Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 230 231 [232] 233 234 ... 288

Author Topic: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!  (Read 798485 times)

DerrickMoore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!
« Reply #3465 on: September 20, 2016, 10:23:06 pm »

Vect's dick, what is happening ?

The usual. A total stranger finds this thread for CM, parachutes in then starts a good ol' freak out for zero reason and causes a flurry of conversation in a thread that hasn't gotten regular posts in months.

Not the first time this has happened, nor will it be the last.

Although the consistent editting of posts to redacted status is certainly delightful. Always enjoy a poster who can stand by what they say, AND who continues to post in the thread.

Was it me? I think it was me. I havnt checked back here since that last post of mine, I was making art. Well, here is my dropbox link to what I've got. I'm just an artist, and I really like the WH IP.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mxsmrh06bqidyzq/mock0009.jpg?dl=0

ok, here  is concept for a galaxy map screen, important Planets are listed on the left for "quick jumping" to the zoomed in planet's location. There's around 1,000,000 worlds represented in this map, no idea of the actual number. White pixels represent a "world" of some sort, Black and Blue pixels are empty space or gas clouds. The far right is "the warp" where fleets traveling through the warp are shown, instead of having a location on the galaxy map.

I still cant stop thinking about CM. Here's a link to the rest of that folder so you can see my progression so far. I figure if I make enough art, maybe I can entice some coders a "Loremaster" and some writers. other artists too, my goal would to be to have only fan-made art, nothing stolen from GW or other artists. I'd especially like some font suggestions, the one I'm using is crap, but free (so long as I keep the original creators readme file with the font). Or maybe there is a project I can join?
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ux3jr8zl9zzkb6p/AAByOaHgBB7tIkosXBKQYL01a?dl=0

It's not peffect, but I'd like some feedback. Also, I'm almost totally immune to your snarky behavior, as I'm asking for crtiques and I also know I'm the baddest motherfucker here.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 12:23:29 am by DerrickMoore »

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #3466 on: September 21, 2016, 12:02:23 am »

If you delete every one of your posts after getting a reply or two to them on a public forum, especially if you're here to share anything, ask for help, etc. then you deserve to be shat upon.
Especially since he kept it up afterwards. Stop showing mercy to the weak, if he can't handle seeing his old posts because they embarrass him then he shouldn't post anywhere until he handled his posting problems or changed his style of posting, he seemed to be willing to do neither.
No, this attitude isn't critical at all. The whole 'if {x}, then deserving {y}' is based on understanding what's going on--like the basis here implying some kind of maliciousness (which is reasonable in a way given the publicity of a forum, then one deleting their own posts, because it may imply some spin of phrase or turn of idea). That kind of happening could however also be because of anxiety or other manners in play--not merely malicious intent or anything negative. But calling it weak or already condemning the other person does not make a good impact unless you can seriously speak FOR them rather than AT their actions. If people had asked--which is something I can possibly never know given only part of the posts in question being quoted--then it may be better to reason it out (ie They might've deleted their posts because they were passive aggressive and the ensuing responses in return were :-\ or >:( , but deleting it makes the responses seem like the cause of the backlash is on them, rather than one's own behavior).

Regardless, given the lack of context, that is one major factor in why these things can't really be judged unless those who do know the context explain what's going on reasonably. It's better to drop the whole thing but also be able to explain it in a justified way for other interested readers to understand what's going on--if at worst, condemn the attitude rather than the person. You can't suitably judge them because their interactions may not be up to par just because of that.

That the point matters:
Honestly I sort of think the implication that you can't allow your words to remain or that you'll dictate what people do with words you post openly in a public space is more "toxic" than anything he got in return.
Impressions also matter. Context matters.
There's no point making an issue out of this despite the tempting feeling of impacting it further :O Moving with learning from it in a beneficial way would help a lot.

