Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 217 218 [219] 220 221 ... 288

Author Topic: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!  (Read 798774 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!
« Reply #3270 on: July 02, 2016, 11:28:01 am »

Oh yeah, quite playable.
Just perpetually alpha.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3271 on: July 02, 2016, 02:08:51 pm »

When has GW gone after freeware, low budget, 40k games?
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3272 on: July 02, 2016, 04:41:01 pm »

A better question would be "When has GWS ever gone after unlicensed use of their art" and the answer I believe is often. I remember old guys at the hobby store slipping me a baggie of cast-molded Imperial Aquilas like it was cocaine, they were that paranoid about it.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3273 on: July 03, 2016, 07:03:58 am »

Yeah we are talking about the same guys that tried to copyright damn individual words and phrases of common use in the English language, and on top ones they didn't even invented.

However I don't think they would have gone after CM at all, specially if developed as it was with no direct reference of 40K, no matter how modeable.

The only way they would have gone after it would have been if:
1- Chapter master was developed openly as an official 40K game.
2- The developer charged money to get it.
3- It mixed 40k lore with other IP elements (star wars, star trek and such)
4- GW were to be soon to launch their own version.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Rixoli

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3274 on: July 04, 2016, 09:13:11 pm »

I've been trolling through this thread for a while now. A moment of silence for all those great coders/artists whom dropped the game in fear for what it might do to them legally.....

That said, could someone link me to the most recent update/rip/zip of this game? I've been going through the thread for a while now and my mind is basically fried on trying to find these things.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3275 on: July 05, 2016, 02:18:22 pm »

There's a very small chance GW could go after someone that developed CM in it's current form, but the very worst they could do is a cease and desist. A C&D is not remotely 'legal' in terms of you get a criminal record, pay anything, go to court or anything like that, it's just telling you to stop doing it or they might take legal action. As soon as you took out any art/IP then you could go on as normal - it happens all the time with games/mods. Yes, they can go directly to suing you, but they know any judge on the entire planet would immediately ask why they hadn't gotten in touch with a C&D first, and then make them do so (different case if someone was charging for CM though).

Regardless, even the most batshit insane lawyer wouldn't have gone after the version flow was supposedly working, as it wasn't a GW based game. I believe flow probably had other reasons for stepping away, and was just using the 'oh no GW might come after me' as a convenient excuse for stepping away. There's no harm in stepping away, but it's a bit cheap to use the 'fear of GW' as an excuse - especially when saying that you're going to continue and make an awesome game but just not share it - super lame.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3276 on: July 05, 2016, 03:09:20 pm »

I dunno, GW has been C&D happy. Flow was given the choice between making the SM game the community wanted and risking to have to stop on everything at any moment, or  not making it SM related and seeing the community go.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3277 on: July 05, 2016, 03:39:57 pm »

I dunno, GW has been C&D happy. Flow was given the choice between making the SM game the community wanted and risking to have to stop on everything at any moment, or  not making it SM related and seeing the community go.

Even in their wildest C&D happy dreams, GW can't send a C&D to a game engine based on a game that was once kinda to do with GW stuff. It'd be like GW sending a C&D to Bungie because Halo has space marines' in it. Actually it's worse than that, it's GW sending a C&D to Epic because they made the unreal engine which could be used to make a GW based game.

I don't think Flow was given that choice at all - yes, some CM W40k mega-enthusiasts may have dropped off the radar temporarily, but Flow would have picked up a HUGE amount of fans/interest if s/he created a 'space battle/marine simulator engine' topic - way more than CM could ever achieve. The ability to mod in your favourite space game/movie/book would have people absolutely clamoring for it.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3278 on: July 05, 2016, 06:08:01 pm »

GW has sent C&D over the term Space Marine, with limited success. And the creator here, is using GW without explicit permission. The engine, doesnt matter. The content does.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3279 on: July 05, 2016, 11:10:52 pm »

No. He was making an interstellar soldiers games. Unless GW owns the rights of space and the concept of warfare they can't do anything.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3280 on: July 05, 2016, 11:53:16 pm »

I think their cease and desist letter made a lot of sense. I mean it's strange, but when I saw this space soldier simulator and simulated it for a while I completely lost interest in that other unrelated thing. Warhammer 40k I think it was called? At one point in my life I was prepared to buy all of their games, hundreds of figures, books and posters. But this simulator completely killed any desire I had for those things. All of that money I was going to spend on Warhammer 40k? I sent it directly to the creator of space soldier simulator instead. So yeah he really screwed GW over here with his simulation. For shame

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3281 on: July 05, 2016, 11:57:08 pm »

That's not a valid reason even though I felt exactly the same and completely lost interest in Dawn of War once this interstar military sim was available.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3282 on: July 06, 2016, 12:37:06 am »

Only a good guy with a dead horse can stop a bad guy with a dead horse. Fight dead horses with dead horuses- I mean horses- oh god theyre coming. I can hear them. Millions of lawyers

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3283 on: July 06, 2016, 05:48:54 am »

GW has always been super litigious. I blame it on them being british.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Rixoli

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3284 on: July 08, 2016, 04:19:37 pm »

Okay, figured that all out.....I feel like a total retard asking this, but how do you commit forces to a crusade? I've gone through all the menus I can think of, i've moved my entire damned chapter to the site they are gathering at.....but it just dings me as saying I don't have anyone assigned to the crusade, how do I go about doing so?
Pages: 1 ... 217 218 [219] 220 221 ... 288