Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 225 226 [227] 228 229 ... 288

Author Topic: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!  (Read 798520 times)

Skynet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!
« Reply #3390 on: August 26, 2016, 07:54:03 am »

EDIT2: Yeah, this codebase is scarier than many Chaos monsters. I mean, I think I can rewrite the lore, piece-by-piece, but rewriting of the lore might be a fairly long and involved project...and this is only rewriting the lore...no new features. Just enough to keep the game "legal". I am not sure if I have enough passion to do that...though, maybe if this "thankless" job is completed, could someone else take over from there to continue "maintenance" work?

Already done.  In addition to CM I also released the source code for Interstellar Army Simulator 2015.  You may or may not want to clean that up, instead, since there would be a lot less to do.  Here's a relink to the pastebin.

Ah cool. Yeah, Interstellar Army Simulator seems like less of a nightmare...since some of the fluff has already been cleaned up ahead of time. I'll see what I can do to clean up the plot further. Thanks Duke.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3391 on: August 26, 2016, 08:55:18 am »

Ah cool. Yeah, Interstellar Army Simulator seems like less of a nightmare...since some of the fluff has already been cleaned up ahead of time. I'll see what I can do to clean up the plot further. Thanks Duke.
Just please, don't go rouge and start a nuclear apocalypse, and if you can't stand the urge of doing so, please at least try to send a robot back in time to kill Connor when he's a baby.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Flow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3392 on: September 11, 2016, 05:46:04 am »

If anyone does plan on taking up the original GameMaker version you can currently get the full version on HumbleBundle for next to nothing. Just an FYI.

DerrickMoore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3393 on: September 17, 2016, 03:45:13 am »

Wow.

I just learned of Chapter Master, and, well, like wow. the lore is incredible, the story behind the game was enjoyable too. I think it's the kinda game alot of 40K fans need.

I tried to look around inside the game a little, but I could only read the image files. I found something called a "data.win" file that I suspect holds all the lore info I'm trying to look at, but I have no idea how to open that file.

what makes .win files, and what tool do I need to open it?

I'm art-side, so if that's a real noob question, forgive me.

flyingpotato

« Reply #3394 on: September 17, 2016, 04:13:59 am »

(removed)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 01:39:43 am by Toady One »

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3395 on: September 17, 2016, 05:29:45 am »

I started making a CM clone a month ago (15th of august), from scratch and not using Duke's source code nor art. To be fair, I don't use his source code because I can't, and I don't use his Sprites because I don't plan on making it look good (for the foreseable future, which given how fast I get things to work, is probably a few years, plus a few more.).
So far, I have finished the world generator, faction generator, buildings, ressources, etc. (Which is probably the easy part, especially since "finished" just means it works with its currently limited scope. The star works pretty well though, with blackbody radiation color based on their temperature etc.)
I am reworking entirely the player faction editor (it is functional but I am expanding it, probably far too much.).
Currently it's not turn-based but pausable/accelerated time. That may very well change.
Also w40k fans will not like it: I am butchering whatever retardation I find in the lore, I must be covered it blood by now.

That sounds great, but I'm going to have to put out a 'pics or it didn't happen' request, as we've had quite a lot of 'I'm sort of working on something' which hasn't evolved into anything.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3396 on: September 17, 2016, 08:26:45 am »

Truth. "I'm doing a thing" means jack now.
Dump a WIP maybe.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

flyingpotato

« Reply #3397 on: September 17, 2016, 04:58:34 pm »

« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 04:13:46 am by flyingpotato »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3398 on: September 17, 2016, 05:55:19 pm »

It's just there are a lot of nascent game developers on these forums, and when people say they have a WIP of something people really like (like CM), hype sings its siren song. And people end up disappointed.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3399 on: September 17, 2016, 06:02:40 pm »

I must have missed something, where did I ask for your credit card number trust ?

Well that's not a problem I wouldn't be able to make it public anyway (Fair use is not a world wide law)

As nenjin says, this thread has been full of 'I'm making this awesome version CM' and it's turned out to be nothing. What you've got looks good though.

I also don't get your last statement - do you mean that you won't be sharing the game publicly?
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

flyingpotato

« Reply #3400 on: September 17, 2016, 06:18:47 pm »

« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 04:13:54 am by flyingpotato »

Xeron

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill your family
    • View Profile
« Reply #3401 on: September 17, 2016, 06:43:12 pm »

Tehnically it wouldn't be your fault if someone say........leaked it to others, would it ?

Ah, the spoils of pasting one self's face onto women's bodies...

flyingpotato

« Reply #3402 on: September 17, 2016, 06:51:33 pm »

« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 04:14:07 am by flyingpotato »

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3403 on: September 17, 2016, 07:14:24 pm »

Technically it wouldn't be your fault if... it was pay what you want?
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

flyingpotato

« Reply #3404 on: September 17, 2016, 07:23:00 pm »

« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 04:03:16 am by flyingpotato »
Pages: 1 ... 225 226 [227] 228 229 ... 288