Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 288

Author Topic: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!  (Read 798095 times)

frankensteins poster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!
« Reply #1815 on: July 25, 2015, 06:18:37 pm »

What got me once is that your recruitment speed is as far as I can tell indistinguishable from zero unless you're recruiting from a Death World

DukeFluffy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1816 on: July 25, 2015, 11:24:46 pm »

Noted on the weird recruiting behavior people are seeing.

Hypothetically, let's say that there are five types of feast ranging from kind of humble up to something lavish and over the top (i.e. Roman feasts).  What sort of dishes and appetizers would you expect each of these five stages to have?  I ask because I'm terrible where it comes to food and not familiar with any 40k ones other than grox.

Bacon_commando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1817 on: July 26, 2015, 02:06:13 am »

I would just like to say, great work Duke. The game is quite wonderful, despite the occasional crash.

As for possible food and drink choices for the feasts, I found this to be quite informative.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 02:08:04 am by Bacon_commando »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1818 on: July 26, 2015, 04:11:02 am »

Hypothetically, let's say that there are five types of feast ranging from kind of humble up to something lavish and over the top (i.e. Roman feasts).  What sort of dishes and appetizers would you expect each of these five stages to have?  I ask because I'm terrible where it comes to food and not familiar with any 40k ones other than grox.

Booze always seems a good place to start

Space Marine physiology means it takes incredible potent alcohol to get them drunk. There's no name for it I've ever read, just that it's enough to inebriate a human after a couple of sips and enough to kill them after a drink or two.

For courses.....the kinds depends on the chapter, I'd say. Blood Angels might eat fancy where Space Wolves might just do lots of roasted meat and super mead. The Ultramarines are going to eat more common (as in widely eaten across the Imperium) where like the Salamanders might eat some home world specialty. FWIW, the fluff usually either invents its own dishes to meet the moment, or falls back on the standard. (Grox cooked various ways people today recognized, sauced, with veggies, etc....)

Maybe try to focus on the qualities of the food as much as what it is. Protein rich, filling, abundant quantities.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1819 on: July 26, 2015, 05:10:39 am »

I think the least lavish feasts wouldn't be feasts at all, but rather ascetic prayer meetings where you contemplate the past and future deeds of the chapter. That, I think, would really differentiate the feasts and chapters from each other, especially if different feasts had different effects?

So you'd have like - 1) ascetic meditation meeting, 2) ritualistic dinner with some speeches held etc, 3) viking-style feast with feats of strength and competitions between party-goers, 4) everything-goes-party where temporarily rank has no effect and everyone can say whatever there is on their mind, no punishments 5) this-makes-slaanesh-proud decadence event.

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1820 on: July 26, 2015, 07:20:44 am »

Booze always seems a good place to start

Space Marine physiology means it takes incredible potent alcohol to get them drunk. There's no name for it I've ever read, just that it's enough to inebriate a human after a couple of sips and enough to kill them after a drink or two.

For courses.....the kinds depends on the chapter, I'd say. Blood Angels might eat fancy where Space Wolves might just do lots of roasted meat and super mead. The Ultramarines are going to eat more common (as in widely eaten across the Imperium) where like the Salamanders might eat some home world specialty. FWIW, the fluff usually either invents its own dishes to meet the moment, or falls back on the standard. (Grox cooked various ways people today recognized, sauced, with veggies, etc....)

Maybe try to focus on the qualities of the food as much as what it is. Protein rich, filling, abundant quantities.