And I'm saying all this because of caution towards one's personal perception :P I take things literally at times, so when I see people saying 'others deserve THIS' because of vague implications that they didn't state directly...it doesn't come off as helpful both for the person on the receiving end, or the one thinking that's the best way to think about them. I don't like it when these impressions continue and add more bias to people who have been burned out or further any kind of conflict, indirect or otherwise, especially if it's going to be something that someone will find to be suitable in interacting with others if there are better ways in approaching the situation. :-\
That or I'm being too literal ._.

[...]
But the reality is, my Ignore list is now almost 40 users long, maybe this just isn't the place for me anymore.  It has been some good times since 2006, but I think there are fundamentally unresolvable problems with anonymous forums.

I think I'm out guys. I'll buy you a beer if we ever meet up, but I'm through with anon internet chatting.[...]
Regarding the nature of the internet--any place has people with varying natures and attitudes; improved handling situations in interacting with anyone like that in one's perception is better overall than ignoring them just because they're in a certain community if you can see that they're reasonable to talk with. If one thinks that there's an issue with other people--it's best to bring it up in PMs if it's persistent, and understand their position or why they react that way. Every person is affected more in general by firsthand experiences; but if communication is improved, it can overcome the many problems stemming from these things.

About this game and people going to make it--encouragement can be done, within reason depending on the actions. I pretty much liked the development of this game, and I can see that there's that people can get the mindset of bias or otherwise based on their experiences on these kinds of projects burning out middleway. That doesn't mean Snark is the best response, as it isn't that helpful if it's the only thing you've to offer :P A post can be filled with thoughts; let it be the best you can give at the time being.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 12:32:13 am by Tiruin »

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3467 on: September 21, 2016, 02:14:06 am »

Dear god Tiru out of nowhere.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3468 on: September 21, 2016, 02:35:56 am »

What is Tiruin doing in grim darkness of this thread?

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3469 on: September 21, 2016, 06:16:20 am »

Bay12 is the only forum I visit or interact with. Literally the only one, and the reason for that is because the community is great. Most people's points are well thought out, everyone's pretty supportive, and the occasional bantery argument never turns toxic. However, it does that whilst never pandering, censoring or getting too PC.

More than that, it's a great way to see and support new games in development with people being helpfully critical and enthusiastic.

However, part of supporting that development is calling people on what they've done and a bit of transparency. That's a must for an anonymous forum, if you don't have that accountability behind claims then it doesn't make any sense. I could start a thread up saying 'I've converted DF adventure mode into a full VR action adventure' and without people calling me on it, it'd just end up being complete nonsense.

By posting on this forum, you have to accept people will be critical of you and your ideas. I don't think we were harsh or unfriendly, but if your first post is 'made an awesome game - none of you guys get to see it though' then expect a bit of backlash. It's pretty much the same as when a new dev comes on and their first post is a 'buy my game' post.

However, not only did FP act really weirdly and basically derailed conversations by deleting old posts, but he also sent me a PM with a big tirade telling me I was 'perverting' what he'd said. Not quite the same attitude that we tend to get around here. I'd welcome him/her back with open arms if they came back and played normally, but until then good riddance

Puke don't leave. How will I have my sub par knowledge of games ridiculed? How will I look for dry yet insightful comments? I'll just be left with...urgh...Nenjin.  :P
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3470 on: September 21, 2016, 06:54:34 am »

What is Tiruin doing in grim darkness of this thread?
I posted in here before. :P So I see it popup in my newbox...which is pretty much filled with threads that I should read more but I'm really busy. :-\
But yeah, I'm just concerned that by mention (offhandedly maybe or emotionally?) of people making decisions about the forum community as a whole just by actions of folks in a thread...because context is totally important, can leave a mark just because moods happened.

That or I'm just stern about wording. ._.;

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3471 on: September 21, 2016, 07:48:01 am »

I had a few paragraphs of insight for you Tiru, but it got boring and meandering.
So I scrapped it.

