Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: At War with the Elves!  (Read 1339 times)

Brent Not Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
At War with the Elves!
« on: August 16, 2014, 07:37:43 am »

I embarked, choosing a civ that is at war with the local elves. I'm thinking: hey, that'll just be more fun, right? Not like they ever trade anything useful anyway, and I like a good siege.

So of course, by the time I get through the first winter, I've completely forgotten all about this, and half my dwarves (still just seven) are out gathering plants and lumber and stuff. When: "An ambush! Curse all friends of nature!" Which I suppose means the elves are here.

But looking around: five dwarves with elven names. No actual elves to be seen.

Update:
Second squad, one dwarf and four goblins all working for the elves. Still no actual elves spotted yet. They must be masterminding this attack from a hidden bunker at an undisclosed location. One dwarf is dead; the rest got inside with the drawbridge raised. Due to an unfortunate miscalculation, the farms and booze are on the wrong side of the drawbridge. Morale is low.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 07:58:22 am by Brent Not Broken »

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
Re: At War with the Elves!
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 07:49:26 am »

Did they attack you wih elven tactics and wooden swords and bows?
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

Brent Not Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 08:20:24 am »

They have the wooden armor and weapons. Not sure what elven tactics are, but they started from ambush.

YHVH

• Bay Watcher
  • Batshit Insane God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2014, 10:43:37 am »

I embarked, choosing a civ that is at war with the local elves. I'm thinking: hey, that'll just be more fun, right? Not like they ever trade anything useful anyway, and I like a good siege.

So of course, by the time I get through the first winter, I've completely forgotten all about this, and half my dwarves (still just seven) are out gathering plants and lumber and stuff. When: "An ambush! Curse all friends of nature!" Which I suppose means the elves are here.

Update:
Second squad, one dwarf and four goblins all working for the elves. Still no actual elves spotted yet. They must be masterminding this attack from a hidden bunker at an undisclosed location. One dwarf is dead; the rest got inside with the drawbridge raised. Due to an unfortunate miscalculation, the farms and booze are on the wrong side of the drawbridge. Morale is low.
These aren't dwarves, these are dwelves, the forbidden child of a dwarf and an elf. Kill them at all cost, preferably something dwarfy.
So, now I have a moat filled with magma AND patrolled by ghosts. It is quite nice actually.

TheHossofMoss

• Bay Watcher
  • "Man muss Heu machen, solange die Sonne scheint."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2014, 12:53:41 pm »

Update:
These aren't dwarves, these are dwelves, the forbidden child of a dwarf and an elf. Kill them at all cost, preferably something dwarfy.

They are abominations, and they must be purged from the gene pool!
On the Fifth Day of Axemas, my love saved the fort from...
Five sieging Werebeasts, four Giant Dingoes, three sneaky Thieves, two drunken Black bears, and a Titan killing spree!

Torrenal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2014, 01:01:10 pm »

Update:

He's still got only 7 dwarves.  I don't know that he's had time to weaponize socks yet...

Best he just stick to what works for now.  A pint of lava or a squad of wandering undead.
//Torrenal

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2014, 06:01:30 pm »

Update:

He's still got only 7 dwarves.  I don't know that he's had time to weaponize socks yet...

Best he just stick to what works for now.  A pint of lava or a squad of wandering undead.
//Torrenal

If you are doomed you must lure them inside, and seal the drawbridge. They must share the same fate.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

ddenney1211

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2014, 11:19:14 pm »

Hey!!! Be a true dwarf!!! Use your wits to make a giant array of cage traps to ensnare the filthy degenerate traitors! then sacrifice them to Armok in a volcano!!! or by some other messy means, maybe release them in a corridor that they can't escape to use as target practice for your archers

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2014, 12:52:50 am »

Or do as the last guy suggested and seal them away inside, then embark again a year later after they've all died of dehydration and infighting and sweep out the corpses before reclaiming the fortress for the good of all dwarfkind!