There's only one specific alcohol that can reliably get a space marine drunk, and it's Fenrisian Ale due to the toxin and high potency that shuts down their kidney implant, it's typically drunk by Space Wolves obviously.

http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Fenrisian_Ale

Grox is pretty much the Cow of the 40k Universe, so you'll often find plenty of foods based on it, but often times people will just eat whatever's native to their planet or whatever food is delivered from the food ships.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1821 on: July 26, 2015, 09:48:08 am »

At first I thought grox was an orky-form like Squiggoths.  Probably a bad idea to import and eat squiggoth!
And I like that the Space Wolves come from Fenris, very appropriate.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1822 on: July 26, 2015, 07:13:29 pm »

I had an odd experience the other day. I was just minding my own business, krumping orks all over the place like usual, when I see a new announcement. It was something like "Xenos contamination in chapter vehicle pool", I don't remember the exact wording. I looked through the vehicle roster and nothing stood out, All at 100% because I barely use them anyway.
Thinking nothing of it, I carry on until a few turns later when the Mechanicus offers a mission for me: bring 8 Techmarines and a Land Raider to Yavin 1 and park them there for a few turns. It's an easy arrangement and I get it done, gaining a bit of rep with the geargheads and losing nothing.
However, when the job is done, I get an alert: "Ork forces suddenly appear on Yavin 1!". I know this isn't right from the start, the Yavin system(with only three planets) is on the other side of the map from ork forces, and my own for that matter. There's no way a fleet could have gotten there, it would have taken a tactical genius to...
That's when it hit me. Those clever bastards had somehow gotten aboard the ship with the Land Raider and hid until they reached Yavin.
That's brutally cunning, that is.
I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.

Jimexmore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1823 on: July 26, 2015, 07:23:14 pm »

Ah food,Say it depends of your progenitor chapter, ultras would eat very light festive meals A.E grox roast with veggies or something maybe a really strong wine. blood angels would prefer fine foods like master made beef gabon's or something, salamanders... soul food fried grox corn bread and greens stuff like that. for normal chapters you would go Turgroxen or Nice fenris ale. or course it would really be a fest more like large prayer service where they serve food too.
Spess mehreens Spess mehreens we make our Enemies die

snowdrifts

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1824 on: July 27, 2015, 10:15:17 am »

If you're a Blood Angel, you might do a painting or carve a sculpture or something too.

That would be really interesting. Some minor, artsy artifacts could pop up every now and then from it.

Feast levels might go:

1) Regular - spartan food, modest prayer
2) Devotional - held specifically for the Emperor/Chapter beliefs/Saint; special food etc
3) Honourific - honouring the fallen/remembiner victories; better food, brotherly atmosphere
4) Celebratory - Space Wolf feast, drinking, fighting, laughing
5) Bacchanalian - actual revelry and excess
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 12:43:24 pm by snowdrifts »

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1825 on: July 27, 2015, 02:09:42 pm »

We should probably tie some of this stuff to positives/negatives as well, that would change some stuff based on what you have for the chapter.

Golym

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1826 on: July 27, 2015, 02:35:49 pm »

Duke, why did you limit the Advantages/Disadvantages to 4 of each? If I have the points why can't I pick more?

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1827 on: July 27, 2015, 03:23:41 pm »

If you're a Blood Angel, you might do a painting or carve a sculpture or something too.

That would be really interesting. Some minor, artsy artifacts could pop up every now and then from it.
INB4 what do I do with all these artsy artifacts I can't do anything with?

Sell off artifacts, maybe some poor fool with too much requisition will want it.
Give away artifacts, make friends with poor taste.
Smash artifacts, but you are making some kinda point... right?
Stash artifacts in dead world.  Out of sight, out of mind.
Make an artsy space marine museum, stash artsy artifacts there.  Make pitiful amount of requisition, be fancy space marine.  Gawk at expenses of artsy space marine museum at end of month.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1828 on: July 27, 2015, 06:07:10 pm »

It would be a flavorful thing though, building up Chapter Lore for your gameplay. The bust of Chapter Master Blah created by Blah, who died on planet blah in the year blah.blahblah.blah. Akin to DF's art creation model but on a much more modest scale. Could be extensible to other chapters as well. Space Wolf makes a knife, Iron Hand makes a fancy augmetic, Ultramarine writes a discourse, etc...
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 06:40:42 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1829 on: July 27, 2015, 07:08:48 pm »

And Blood Ravens "receive gifts".
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 288