Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 288

Author Topic: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!  (Read 798517 times)

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!
« Reply #870 on: January 22, 2015, 01:15:41 pm »

Duke, what about externalizing the data file and having a generic sci fi theme as default?
Sounds like a lot of work for very limited benefit.
open-sourcing [is] likely the best solution for this project
That assumption is based around the idea that there are myriad people who can help. Unfortunately, /tg/ isn't a programmer's board. Hell, that's why it's made in GML now, and the last try was in Visual Basic - the language being used was the one taught as the entry level coding in community college, and it had to be swapped out for an even more plebian language because there were no available coders. The fact is, the workflow of "if you want to help, hop on IRC and ask Duke what needs doing" has been entirely sufficient for the volume of contributors available and there's no reason to suspect that will change.

Also, based on the rate of increase on the patreon account, it seems like that solution's going to work pretty well.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: January 22, 2015, 02:13:43 pm »

I got my hard drive corrected...but yesterday I got laid off...so now I have to focus on finding a new job ASAP.

I have the shittiest luck...

In other news I did get GM and have done lots of practicing with it, even made my own little game in it. So maybe when shit stops going wrong I can look into taking it up again

ArneHD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: January 22, 2015, 03:17:20 pm »

I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but my marines seem to loose 20% health when I deploy them from a ship on an attack or raid. Is this WAD?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: January 22, 2015, 05:52:04 pm »

I don't know what Chrome Strike is, but if it's a legit way to compensate you for a product I've enjoyed immensely...I'll be loading the orbital bombardment cannon with small bills shortly.

Not sure if that sort of advertising is tolerated here.  More exposure is always better but I'd rather not irritate people in other threads.

Posting purely to phish for donations is frowned upon. But simply posting in a general topic thread to let 40k fans (who must have been living under space rock to not know about CM by now) know about the game is absolutely acceptable. And if such a post were to happen to mention how you could donate at the bottom somewhere....that'd be cool too.

On the Error'd save game front......Turn 1 saves still seem to result in broken saves, but I've managed to have a game successfully save and load for the first time in about 5 versions, after I clicked through about 5 turns. So that's pretty fuckin' rad.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 06:02:30 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: January 22, 2015, 06:19:44 pm »

I don't know what Chrome Strike is
This: http://1d4chan.org/wiki/ChromeStrike
It's legit pretty awesome if you like mechs and tabletop games.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: January 22, 2015, 06:29:05 pm »

and remember, Patron is only a c less than a Padron

XD

DukeFluffy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: January 22, 2015, 06:34:23 pm »

Duke, what about externalizing the data file and having a generic sci fi theme as default?
That's one of the options, but it would pretty much be an entirely new UI update to remove 40k stuff and have a 'graphics mod' revert it.

Unfortunately, /tg/ isn't a programmer's board. Hell, that's why it's made in GML now, and the last try was in Visual Basic - the language being used was the one taught as the entry level coding in community college, and it had to be swapped out for an even more plebian language because there were no available coders. The fact is, the workflow of "if you want to help, hop on IRC and ask Duke what needs doing" has been entirely sufficient for the volume of contributors available and there's no reason to suspect that will change.

Also, based on the rate of increase on the patreon account, it seems like that solution's going to work pretty well.
That is all exactly right.

I got my hard drive corrected...but yesterday I got laid off...so now I have to focus on finding a new job ASAP.

I have the shittiest luck...

In other news I did get GM and have done lots of practicing with it, even made my own little game in it. So maybe when shit stops going wrong I can look into taking it up again
Damn man, I hope you find some new work.  Being between jobs is one of the worst things.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 06:43:28 pm by DukeFluffy »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: January 22, 2015, 07:21:59 pm »

I don't know what Chrome Strike is
This: http://1d4chan.org/wiki/ChromeStrike
It's legit pretty awesome if you like mechs and tabletop games.
Looks pretty nice.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: January 23, 2015, 05:26:12 am »

That's one of the options, but it would pretty much be an entirely new UI update to remove 40k stuff and have a 'graphics mod' revert it.

That is the road that Teardown took with Alien Assault, though I don't think the mods changed the UI?  Just the sprites?  Not sure.  Here is a video series of the modded game in action:  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLIBxIpKVc_1LeQUBh6AXyLXoBGK_w8uiR

Your UI is so heavily themed it would probably be a whole different ballgame to revamp it.

Necroman21

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: January 23, 2015, 03:51:55 pm »

Im not sure if you are gonna make any more patches, but some things that might be useful.
A tab that allows you to see/manage all your marines together in addition to company tabs.
My psykers never do offensive abilties. Only stuff like fire shield,healing and buffs. That one is either a bug or i just have a lot of pacifist psykers.
And im not sure how difficult the next one would be to do, but could there be a "Debug" mode or something. Like allowing you to spawn marines and wargear for custom chapters.
btw. Thanks for the awesome game. :)

DukeFluffy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: January 23, 2015, 05:52:30 pm »

Im not sure if you are gonna make any more patches, but some things that might be useful.
A tab that allows you to see/manage all your marines together in addition to company tabs.
My psykers never do offensive abilties. Only stuff like fire shield,healing and buffs. That one is either a bug or i just have a lot of pacifist psykers.
And im not sure how difficult the next one would be to do, but could there be a "Debug" mode or something. Like allowing you to spawn marines and wargear for custom chapters.
btw. Thanks for the awesome game. :)
More patches will happen, but they probably won't occur as rapidly as they have in the past.  Some stuff is planned for a management update that will allow nearly infinite marines to be seen at once.  The psykers stuff definitely is a bug- I'll have to take a look at the logic for them using attack powers and see what went wrong.  Debug mode is already in for the next patch.  And you're welcome.

halosammy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: January 23, 2015, 06:19:03 pm »

In this stage of development, I think the hardest chapter to make will be the Imperial Fists. The Sol System and the defense fleet is going to be a pain. You should save that for last so you don't tear your hair out.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: January 23, 2015, 06:31:42 pm »

I guess one thing I would like is some less generic Geneseed mutation effects.

In that, I feel like the mutations to a specific organ or feature and its connection to an in-game mechanic is stretched a little thin. For example, instead of eating fallen enemies from the battlefield ONLY hurting faction rep, if it caused some of your marines to not attack in the current round of combat, I feel like that would better emulate the consequences of mutation.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: January 23, 2015, 07:09:48 pm »

I guess one thing I would like is some less generic Geneseed mutation effects.

In that, I feel like the mutations to a specific organ or feature and its connection to an in-game mechanic is stretched a little thin. For example, instead of eating fallen enemies from the battlefield ONLY hurting faction rep, if it caused some of your marines to not attack in the current round of combat, I feel like that would better emulate the consequences of mutation.
It doesn't ONLY do that. Have you ever had a marine accidentally eat an inquisitor?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: January 23, 2015, 09:51:50 pm »

I haven't, so fair enough. I'm only going on what the stated effects are under each mutation.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, it feels like the effects are bent to try and fit into Chapter Master's battle mechanics and such, rather than the effects growing from what the mutation actually does. Some of the accomplish this a'ight, some of them not so much.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 09:53:27 pm by nenjin »
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 288