But I'll just go with I disagreed with a few things from your recent post.
But to actively refute them will take an energy I just don't have when it comes to arguing against you.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3472 on: September 21, 2016, 08:29:15 am »

If it's to me, you always know you can PM me. :P
But if it's about the issue with that person and what had happened--I believe you know the context more than me as your posts followed what had happened more. If it's about anything other than personal things, you can post away. :O (If it's a point on Lyk--he has a point; there's nothing to worry about in posting in a public forum, and then having it quoted by another person. I was just cautioning against certain words used because that's really abrasive in nature to be said that way [or it's just my culture o_O]).
But yeah: PMs. :D If anyone has criticism to say, PMs are one of the best ways.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3473 on: September 21, 2016, 09:53:12 am »

Back in 2000 when I first started posting on forums I would stick my foot in my mouth (more often than I do now.)

At the time I went "well I guess I can just edit it out...."

But I realized it was dishonest. Real life doesn't allow for that. Ever since then I never edit my posts even if I deeply regret what I wrote. (I'll add through edits but rarely if ever will I subtract. Especially when someone has already reacted to it.) Not only does it screw up threads when half the context just disappears....you gotta take responsibility for what you choose to say on the internet. Just like in real life.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

DerrickMoore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3474 on: September 21, 2016, 11:49:01 pm »

I still want to do art for a CM kinda game.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gfja5ifaycwxb89/TITLE0004a.jpg?dl=0

The Emperor on his Golden Throne.

I kinda am basing this Throne on some of the earlier pics form Rogue Trader... Anything I could find, but I especialy like Jon Blanche's Emperor best..... and Chris Crapato (or whatever his name is) I like the least. actually I really dont like that guys stuff at all.

But, I could use some feedback on this... like was it better looking before I added in the nimbus of light? https://www.dropbox.com/s/pqzf64ym9x670c8/TITLE0003a.jpg?dl=0

Still needs all those wires comming out of his head and body... but before I can put those in, I gotta figure out if I should take out or leave in the glowing yellow bits

I also spent some time on the galaxy map, made a better strike cruiser icon, maybe, I have no idea... I never played Battlefleet

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9vomq3ntf5eyco2/Galaxy0009.jpg?dl=0

and here is an idea of how territories might be shown on this map representing 1 million Imperial Worlds. Hive fleets, an Ork WAAAAGH! and Imperial Crusades are represented with arrows. Quick select stuff, ships, planets, and crusades on the far left.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ixazy2zc6zd3a5d/Galaxy0009territoriex.jpg?dl=0

and each turn these territories would expand or contract by simple given rules, much like "Conway's game of life"

I"d set the timeline to the Second Founding, becuase it's mysterious, unknown, some primarches are still alive, and welll, here's a thought on Technology and research... Since there is no research, maybe a "dont lose what you've got" take on technology. You must maintain labs or Mechanicum not to learn new techs, but so that you dont lose techs.

no reason why the game cant last 10,000 turns... my lonest Civ and Total War games often go to 500 turns/ticks, and 10,000 turns would only be 20 times as epic as my most ever epic Total War game.. meaning it's doable... but improbable.

Look, I suck at interface design... which is why I'm asking for feedback, or someone else to design it, and I can make all the little parts and pieces needed.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 10:43:13 am by DerrickMoore »

DerrickMoore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3475 on: September 22, 2016, 03:23:14 pm »

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oi4s2axu8c4qhrs/TITLE00070.jpg?dl=0

So I got this far. (I got the next week off of work,  so I'm going to spend 2 days on each one try and have 4-5 nice portfolio pieces from this week, and whatever fun stuff I can think of. The Emperor counts as a portfolio piece since I worked on Games Workshop stuff in the 90s)

And I did some research and learned about a free font that anyone can use (perfect for 40K), its very very similar to one that GW uses, but fan made on one of of those, "we have 10 million fonts" webpages  http://www.1001fonts.com/caslon-antique-font.html

