Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Raising Claw/Tooth damage?  (Read 693 times)

deepspaceprobe9

• Bay Watcher
  • "Personal" Text
    • View Profile
Raising Claw/Tooth damage?
« on: August 13, 2014, 10:01:36 am »

Which tokens affect the damage done by claws and teeth? I think it may be in the size, but I'm not sure. If it is, then how would I change that?
   (*) Stopped zombies from interrupting your sleep to ask if they can help you with something

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Raising Claw/Tooth damage?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 10:04:31 am »

They're just cutting implements. The shear and edge values of the creature's NAIL and TOOTH material do a lot, but so do the properties of the attack itself. The velocity token (nothing to do with recovery times) is just a straight-up multiplier to the amount of exerted force.

deepspaceprobe9

• Bay Watcher
  • "Personal" Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 10:13:43 am »

Where would I find these tokens?
   (*) Stopped zombies from interrupting your sleep to ask if they can help you with something

deepspaceprobe9

• Bay Watcher
  • "Personal" Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 10:17:46 am »

UPDATE: Where do I find the velocity token?

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 10:21:41 am »

Well, the materials of all creatures start out as templates in material_template_default.txt, but changing one of those would change them all. Instead, you should use the [SELECT_MATERIAL:] token inside the creature's own definition to overwrite the important bits with more appropriate values.

The attacks themselves are declared separately for every creature. Just scroll down until you start seeing stuff that starts with [ATTACK:]. I don't think many creatures have the velocity token by default, that's [ATTACK_VELOCITY_MODIFIER:xxxx] where 1000 equals 1x amount of force.

Look at how creatures do things with these tokens to see the pattern. The wiki's token listings are your other important tool.

deepspaceprobe9

• Bay Watcher
  • "Personal" Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 10:30:07 am »

Thamks, this is very helpful.

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2014, 03:52:21 pm »

There are also ATTACK_CONTACT_PERC and ATTACK_PENETRATION_PERC, which will help. Lowering ATTACK_CONTACT_PERC will, I think, lower the contact area of the attack. Which increases puncture damage but makes it harder to lop things off, etc etc. ATTACK_PENETRATION_PERC is just a measure of how much of the bodypart goes into the target when you hit it. I think more penetration is always better?

See http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Creature_token#Attack_Tokens for more details. They don't know much about what these tags do, but we have guesses.

The sawr fortress mod gives appropriately outsized toes to raptors, but they're still called 'fifth toe's claw' instead of 'FOOTKNIFE' or something more dramatic.

YAHG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2014, 06:50:34 pm »

Lowering ATTACK_CONTACT_PERC

This seemed to help my Octorok bludgeon people better, I imagine them kinda stabbing people with their tentacles :)).