask Duke to for the links, I suppose. No idea if the ones buried in the deepest lore of this thread are still valid. I never got the whole thing to work, but others did. (Albeit with a lot of bugs and/or crashes and/or unfinished content.)
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3689 on: January 23, 2019, 01:45:05 pm »

I'm pretty sure I have a working version somewhere.  It seemed relatively complete to me.  Maybe a little bare-bones, and how would I know if the weapons are working perfectly, but it was a playable game.
Pages: 1 ... 244 245 [246] 247 248 ... 288