I guess I should mock-up a squad screen next. Im hesitant, since I havt drawn a space-marine in 20 years. ..
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 01:31:04 am by DerrickMoore »

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #3476 on: September 23, 2016, 02:52:22 am »

and each turn these territories would expand or contract by simple given rules, much like "Conway's game of life"

I was working at a space conway, can give gode around if needed:
http://lorenzoboccaccia.github.io/ASpaceOpera/

(uses the real mass map of the milky way to control growth, that's why the blue empire expand that fast while earth, yellow up center, remains a dot for long)

DerrickMoore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3477 on: September 23, 2016, 10:45:30 am »

I was working at a space conway, can give gode around if needed:
http://lorenzoboccaccia.github.io/ASpaceOpera/

(uses the real mass map of the milky way to control growth, that's why the blue empire expand that fast while earth, yellow up center, remains a dot for long)

LosBocca, that's awesome, that almost exactly how I pictured it could look in my head, (only I didn't see any "jets" or "flying saucers" or other common Conway's shapes,) but the expansion looked really cool. I feel like I was not having such a silly idea after-all.

I'm art-side, but my programmer buddies reassure me that coding a Conways is not beyond my capabilities, I can "script-kiddie" my way around somethings.

Like it's been mentioned on this thread more than once, I do not want to "bite off more than I can chew" so, I gotta think what I might actually be capable of, what's within my lore-knowledge-scope and my art/scriptng ability and what kind of game I can do with that and still be fun for some people (with the hope of generating some interest and getting a small group project going)

I figure what I can do is an "Imperial Citizen life simulator" where you play a single insignifigant human on one of the Emperor's million worlds, and each turn a "Conway's" thing happens on the galaxy map, and each turn your character ages a year and gets to make some decisions. Like, "Hey, you just turned 10 years old, do you want to study real hard and work hard for the benefit of all mankind, or do you want to join a gang and fight alot and try as hard as you can to get yourself killed (a good option for a recruiting world)"
 Each turn, the universe would age a tick, progression and expansion would be superslow, and probably wont effect your game much (Think basic, very simple stuff, that could get expanded later, but just thinking of what I can do right now). The "life simulator" sets the stage for what could become something more like CM.

At the end of your life, you'd get a little story/synopsis of what you did, and how you hindered or helped mankind. I guess Im thinking about a turn based visual novel, with hopefully some strategic and rpg elements. The player should feel small, insignifigant, and the dangers and hugeness of the galaxy should make the player feel crushed, hopeless, and only faith in the Emperor (galls my traitor blood to say that)..... nah, can't even say it... Your corpse-god, what has he done for you lately?

I forgot to add, that say you lived the perfect life of a loyal citizen, rose to a high rank, and did everything right and got way lucky, then maybe, maybe you might be able to influence, like a single dot on that galaxy map. To ilustrate how insignifigant even a very important person is compared to the vastness of the Imperium.

Legal stuff, I can make it legal, I'm 100% sure of that. That's a main goal, to show a fan made 40K can be made legal. (I dont mean legal to sell, I mean "right to exist" kinda legal, like legal to make, unlike meth)

So, anyone working on CM, need some art, etc?
here;s some older art of mine from games and mods, hey a few of the images in there are not actualy mine(the minecraft screenshots, etc), but fan made re-makes of my stuff, which I think is cool
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/f7dzrjh6owrlimp/AACLyrh0P2pNO1vMirV00X0ga?dl=0

« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 11:46:07 am by DerrickMoore »

SkeletusAurelius

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise the Huemanatee!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3478 on: September 23, 2016, 12:54:54 pm »

:o

Darkbenonator

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3479 on: September 24, 2016, 06:44:22 am »

Hi,

I am a C# coder and I was wondering if there are any source codes I could look into?

Pages: 1 ... 230 231 [232] 233 234 ... 288