Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 227 228 [229] 230 231 ... 288

Author Topic: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!  (Read 798484 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!
« Reply #3420 on: September 18, 2016, 08:21:13 am »

Fluff?
I didn't know the game even had a storyline.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3421 on: September 18, 2016, 08:55:38 am »

I dont get the whole : I SHALL SLAUGHTER SHITTY FLUFF thing
It is setting built around genetically engineered monk warriors flying around in ancient gothic cathedrals bristling with guns, only some other type of monks in red robes understands, how even to make said cathedrals move and guns work with proper chanting and application of blessed oil, and advanced munitions creating small stars or desintegration beamers  and everything else is operated by lobotomised criminals and slaves.
And said genetically engineered vacuum seamen are the only way of protecting collapsing empire from disorder vacuum seamen, some asshole space elfs, murderous fungus, bdsm space asshole elves, and communist anime state of puny blue men, who live in orwellian 1984, but only one of them understands that, and he is flying around in giant mech battling everything with his giant flaming sword.

Flow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3422 on: September 18, 2016, 09:10:11 am »

This thread gets weirder every time I read it...

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3423 on: September 18, 2016, 09:18:07 am »

Also relatively certain that no designer yet has recieved a C&D for this game.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Xeron

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill your family
    • View Profile
« Reply #3424 on: September 18, 2016, 10:24:37 am »

If that's your understanding of 40K you are very sadly mistaken and comprehend very little of how it actually functions. For one, it is not the Space Marines that are holding the Imperium together, but the Imperial Guard, troops so many in number all the space marine legions thrown together would still be far too few in number, the guard are more or less normal human military. The technology is not understood by the mechanicum correctly, as the Imperium has degenerated into a chaotic and ignorant beaureucratic machine with it's various factions infighting constantly. Their technology works because of the Warp, their belief in their techniques is what keeps said technology going right now, like the Orks believe that painting things red makes them go faster, the warp makes it real. The *murderous fungus* is a biological weapon that was built only for the purpose of fighting, so yes they make sense. The space elves would obviously be assholes considering they had one of the biggest and most advanced empires and lost it, and then had this young primitive, compared to them species grow larger and stronger. The Dark Eldar are BDSM psychopaths because their souls are forfeit to Slaanesh as soon as they die, and because they chose to remain hedonist fucks they never developed spiritstones. The Tau......yeah fuck the Tau purge them all.

Ah, the spoils of pasting one self's face onto women's bodies...

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3425 on: September 18, 2016, 10:39:00 am »

That whole paragraph has just as many glaring holes in it.
Like basically all of the canon does because it's a little overgrown.

The important thing is that this game requires close to none of that. Why even lore?
You're a chapter master of whatever X-Y-Z.
You need to clean up your sector whilst dealing with crappy imperial politics.
Kgo.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 10:41:17 am by Tack »

flyingpotato

« Reply #3426 on: September 18, 2016, 12:59:27 pm »

A very large part of the fluff is senseless. I don't particularly care for the gigantism or whatever, but the values, compononents are weapons rarely make sense.
For example, the Rhino is more armoured than the Predator tank based on it.
And if you read the armour values, a 2.5m tall powerarmour would reach those values as well:
predator armour = 0-65mm <<That tank is much bigger than modern tanks and has less armour. The soviet T-80 has 380mm of front armour. (We dont care about the composition here, just the size.)
Rhino armour = 30-60mm
Space marine armour is above 30mm thickness, just look at those pauldrons. That's what I am butchering.
Also those bolters use DEPLETED DEUTERIUM, oh wait it makes sense suddenly, against that, 30mm of armour on a 4*6.6*5.6m cardboard box makes sense: it's plenty.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 09:19:48 pm by flyingpotato »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3427 on: September 18, 2016, 01:16:58 pm »

I liked Sprinkled Chariot's description of the lore, myself.  WH40k is designed to be crazy and over the top, and it is, and I like that about it.
There are explanations if you look deep enough, but a lot of them are unreliable hearsay or plain silly.  Or change pretty often.

As for machine spirits...  Tech-priests aren't psychers.  They know the ancient rites (as in, they read the manuals).  They may also be somewhat clever or creative, though that's dangerous in the Imperiuim.  But they aren't psychers, yet they work with machine spirits.  I don't know whether machine spirits have any warp presence at all, except maybe due to the human brains that are sometimes involved in their construction.

I mean, chaos dreadnoughts aren't just corrupted machines, they have to have corrupted people implanted inside.  Whereas the Necrons, who have an aversion to all things warp, are skilled at suborning machines.

And titans are dangerous and willful, yet not agents of chaos.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3428 on: September 18, 2016, 02:33:26 pm »

This thread gets weirder every time I read it...

That's what happens when you stop FOR THE EMPEROR'ing. Chaos sets in, shit gets weird.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

flyingpotato

« Reply #3429 on: September 19, 2016, 01:54:27 am »

« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 08:41:03 am by flyingpotato »

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #3430 on: September 19, 2016, 03:16:59 am »

I actually have to ask, why does it matter if I'm full of shit or not ?
I mean, whatever happens you guys lose absolutely nothing. I can't understand why my very first post was met with hostility.

ppl are all salty because of all the attempts made at resurrecting this generating noise but nothing of value so far.

also, attention whoring is a bad habit, especially on educated forums,  this isn't tumblr for gamedevs.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3431 on: September 19, 2016, 03:26:15 am »

Chill chill guys, this was entertaining for a second.

Here's a thought; why not form a dev team? Nobody wants to do this all themselves.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 03:30:29 am by Novel Scoops »
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3432 on: September 19, 2016, 04:03:57 am »

I propose that we all propose different remakes, and then fail to follow through.   First one to actually release a game is a Heretic and must be burninated.

To get things started:  I've been meaning to learn some Python, maybe first project will be CM.

Xeron

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill your family
    • View Profile
« Reply #3433 on: September 19, 2016, 07:44:00 am »

Vect's dick, what is happening ?

Ah, the spoils of pasting one self's face onto women's bodies...

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #3434 on: September 19, 2016, 08:12:37 am »

Chill chill guys, this was entertaining for a second.

Here's a thought; why not form a dev team? Nobody wants to do this all themselves.

eh, I manage developers for a living and it's a nightmare enough even when they get paid for taking directions.
Pages: 1 ... 227 228 [229] 230 231 ... 288