Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14

Author Topic: The Bay12 Island Project  (Read 16602 times)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: The Bay12 Island Project
« Reply #180 on: August 20, 2014, 12:55:32 pm »

...still listed for $202 (plus $250 transaction fee).

Yeah, but:

Quote from: From slightly below halfway down.
The land is zoned for commercial use.

We're not really planning a commercial venture.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 20, 2014, 01:13:46 pm »

I would need more perspective in how this would work

Standard disclaimer: I'm not an attorny, even if I were I'm not your attorney, I'm a random guy on the internet you don't know and will probably never meet so due dilligence is advised, etc.

Depends on what you guys decide to do, and how much you trust each other. And presumably on the dollar values involved. If trust is low and dollar values are high, the simplest solution is to get together on skype, talk to each other, get a feel for who has a better handle on these things, then set up an escrow account. Basically the way that works, you find a third party (google escrow company) to hold money then release it based on an agreement stated in a contract you all sign. If you buy on ebay, for example, that transaction has to be made from a single account. So you each put money in escrow, then a designated somebody makes the purchase, after which money from escrow is released. Or, if the purchase is made via direct contact with the seller, you can reasonably skip the escrow process by simply coming up with a group purchase contract and everyone pays the seller directly.

Before you get to that point however, you should probably discuss the nature of ownership. Simple joint tenancy is probably not a good solution here. I think if I were to make a recommendation, I'd suggest you create an artificial legal entity, then have that entity make the land purchase. So none of you would own the land personally, but as one possible example you would own voting stock in a nonprofit corporation that owned the land. That way you can decide in advance how things will work so as to avoid legal difficulties later: what if somebody wants to transfer or sell their ownership? What if new bay12ers want to join in later? What happens if land values unexpectedly skyrocket 10 years from now? Who pays property taxes? Etc.

But on the other hand, again...it really depends. It's possible none of that will be necessary. For example, we had some people in the thread earlier saying they'd personally contribute thousands of dollars. If the final dollar amount turns out to be significantly less than that, it might be reasonable for one person to simply buy the property themselves, and say "hey guys, here's where it is. Don't do anything illegal." That massively simplifies everything. But it might not be practical if you're each putting in a bunch of money and the final total is more than any of you can do on your own.

This is why you guys need to get together and start talking to each other. How simple or complicated it and what needs to happen depends on a lot of factors.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 20, 2014, 02:05:11 pm »

I don't think 7 people spread out and maybe interested is likely to be sufficient at all here. Idea is pretty much dead/at least non starter IMO unless that cluster becomes 20-30 people.

Even at $500 auction, keep in mind that land is also often tax valued for things like its farm potential, which could be many thousands of dollars and thus hundreds of dollars a year of property tax. Just not seeing it.

If people want this to be mroe realistic, then go advertise the thread more widely throughout the forums, and bring in enough extra people.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: August 20, 2014, 06:09:08 pm »

I didn't expect anything more than a place to go camping every so often.

I don't think 7 people spread out and maybe interested is likely to be sufficient at all here. Idea is pretty much dead/at least non starter IMO unless that cluster becomes 20-30 people.

Even at $500 auction, keep in mind that land is also often tax valued for things like its farm potential, which could be many thousands of dollars and thus hundreds of dollars a year of property tax. Just not seeing it.

Also this. I've thrown my hat in, but as it stands I don't really see it actually happening.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 20, 2014, 09:45:17 pm »

I didn't expect anything but a good discussion. As I've stated before, I'm not a viable candidate. Half of my pay goes to health insurance, and the other goes to necessities, and I work 5 days a week and have worked 7 days a week. It's a cool discussion, but that's all I'm putting into and getting out of it.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: August 20, 2014, 09:54:05 pm »

I'd throw in a couple of hundred Euros. Provided I like the place and plan, of course ;)
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: August 20, 2014, 10:12:29 pm »

What I'm getting out of this discussion is that we need more non-expedition DF meetups.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #187 on: August 20, 2014, 10:15:21 pm »

Wasn't there one of those a few years back? I seem to recall a story about ten or so guys who went round to Toady's house to say "hi".
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: August 20, 2014, 10:23:10 pm »

If they were invited, that sounds like a cool party...

If they weren't that sounds unimaginably creepy.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: August 20, 2014, 11:03:54 pm »

To their credit, they didn't eat his cat.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #190 on: August 20, 2014, 11:19:45 pm »

Eating Scamps is punishable by death in most countries.
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: August 20, 2014, 11:23:27 pm »

Eating Scamps is punishable by death in most countries.

And life in prison for the rest.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: August 21, 2014, 02:45:12 am »

If you make the 'S' on "Scamps" lowercase that sentence becomes even better. :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: August 21, 2014, 03:14:45 am »

i forgot what was a decent latin version of "posting to watch" so i'll do just that

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #194 on: August 21, 2014, 04:06:03 am »

Dispositis vigilare, according to Google.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14