Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 288

Author Topic: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!  (Read 798669 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!
« Reply #465 on: September 03, 2014, 05:56:30 pm »

The RNG in this game is so strange.

For example. I fly up to a planet with an artifact discovered, land, steal it, defeat light resistance, and get item X. I reload, repeat the process several times, never getting item X again, only Y, regardless of if the mission was accomplished full stealth or not. As a result of savescumming the Artifact thefts, I have 3 Plasma Guns that glow with an eerie blue light, as it kept being the "second" result I'd get after loading a save. The other artifacts I found that aren't those specific Plasma Guns were on non-Mechanicus planets (and didn't save scum to change the results.)

I fly to a planet with an undiscovred POI. It's an artifact. I dislike the outcome of the battle I fought to secure the artifact. I reload. The same planet now has an STC fragment, and no amount of reloading changes that.

I play 50 turns with perhaps 1 "major" (ie. has a screen of its own) event the whole time. (A WAAAAGGGHH, for example. But also stuff like Heretic Fleets.) Then, after some mystical time (coinciding roughly with the death of all the Ork hordes in the sector) big events start popping regularly. I have a save on the crux of one of these events, and within 2 to 3 jumps it happens in the same place every time. It starts out with a smattering of events (Gene Seed Mutation, The Maw Of The Warp Opens, Crusade Events, Inquisitor Missions, Promotions), and as I keep reloading, the results get narrower and narrower, until finally no event but Gene Seed Mutation pops.

Battle results seem pretty repeatable too between reloads, although there's more going on there surely. Still, playing Blood Angels, I've reloaded battles and had the same same # of casualties and Red Thirsts and even Red Thirsts affecting the same marines as in previous reloads.

It kinda makes me think the seed is on an interval of some sort, and that there's something going on with seed generation when you reload a game. Like it pushes the seed forward an increment and it gets saved into your game, so you can't get the previous result you just had (usually.) This is all purely anecdotal navel gazing and I'm probably wrong on all of it, but as someone who likes to reload saves and explore all possible alternatives, I've found myself abnormally frustrated with this game. It tantalizes you with one result, but then sticks you with another repeating result the second and nth times around. I think I spent an hour reloading the same small moment in time (measured by a ship carrying my whole Chapter), because an event kept popping with such regularity. It got to the point I reloaded an earlier, played it up to the same place and started again, getting a completely different (yet still repeatable) set of results from it.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 06:10:58 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: September 03, 2014, 06:08:35 pm »

might be some intentional anti-cheat protection. 

Cheat-Engine is pretty difficult to use with this game, I couldn't get it to find any of the values I was searching for in memory -- Chapter creation points, geneseed, requisition... They are either stored in memory in some strange way, or are intentionally obfuscated.

So the game definitely handles numbers strangely.  It may just be anecdotally strange, or it might be intentional to prevent people like you and me from cheating.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: September 03, 2014, 06:15:08 pm »

Might explain why the most repeatable bug I've found is the "Out of Memory!" crash that likes to happen after I've been playing a while and constantly saving/reloading. It usually happens on an attempted save or load, but I've seen it happens after an event triggers.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: September 03, 2014, 09:21:47 pm »

Yeah, I really do think you should only be able to move companies around as a whole unit, not individual guys.  It would make the UI a lot simpler and makes sense from a gameplay perspective.

Also, do you think Duke knows about this thread?
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: September 03, 2014, 10:16:43 pm »

PTW, I don't want to forget about this when I have time to try it.  Xenos will be recruited purged, chaos artifacts will be obtained destroyed!
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: September 03, 2014, 10:34:02 pm »

might be some intentional anti-cheat protection. 

Cheat-Engine is pretty difficult to use with this game, I couldn't get it to find any of the values I was searching for in memory -- Chapter creation points, geneseed, requisition... They are either stored in memory in some strange way, or are intentionally obfuscated.

So the game definitely handles numbers strangely.  It may just be anecdotally strange, or it might be intentional to prevent people like you and me from cheating.

Nah they stored as double. I cheated requisition for the play with your buddies. (Btw sorry guy updates in 24h had work stuff to do)

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: September 03, 2014, 11:05:17 pm »

Huh.  I cant seem to get it. 

I started from an unknown value and tried scanning for increased and decreased values as I spent chapter creation points.  Also tried scanning for decreased values as I spend requisition.

Didnt find anything consistent either way.

Even tried just searching for changed and unchanged values as I spend Req or did other things, and could not zero in on it.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: September 03, 2014, 11:15:05 pm »

Cheat Engine came up with it on the second search. Set value to double, search for the exact amount, wait a turn, search again. Bam. One of my chapters now has 520k req.

E: Well, had. Now has around a dozen battle barges and a junkload of lesser ships on the way, and much less req.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 11:20:08 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: September 03, 2014, 11:29:08 pm »

oh, you're waiting turns.  I was just trying to do it from the 'buy guns' screen.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: September 04, 2014, 12:21:55 am »

Eh, that worked, too. Just search for the exact amount of requisition and make sure your value type is set to double. Works just fine on my end, anyway.

E: Also, two UI things learned: You can hold down shift to buy equipment in batches of five, and you can hold down the mouse to continuously buy. Sincerely wish there was a simple "buy X amount", but that definitely takes a lot of the pain out of it.

E2: Incidentally, someone remind me: Is there some kind of list somewhere detailing what the various bits of equipment do? What's the difference between corvus and aquila armor, ferex?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 01:07:42 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: September 04, 2014, 03:38:43 am »

My guess with no basis would be no difference. Corvus armour is the "beakie" armour that some chapters use which has a conical helmet while Aquila is the most common type of armour. While I think they were made several centuries apart, so you'd think Aquila would be stronger, on the tabletop there is no difference and serves no purpose other than variety. I assume it's the same in the game.

Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: September 04, 2014, 05:26:31 am »

While I think they were made several centuries apart, so you'd think Aquila would be stronger, on the tabletop there is no difference and serves no purpose other than variety.
Apparently both were developed during the Horus heresy [1], which  narrows the window to about a decade.
Fun fact from the same article: Adepta Sororitas (female space marines in service of the Ecclesiarchy) legitimately have -4STR.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: September 04, 2014, 05:46:47 am »

While I think they were made several centuries apart, so you'd think Aquila would be stronger, on the tabletop there is no difference and serves no purpose other than variety.
Apparently both were developed during the Horus heresy [1], which  narrows the window to about a decade.
Fun fact from the same article: Adepta Sororitas (female space marines in service of the Ecclesiarchy) legitimately have -4STR.

Makes sense as they have not been bio-engineered like the Space Marines. I don't think it's got to do with their gender :P

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: September 04, 2014, 07:37:04 am »

Makes sense as they have not been bio-engineered like the Space Marines. I don't think it's got to do with their gender :P
Oh, I'm not saying it's not properly justified. I don't (surprisingly for me) even think it's sexist (the WH40k universe arguably has more gender equality then our own, I have no beef with their writers). But it's true.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: September 04, 2014, 07:43:47 am »

According to that page, the sororitas power armor increase their strength (but not as much as the spacemarines armor due to them being bioengineered to interface with it while the sororitas is still mostly human) and protect as much as the spaceguys one.

But then if that superhigh tech armor increase their strength and still result in some -4 malus to it, how is it then for a regular imperial guard ? -10 strength ?
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 288