This weekend.
- 8 (50%)
Next week.
- 0 (0%)
Next weekend.
- 3 (18.8%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 89

Author Topic: Minecraft: Dwarven Stronghold - see last post  (Read 125653 times)

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft: Dwarven Stronghold - New thread!
« Reply #210 on: August 25, 2014, 05:10:01 pm »

I'll be a guarddwarf.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: August 25, 2014, 06:14:37 pm »

I'll be something generic in the military, along with Architect.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: August 25, 2014, 06:44:50 pm »

I'll be a marksdwarf too, I'm a good shot but not nearly as good at melee combat. I can hold my own hand to hand, but probably not for long.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: August 25, 2014, 08:34:02 pm »

Anyone have 2 stacks of redstone I can use to finish off the arena gates?  I'll likely use less, but I'm specifying that amount to be safe.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

HooliganintheFort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: August 25, 2014, 09:10:53 pm »

Lighthouse has started construction, estimated time to complete is two days.

EDIT: Nevermind, the lighthouse is almost complete. We just need to move the mountain, and set up the lava. Also, the position of Lighthouse Master is now open.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 09:15:26 pm by HooliganintheFort »

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: August 25, 2014, 09:12:52 pm »

Gates are completed due to contribution of redstone by Dark Star.  Gate control is accessible in the announcement booth, entrance on the east side of the Arena.  All that remains is to fill up the moat and the arena is done, sans any reinforcements that could possibly be done.
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: August 25, 2014, 10:07:30 pm »

Gates are completed due to contribution of redstone by Dark Star.  Gate control is accessible in the announcement booth, entrance on the east side of the Arena.  All that remains is to fill up the moat and the arena is done, sans any reinforcements that could possibly be done.

We should make sure to reinforce the fighting area to stop prisoners from fleeing.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: August 25, 2014, 10:10:17 pm »

We should make sure to reinforce the fighting area to stop prisoners from fleeing.

And figure out how rune destroyed the reinforcement on the pistons so easily.

By the way, you owe me 2 iron for that, rune.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: August 25, 2014, 10:15:55 pm »

And figure out how rune destroyed the reinforcement on the pistons so easily.

By the way, you owe me 2 iron for that, rune.

I just realized how he did it, actually. See, the piston body is protected, but the piston head is a different block. Fixing this might require sticky pistons and other, protected blocks.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: August 25, 2014, 10:53:57 pm »

The Plan to Monetize Arena Fighting, for Fun and Profit

This is a writeup of my plan for getting a net income from arena fights, assuming we get visitors (so not until we grow a lot more).

1. Cost to Watch

This part is simple - it's just charging a small fee for watching. However, the majority of seat would be free. The ones that would have a low price would be those with good views or mechanisms that can affect the fight (usually restricted to fortress members only). The control room could be available for viewing/controlling stuff from, but at a cost of a few diamond.

2. Ranking System

For each contestant, there will be a place on a wall for their stats (number of games played and ranking). The ranking will begin at 100, and then wins and losses will change this. The formula will be determined later, depending on how quickly we want it to change. Getting to different ranks will allow people to face different people, though - if there is anyone there in that range, people will be limited to a range of 100 either way (this can be adjusted when we finalize this).

3. Costs and Rewards of Entering

The main way that money will be earned is through this particular system. To enter a fight, there will be a slight cost. As the ranking goes up, the cost will also go up, with the lower-ranked person usually having to pay less (so that people can go from iron to diamond more easily). People will also be allowed some debt, but they will lose ranking if it gets too high (and can eventually be barred from playing). The winner will earn more than he put in and the loser will either earn nothing or only a little bit (loser earnings vary by ranking; my suggestion is starting off high, and then have it go down to zero or near zero). While they both earn some things, the total amount that goes back to them will be less than what they paid. Where does that extra amount go? To us, of course!

A Sample Earning Plan*

Format: rank #, cost | winner earnings | loser earnings

<101, 1 stack of food that we don't have or 2 iron | 2 of (1 iron, 1 stack of food) | 1 iron or 0.5 stack of food
101-200, 3 stacks of food that we don't have or 5 iron or 32 redstone/lapis or 1 gold | 2 of (3 stacks of food, 6 iron, 20 redstone/lapis, 1 gold) | 2 of (1 food stack, 3 iron)
200-500, 10 stacks of food, 32 iron, 1 stack of redstone/lapis/coal blocks, 10 gold, 1 diamond | 3 of (1/5 of what was given total, rounded up) | 2 of (1/8 of what was given total, rounded down)
>500, an inventory of food,  16 iron blocks, 5 stacks of redstone/lapis/coal blocks, 64 gold, 7 diamond | 4 of (1/6 of what was given total, rounded up) | 3 of (1/10 of what was given total, rounded down)

*Numbers may change

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: August 26, 2014, 12:25:26 am »

The arena is great, I see we need a buttload of Magma for the moat, I'll pick up a stack of buckets next time I'm near a forge. (I left a whole stack back at dumathoin :( )
What are our plans for factories?  I'm going to shove a stone furnace down wherever since they're so cheap, but where will we put the rest? Are we going to have a central factory room like most citys have, the advantage of this being the ease of finding and upkeeping the factories. Or shall we decentralise the factories and have individual workshops for each different one, simulating a working city.
Perhaps emulating dwarf fortress workshops, we could have workshops that do nothing like soapmakers or siege workshop and whatever.
It's an interesting idea, however we could just make the roleplay workshops with fake factories.
EDIT: In response to what Zan said yesterday: WTF, snow doesn't fall on slabs??? Ok it's nice that we can make snow free paths but it kind of looks bad the way things are now when the snow only picks small areas to colonize. Perhaps we should avoid using slabs for detail in areas that will be snowed on, for paths Its good as long as we make for large slab only areas. The parts that have patterns which will be snowed on we should replace the slabs with bricks or something.
Edit: I have added my own 2 buckets to the storeroom, anyone else with buckets add them so the guy doing the magma can collect more :P... Oh and, I love the flowing magma, lets keep it like that :D
EDITEDITEDIT:
I see 2 fully grown spruce and i found 3 saplings in the storeroom, I'm going to spread them around but when we get more saplings, I'll put a small forest in the flat area south east of the arena. Total haul is 15 logs and an additional 8 saplings.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 12:56:24 am by MarcAFK »
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #221 on: August 26, 2014, 12:36:32 am »

I like the sound of a decentralised system. Spread everything out in a maze of trap-filled tunnels.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: August 26, 2014, 12:43:57 am »

You can still use slabs if you make them double, thus making a full block.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: August 26, 2014, 12:47:51 am »

You can still use slabs if you make them double, thus making a full block.
OOH, It's the transparency thing? Ok that's good because I like the current paths.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: August 26, 2014, 10:25:30 am »

well, because ladders, my buckets and Marc's buckets have ceased to exist. i landed on a ladder the wrong way going down to collect lava, and they just went poof when I came back to collect them.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 89