Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 246 247 [248] 249 250 ... 288

Author Topic: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!  (Read 798989 times)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!
« Reply #3705 on: January 28, 2019, 05:18:00 am »

by 2100ish we'll finally able to use the initial ip (as in, limited to rogue trader), fair and balanced  :P

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3706 on: January 28, 2019, 11:35:41 pm »

And with GWS's licensing wing these days, they'd greenlight a game written in BASIC as long as it printed a reasonable enough rendition of the Imperial Aquila to the screen :P

This is a common misconception, or at least a common conflation of two things. GW actually does do extensive, draconian, Inquisitorial quality control -- but for their IP, not the game itself. Yeah, you could write a program that takes three CPU-months to print an Aquila to the screen, but "reasonable enough" means "complies in every detail." Remember, the fraction of their shot-in-the-dark games that sell are meant to be adverts for the minis first and foremost. You may only have a license for three nameless grots, and they may only be able to do one thing, but by the Emperor they will be the correct shade of green.

Imagine if you will the bitterest, most troglodytic, most pedantic 40k fan you've ever known. Imagine millions of them, each of them desperately trying to demonstrate that they know more about the tiniest detail of canon than the next and are the only True Fan by finding the most trifling deviation in your work and braying about it eternally as proof that GW has stopped caring and you're a hack and GW's a hack for hiring you and 40k is a joke now and...honestly just a Youtube comments section made manifest.

Now imagine the department officially sanctioned to keep that from happening every time some newbie dev vomits out shovelware with an aquila slapped on it.

They are GW's defense against the Terror. They are the Defenders of Brand Identity. They are GW's IP QC, and they shall know no fear.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 11:41:41 pm by Trekkin »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3707 on: January 29, 2019, 12:24:59 am »

Aren't those nerds fairly easily defeated by whacking them with a stick labeled "everything is canon, not everything is true"?

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3708 on: January 29, 2019, 12:41:55 am »

Aren't those nerds fairly easily defeated by whacking them with a stick labeled "everything is canon, not everything is true"?

In the short run, yes, but it's like defending copyright: there's no way to raise the bar once it's been lowered. "If X can be canon, why not female Space Marines?", et cetera.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3709 on: January 29, 2019, 12:51:51 am »

why not female space marines

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #3710 on: January 29, 2019, 01:47:09 am »

they'd need to retcon some lost primarch to be female, which is possible, but would feel forced; you'd need a great fluff and crunch to get one in lore and not have buyers just go meh.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3711 on: January 29, 2019, 04:16:44 am »

Because then the Adepta Sororitas models won't sell.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3712 on: January 29, 2019, 04:56:07 am »

I think there's enough difference between "space nun humans in power armor" and "transhuman beefy battlemonks in power armor" that both would sell. :P

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3713 on: January 29, 2019, 08:39:21 am »

I'm going to give this latest appearance a bit of time - one week really isn't that long, especially if they're wanting to release something more substantial to assuage our doubts. Whilst I don't think we really reacted out of form, I imagine they didn't get the reaction they were expecting either - no one enjoys posting into lots of negativity.
The thing is though that he took down the website, what reason would he have for doing that other than because he quit?

I hadn't realised. That's...not a great sign. Still, 

Well, you know what they say.

Sometimes it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. (At least in the real world, that shit is HERESY in 40k.) And with GWS's licensing wing these days, they'd greenlight a game written in BASIC as long as it printed a reasonable enough rendition of the Imperial Aquila to the screen :P
I'd say copyright is one of the very, very few times when the opposite is true. Companies almost never grant retroactive copyright, as the whole thing with copyright law is that you have to be seen to be defending your rights - if the company started allowing retroactive copyright for games/things that were 'good', then everyone would be able to claim 'well I was violating the copyright, but I believed my thing was good enough that they'd license it'.

Copyright is all about setting precedent. It's why you see all those ridiculous claims from game companies - they don't believe it either, but they have to show they're defending their copyright, otherwise the next time round the judge might say 'you obviously aren't bothered, so we're not going to rule' - it sounds bonkers, and it is. Once you've been given that Cease and Desist or a ruling has been made against you, you have to stop EVERYTHING to do with the product - no sly releases or putting out source code etc. If there is even a hint that you've been involved after that then it gets really messy. You can't un-ring the bell on it, so it's better for it never to happen.

