Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14

Author Topic: The Bay12 Island Project  (Read 16635 times)

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
Re: The Bay12 Island Project
« Reply #105 on: August 19, 2014, 06:31:23 am »

Likwise, whilst I'm unsure of the seriousness, this has my full (non-monetary backing). Living in the wrong country for this kinda puts me off chipping in.
Tho I will second the points for cheap tax, and an area that doesn't get too hot. And who knows, I might even visit :P
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

tuypo1

• Bay Watcher
  • i really apreciate a good analogy
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 19, 2014, 07:20:41 am »

we could get something off the west coast of australia and take in aslyum seekers so they dont have to go through Australias bullshit asylum policys do some good in the world
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 07:24:15 am by tuypo1 »
important project progress

have some basic idea of whats going to go in it

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 19, 2014, 07:24:10 am »

I'm fairly certain that this is not serious, but a serious discussion of the logistics is nice to have without it devolving into blowing up the moon using kitten powered missiles from Mars. I would not be a candidate to actually move onto B12 land, at least not from the get-go. I am a family man, and raising kids is hard enough in the city, let alone in the wilderness.

As far as the embark site goes, I'd prefer A) wooded area, although it doesn't have to be super dense, B) fresh water, preferably running, and C) either a cave or a rocky outcropping to get started with.

A)Woodlands have lots and lots of resources. Food is plentiful in both plant and animal form. Trees don't grow without water, of course, so you're very likely to find that, too. Wood, of course, is highly useful and versatile, even in its raw form. That said, log structures (which are the obvious candidate for permanent structures unless we're going to mine clay for bricks, or quarry rocks or something, and both of those require industrial output to get the quantity we need,) take a ton of logs to make. We're talking hundreds, if not thousands, depending on just how big you want to build. I'd imagine that there would be a lot of people who don't want to live in a one-room house with everyone else. Therefore, we need lots of wood. Therefore, we need lots of trees. And chainsaws. Stumps are extremely hard to break up, and you'd hope that someone would show up with a truck powerful enough to just yank them out of the ground with a chain. Maybe we could use Sirus' party truck.

B) This should be a no brainer. We'd need a lot of water, depending on how many people we have. Drinking, cooking, sanitation, cleaning clothes and bathing, growing crops (even in a garden,) watering animals if we domesticated any or had pets, the list goes on. Water is essential, and running water is likely to be cleaner than swamp water (and less mosquito infested,) unless you live downstream from industry. If the stream is big enough, it's also a food source. Hello, fish, water fowl, and other animals that need a drink. That's not to mention all the other resources you can gather from water sources, like small stones, reeds, and other marshy fibrous plants that you're unlikely to find elsewhere. A lake would be pretty awesome, too. Canoes aren't super hard to make unless you want them pretty, and fishing from the surface of a lake is not only relaxing, but also resource gathering at the same time. Aside from that, some of you guys swim. I don't, but it's a nice consideration.

C) Shelter should be another no brainer, as it takes time to build a permanent structure. You have to have somewhere to stay in the mean time, and you don't really want to freeze to death or get eaten alive by insects (or other wildlife) while you sleep. Furthermore, caves are often home to other water sources, as well as small animals that you can hunt or gather other resources from. Bat guano in particular is extremely useful, and despite my dislike of bats, they're also pretty good to have around to keep the insect population in check. Caverns in general can also have exposed resources of things that can be very important, like rock salt. I wouldn't go striking the earth without putting up proper supports (which, again, is going to require a lot of wood that we won't have and possibly metal bracings for the beams,) but harvesting surface deposits should be relatively harmless.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 19, 2014, 08:48:33 am »

I can't tell if this is serious or not, but regardless, I am glad my suggestion that bay12 buys an island has caused such a large amount of discussion.

EDIT: I thought of a way of raising funds!

Grab all the escaped lunatics and sell their organs!
But escaped lunatics are all either new members scattered around the earth or just spambots. Would you want spambot organs in your body?
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 19, 2014, 09:17:29 am »

I can't tell if this is serious or not, but regardless, I am glad my suggestion that bay12 buys an island has caused such a large amount of discussion.

EDIT: I thought of a way of raising funds!

Grab all the escaped lunatics and sell their organs!
But escaped lunatics are all either new members scattered around the earth or just spambots. Would you want spambot organs in your body?
Who doesn't?

Who says that spambots' organs will be sold for use in people? Obviously, their spam should be harvested and sold in cans.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 19, 2014, 09:21:29 am »

I don't see why so many people are complaining about having to camp in the cold.  Just toss on some layers.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #111 on: August 19, 2014, 09:21:33 am »

B) fresh water, preferably running

I wouldn't count it as fresh if it wasn't running, personally.

