Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 215 216 [217] 218 219 ... 288

Author Topic: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!  (Read 798865 times)

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!
« Reply #3240 on: May 21, 2016, 03:25:01 am »

To be fairly honest though, GW took the Zerg Designs for newer Tyranids right back.

I mean who can forget when Tyranids looked like this before Zerg?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 03:27:24 am by ZebioLizard2 »

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3241 on: May 21, 2016, 03:39:59 am »

sure.  But the art world has always been an incestious cercle jerk.  For example, Van Gogh and Munch were contemporaries that shaped each others styles over time.

And look at the lictor in the back of that image, they were already on the way.

Not like the original 'stealers weren't ripped directly from Gieger!  Haha.

Flow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3242 on: May 21, 2016, 09:04:03 am »

So just to clarify here - is this discussion to say that generic is uninteresting and boring or that generic is great and acceptable so long as it's Starcraft-close? The discussion seemed to move on from one point to the other pretty quickly so it's difficult to tell what the core belief is.

And for what it's worth, the Starcraft analogy seems pretty out there. For one, they copied generics rather than specifics, somethign common to a lot of sci-fi universes, and for two it was done by an another business several years ago - if GW wished to go after them for it it would've required solid legal grounding and a specific breach of intellectual proeprty. If GW wants to go after some fan game created by one or two guys, do you really think they'll hesitate to fire out a C&D knowing that the receipient is unlikely to challenge them in court? It baffles me how that point seems to get missed so very often, despite Duke's "sudden and unexpected" departure, exactly in line with receiving a C&D that typically involves a clause of not publicising the process.

Thelegendofawesome

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3243 on: May 28, 2016, 12:41:13 pm »

Is this still alive? loved playing the version Duke made, so i was wondering if it's still being worked on by Journier or Flow.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3244 on: May 28, 2016, 03:01:48 pm »

despite Duke's "sudden and unexpected" departure, exactly in line with receiving a C&D that typically involves a clause of not publicising the process.
I'm pretty sure Duke would have said what was up, if not here then elsewhere. There's no need to impugn his honesty.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #3245 on: May 28, 2016, 03:03:48 pm »

despite Duke's "sudden and unexpected" departure, exactly in line with receiving a C&D that typically involves a clause of not publicising the process.
I'm pretty sure Duke would have said what was up, if not here then elsewhere. There's no need to impugn his honesty.

the game also removed all content, like that other game which was let live.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3246 on: May 28, 2016, 03:12:59 pm »

Plus I'm pretty sure he's technically an Imperial Saint now, so, it's also possibly heresy. Saint Dukeus of the Broken Code.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3247 on: May 29, 2016, 06:06:02 pm »

Last I remember Duke didn't get a C&D. But made the cuts because he was worried about getting a C&D.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3248 on: May 30, 2016, 06:48:41 am »

Last I remember Duke didn't get a C&D. But made the cuts because he was worried about getting a C&D.
He made the changes because of that, yeah, but I think he quit mostly because he stopped enjoying it.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3249 on: May 30, 2016, 04:01:47 pm »

That's not something that happens. A cease and desist isn't a process or something you agree to and sign a contract, it's just a letter saying 'stop doing this now or we'll take legal action'. That's it. If he was made a deal (which would be the only thing that might include a NDA of a sort) then it's a possibility, but as great as CM is, I can't imagine GW wanting to buy it off him.

Don't mean to rant, I just think it's a little low to say Duke wasn't open about his reasons without some sort of indication.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3250 on: May 30, 2016, 04:12:54 pm »

but as great as CM is, I can't imagine GW wanting to buy it off him.

And if they had, it wouldn't have been released as open source...

I agree, and I'm inclined to take peoples word at face value, rather than making up wild stories.  But maybe I'm just a sheeple.

veryangryenglishman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3251 on: May 31, 2016, 04:15:24 am »

Anyone know if Flow is still around? He hasn't said anything in a while and his development blog has gone permission only to read.

SkeletusAurelius

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise the Huemanatee!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3252 on: June 01, 2016, 12:00:56 pm »

I do, but i'd rather not say any particulars.

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #3253 on: June 01, 2016, 12:44:04 pm »

I mean, they were on the forums a few hours ago, so they're obviously alive, and likely aware that there's curiosity on this thread about them.

veryangryenglishman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3254 on: June 01, 2016, 02:10:58 pm »

Skeletus is this something that us plebs are likely to hear anything about in due course? ;D
Pages: 1 ... 215 216 [217] 218 219 ... 288