Something to make very clear:
They can't sue you immediately unless you've made serious profits/you were trying to sell counterfeit goods etc. whilst the line varies, none of that would be an issue here. You'll get that C&D warning first, and they have to say exactly what you've violated. They can't just say 'idk space marines or something' - they'll have to say what and where you've violated their copyright. If you change it, you can go back to them and say 'here it is, does it violate anything now?' and they can't just say 'no but we don't like it so stop'. Many people just stop because it's not worth the hassle for them to change things, which is why I've kept on banging on about making it something that can be modded easily and uses different lore/assets/etc.

please stop

You have no idea what you're talking about and almost everything you're saying is demonstrably wrong

signed, a lawyer

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3714 on: January 29, 2019, 10:55:23 am »

GW has been moving pretty strongly away from that in recent years. It's really just a way to patch old plot holes these days, and to tell people to bugger off of they get too bothered about a couple lines of minutiae. But their writers haven't been shy about making broad and universal statements, regardless of how they conflict with the lore of people's previously compliant armies.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #3715 on: January 29, 2019, 11:03:25 am »

please stop

You have no idea what you're talking about and almost everything you're saying is demonstrably wrong

signed, a lawyer
Demonstrate. I'm curious.

And with GWS's licensing wing these days, they'd greenlight a game written in BASIC as long as it printed a reasonable enough rendition of the Imperial Aquila to the screen :P

This is a common misconception, or at least a common conflation of two things. GW actually does do extensive, draconian, Inquisitorial quality control -- but for their IP, not the game itself. Yeah, you could write a program that takes three CPU-months to print an Aquila to the screen, but "reasonable enough" means "complies in every detail." Remember, the fraction of their shot-in-the-dark games that sell are meant to be adverts for the minis first and foremost. You may only have a license for three nameless grots, and they may only be able to do one thing, but by the Emperor they will be the correct shade of green.

Imagine if you will the bitterest, most troglodytic, most pedantic 40k fan you've ever known. Imagine millions of them, each of them desperately trying to demonstrate that they know more about the tiniest detail of canon than the next and are the only True Fan by finding the most trifling deviation in your work and braying about it eternally as proof that GW has stopped caring and you're a hack and GW's a hack for hiring you and 40k is a joke now and...honestly just a Youtube comments section made manifest.

Now imagine the department officially sanctioned to keep that from happening every time some newbie dev vomits out shovelware with an aquila slapped on it.

They are GW's defense against the Terror. They are the Defenders of Brand Identity. They are GW's IP QC, and they shall know no fear.
I don't think it's as bad. I mean, Inquisitor: Martyr shows a fucking Valkyrie flying around in space, and I could nitpick quite a few problems which their "accuracy control" missed.

GW has been moving pretty strongly away from that in recent years. It's really just a way to patch old plot holes these days, and to tell people to bugger off of they get too bothered about a couple lines of minutiae. But their writers haven't been shy about making broad and universal statements, regardless of how they conflict with the lore of people's previously compliant armies.
I mean, I don't know, considering that if you think about games, recent BFG:A2 has Abaddon getting killed by Spire, and so on. I am pretty sure the "yeah whatever" is pretty much still in effect.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3716 on: January 29, 2019, 11:11:19 am »

On female SM. They cant be done, or at least in lore estated. Even if they could, they would not look different at all from male SM. Even without power armor. I would think they would shave her heads too (or the hormones would leave them bald anyway) and the breasts would be faded into the muscle pects.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3717 on: January 29, 2019, 11:26:00 am »

Muh spesh marrianetes also need to be sexy.  Hence adepta sororitas.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3718 on: January 29, 2019, 11:56:29 am »

On female SM. They cant be done, or at least in lore estated. Even if they could, they would not look different at all from male SM. Even without power armor. I would think they would shave her heads too (or the hormones would leave them bald anyway) and the breasts would be faded into the muscle pects.
This is my understanding.  I like to think that some chapters have done it in secret, particularly the ones desperate for recruits, but nobody can really tell afterwards.
I feel like it's something Chaos would do a lot, if only to middle-finger the emperor's all-boys-club.

But then the Blood Magpies Ravens are inexplicably 95% cute grills under their armor.  Their voxes use pre-recorded male voices, that's why they seem to speak in memes.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3719 on: January 29, 2019, 12:11:13 pm »

This is my understanding.  I like to think that some chapters have done it in secret, particularly the ones desperate for recruits, but nobody can really tell afterwards.
I feel like it's something Chaos would do a lot, if only to middle-finger the emperor's all-boys-club.

But then the Blood Magpies Ravens are inexplicably 95% cute grills under their armor.  Their voxes use pre-recorded male voices, that's why they seem to speak in memes.

It kills females because the Emperor specifically made it for Men. Malcador actually joked about the idea with the Emperor about having daughters instead of sons. The Emperor was not pleased with the idea.

As for the Chaos.. Well.. Fabius Bile has actually been trying to properly make such a thing. He's created new humans he's called "The New Men". Which despite the name are straight up new humans he's created that are more powerful, stronger in mind and body humans. With the Gland-Hounds (New Men with partial geneseed implementation) hunting down Space Marines in packs to gather new geneseed.

And followers of Slaanesh might get half and half anyways depending on Slaanesh's blessings.
Pages: 1 ... 246 247 [248] 249 250 ... 288