Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 288

Author Topic: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!  (Read 798857 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!
« Reply #1065 on: February 04, 2015, 11:16:24 am »

Because of the name. "Assault" implies close quarters combat. In the table top, Auto cannons have a long range while Assault cannons have a smaller one. You mount auto cannons on tanks because they fire cheaper bulk ammunition, not the depleted uranium core bolt shells like assault cannons do. Autocannons are used by the Imperium and Imperial Guard at large. Assault cannons are exclusively for the use of the Astartes. They are also exclusively infantry weapons, at least as far as I remember. There may be some vehicle variant out there (excluding dreadnoughts) that slapped assault cannons on.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 01:06:46 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: February 04, 2015, 01:00:41 pm »

Assault cannons are exclusively for the use of the Astartes. They are also exclusively infantry weapons, at least as far as I remember. There may be some vehicle variant out there that slapped assault cannons on.
The game needs updated info then.  I assumed an assault cannon was vehicle or dreadnought mounted due to its firepower.  Does that mean it's not unreasonably to equip my scouts with assault cannons?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: February 04, 2015, 01:04:57 pm »

Sorry, I suppose I misspoke there. Dreadnoughts are not infantry, they're vehicles. My brain always makes them into infantry. And while Terminators are infantry, they're honestly a lot more like tanks.

So it was incorrect to say assault cannons are exclusive to infantry. They can be equipped to both. But you need to weigh about a ton or more at least to control it properly. Not even regular Space Marine power armor can handle it. So sorry, no scouts with assault cannons, as rad and as broken as that sounds.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 01:07:59 pm by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: February 04, 2015, 01:09:55 pm »

Honestly I find everyone with heavy boltors to be pretty OP anyways.  Rapid fire and good damage.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: February 04, 2015, 01:12:10 pm »

Honestly I find everyone with heavy boltors to be pretty OP anyways.  Rapid fire and good damage.

Under the table top rules, Assault Cannons are an order of magnitude better than Heavy Bolters except in range IIRC. More shots per volley on average, way higher strength, way higher armor penetration. They only have the unfortunate habit of blowing up in some rule sets when you roll too many jams :P

JohnieRWilkins

• Bay Watcher
  • @_@?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: February 04, 2015, 01:45:36 pm »

Weapon balance changes please:
This list is only the proposed changes to the weapon stats. If I don't list a stat then it should stay the same. (ex: splash damage on power axe) The underlined changes are critical. As it is there is no reason to use anything other than the power fist for melee and a missile launcher for ranged. Hoping this list makes all weapons usable with there being clear choices in certain situations. (Plasma if you're filthy rich. Force weapon if you're a librarian. Power sword if you're irreplaceable. Chain sword if you're a tar pit. Axes if blood for the blood god. Power fist against vehicles. Thunder ham against vehicles and infantry.)

chainsword, eviscerator: +8 to AC
chain axe: 140 ATT

power axe: 200 ATT, 30 ARP, cost 30 (discount one handed thunder hammer that sucks against vehicles)
power sword: 100 ATT, 30 ARP, 33% damage mitigation in melee before any reductions, cost 35
power fist: remove splash
power fists: remove splash

force weapon: cost 80, add splash, +8 to AC

bolt pistol: att 60
bolter, combiflamer: att 80
storm bolter: att 100
plasma pistol: att 130
archeotech laspistol: att 150
hellrifle: att 200
sniper rifle: att 120
assault cannon: att 200
missile launcher: remove rapid fire
autocannon: arp 100

misc gear suggestions:
Bionics +10% melee and ranged per unit in addition to the HP restoration
Increase the various armor melee and ranged bonuses/maluses so it's more easily noticeable in combat. Make better armors increase total HP like the storm shield does.
Give vehicles more HP.

Force fields from the dark heresy 2ed ruleset:
refractor field: 30% damage mitigation before any reductions. Trade from the lord general for 70 req each.
conversion field: 50% damage mitigation before any reductions. (iron halo and rosarius are one of these I don't care much for their distinction, ~ 250 req from armamentarium)
displacer field: 55% damage mitigation before any reductions. Trade with inquisitor for 200 req. Small chance of corruption on being hit.
personal power field: 80% damage mitigation before any reductions. Doesn't work in melee. 30% melee penalty. ~1k req from mechanicus.
vehicle power field: 80% damage mitigation before any reductions. Doesn't work in melee. ~1k req from mechanicus. Can be fitted to a vehicle of your choice.
- But honestly, if you think
If we could miniaturize things, we would have everybody wielding drawbridges and utterly atomizing

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: February 04, 2015, 02:06:21 pm »

While we're at it, can we add Crozious' in please? Need to honor our Chaplains.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 02:44:00 pm by nenjin »

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: February 04, 2015, 03:43:24 pm »

Anyone else have problems equipping Archaeotech Pistols?

Yes, there is a typo somewhere and it messes with equipping.

Bug: there's no way to equip autocannons to dreadnoughts. They are purchasable under the vehicles menu. They're worse than the assault cannon in every way and cost 10 more req.

Inferno Cannons also can't be equipped. I'm not even sure what they are, some flame weapon I think? Would be useful on dreds, especially while raiding.

I hope the bug with enemy fleets getting stuck around certain systems doing nothing gets fixed soon. The only Forge World in my sector has 28 Ork battleships sitting in orbit, the Navy can't crusade them hard enough, and without its shipyards there will be no more ships. They aren't moving away even if I purge all nearby systems.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: February 04, 2015, 03:46:00 pm »

Inferno Cannons also can't be equipped. I'm not even sure what they are, some flame weapon I think? Would be useful on dreds, especially while raiding.

http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Inferno_Cannon

They're a Titan-class weapon for the most part. They can be mounted on Super Heavy Tanks and, I guess, a certain variant of Chimera. So I'm guessing they were meant to be attached to Predators and Land Raiders.

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: February 04, 2015, 07:45:53 pm »

I found out the Baal Predator variant carries twin-linked Assault Cannons, so you were right.

Anyone having trouble downloading the new version? My download crawled up to 19% and dropped dead. Not the first attempt, too.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: February 04, 2015, 08:46:06 pm »

http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Inferno_Cannon

They're a Titan-class weapon for the most part. They can be mounted on Super Heavy Tanks and, I guess, a certain variant of Chimera. So I'm guessing they were meant to be attached to Predators and Land Raiders.

euh. THAT wiki. Here, have a link to the fount of 40k knowledge

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Inferno_cannon
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: February 04, 2015, 08:53:42 pm »

Looks like they both kinda stand, as they both cite different but legitimate sources. Although your's is way more neckbeardy, s'true.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: February 04, 2015, 09:31:50 pm »

I have 23 guys onboard a frigate several of whom are from different companies/groups. Is there a way to unload them all at once so that I can have all of them take part in searching an ancient ruin? So far I can only drop them on the planet from the company screen which leaves quite a few of them out of the fight if I do that :\

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: February 05, 2015, 02:05:36 am »

Just say no to exploring the ruins, land another group, say no...until you're ready.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: February 05, 2015, 02:08:18 am »

Bah, everyone knows 1d4wiki is the best wiki on Warhamster. Lexicanum takes itself too seriously and taking itself seriously is where Grimhammer 40k went wrong to begin with.
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 288