C) shelter

It's surprisingly easy to put together a workable shelter if you're not shy about cutting down trees, but this sounds like a good plan anyway.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 19, 2014, 09:28:19 am »

In terms of contributions, I'd probably only give about $20-25, but since I live out in the woods and my dad is a carpenter, I could provide a chainsaw, pickaxe, hammers, screwguns, loads of nails and screws, shovels, saws, and contact with someone who actually knows practical knowledge of building structures.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 19, 2014, 09:40:25 am »

I'm currently located in Iowa, but I'm planning on doing a lot of moving anyway. In fact, I'm still assuming this will never happen, but if it does then I assume moving to it would involve completely uprooting my life at the time one way or the other, so provided it's within the continental United States I don't care, and I'd consider Canada (at least enough to figure out whether or not it'd be practical).

Things I Require
- Temperate climate. I do terribly in heat. I've lived in the Midwest, so I'm no stranger to blisteringly hot summers, but I'd need the other three seasons to be at least reasonably cool. Routinely at or below 70F (21C).
- Some kind of plan for utilities. I don't need running water and a public electricity grid hookup or anything, but a workable plan for drinking water, bathing water, and some kind of power supply is a must. Also waste disposal.
- An Internet connection.
- Shelter plans. I don't think we're likely to be able to build a big enough place to live with our own labor, and I'm skeptical that we'll find an affordable place with wood rights and an adequately mature forest to do log construction anyway (certainly not without devastating the local ecosystem). I think we should plan on using modern construction techniques and materials for this, and expect that we will not be doing the construction ourselves. I don't know what to build in particular, but it sounds like we should aim for something sturdy and defensible, to the extent that's financially viable, even though it's unlikely we'll ever have need of the "defensible" part.
- Road access. A dirt road is fine. It's even fine if we need to have the road built, as long as we budget for it.
- Low property taxes.

Things I Want
- Woodland location, for reasons other people have gone into. If we can't do this, we need a plan for some other fuel supply. We don't want dense woodlands, and we don't want old ones, because we're going to have to clear it for building (we may need to contract a lumber company or something).
- Cold winters - specifically, reliable snowfall. I just like snow. This will complicate matters for people staying during the winter if we don't have the shelter yet.
- Flowing water supply.
- Less than an hour's drive to a nearby town. LordBucket's criteria on this are good.
- Mountainous terrain on part of the property. This is absolutely an inferior requirement to the necessity of building space, since we can't afford to alter the landscape. Purely aesthetic.

LordBucket's brought up some good points. I'll pledge $2000 to the actual fundraising, then, and reserve the rest for Unexpected Shit.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 11:01:20 am by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 19, 2014, 10:09:41 am »

B) fresh water, preferably running

I wouldn't count it as fresh if it wasn't running, personally..
“Fresh water” isn’t synonymous with “potable water”. He means “not seawater or brackish water”.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 19, 2014, 10:22:12 am »

* I would prefer the place not be completely covered in trees. I personally used to own some forest land in Lake Arrowhead, and however nice it sounds in theory, it can be difficult to build on because the trees get in the way. If it's big enough and has a couple areas with trees, maybe a river and some empty plains, that's ok, but a complete patch of dense woodlands is trouble we don't want. Have you ever cut down a tree? I have. It is not fun. Also, this idea of using on-site wood as building material...yeah, that's not as easy as dwarf fortress might lead you to believe. Also remember we're not going to have power outlets, so no power tools. Go to your garage and cut through a single pre-cut 2x4 with a hand saw, and then come back and tell us how you want to cut down trees and use them as building material.

Chainsaws man. When I was 12 I built a shack in the forest on our property over the course of a week. It was shit, but it's not impossible or too much work.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 19, 2014, 11:27:31 am »

And if we can five people to come down, and bring a friend for a week, we should have no trouble building something halfway to decency.

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 19, 2014, 11:39:08 am »

Just buy that island thats completely covered in snakes. Should be cheap, right?
I don't think Australia is for sale. Not for that price anyway.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 19, 2014, 11:44:49 am »

http://www.landwatch.com/Matheson-Ontario-Canada-Land-for-sale/pid/200622391

52.75 acres for 10,000.

Only surface rights, but still better than most deals we've seen.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 19, 2014, 12:05:21 pm »

It does sound like we have a lot of Canadians in the thread.
Canada still has that ol' pioneering spirit :P

10% of the American population but still a huge land-mass...

Anyway, I'm just here to point out to y'all the Open Source Village Construction Set. It is by no means complete, and I think it's dead, but what's there might be useful.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14