Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Someone contact this guy about making us a new DF soundtrack :D  (Read 1866 times)

dwarf_reform

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_BUTCHERABLE]
    • View Profile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4ixAfJ1LuI

WORLD'S BEST GUITAR PLAYER!! (Or at least that's what the video's title claims, anyway.. I said that maybe he's the best Puss-n'-Boots-drinking-leche-at-sundown-guitar player in the world..)

I watched this video and.. it doesn't take much to notice that he could make us a pretty fancy new (alternate!) music track for DF (for free, of course..) Not that I've got anything against the current track, mind you, beside that I hear it sometimes when I'm not playing DF (like in the middle of Wal-Mart, or the woods, or in the background of some of my dreams).

Anyway, I mostly just wanted to share the dwarfly nature of (most of) that video :>

Xazo-Tak

• Bay Watcher
  • *Camping forever*
    • View Profile
Re: Someone contact this guy about making us a new DF soundtrack :D
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 02:40:23 am »

Too over-the-top for a RTS.
I'd love something by Fox Amoore though; he's done game music before (Couldn't find it though), he's really come into his own as an orchestra composer, and he's pretty handy with a guitar (1:50).
How to have recursive Fun:
Have Fun
Reclaim fort
Destroy your main graveyard with a cave-in

exdeath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 07:11:36 am »

We could do a order 1 makov chain music generator, based on df music. So you would be able to have a "infinite amount of songs" based on original input.

If I was a better coder and knew music theory I would try to do that.
:(

How order 1 markov chain work in the case someone here doenst know.
imagine a song like this:
But before I post the song,  imagine this (1|9 ) the first number means the key of piano and the last one the amount of seconds he will press this key, X|X means the song start here and Y|Y means te song ends here. This is a simplified thing, just for the sake of explanation.

Now imagine the song
X|X  1|1  1|1  2|3  1|2 1|1  2|3 Y|Y.

First we select a random thing (including X|X and Y|Y), 1|1 are more present and so will have a higher change of being selected than other stuff.
Got one thing at random and got 1|1
Since I didnt got X|X, I roll the notes that will be before 1|1 (until I generate X|X)  this is based on how original song works, so the choices to randomly pick from are X|X, 1|1, 1|2.
I Rolled at random and got X|X
the song right now is X|X 1|1
Now I go back to first generated thing and generate the stuff after it until I generate Y|Y
This is based on what can be after 1|1 on original song, I rollled 2|3.
The song is now X|X 1|1 2|3
Then I roll again based on what can be after 2|3 and got Y|Y
This means we ended the song and the result is this song:  X|X 1|1 2|3 Y|Y

Of course this is a simplification. While doing that with df song, same notes with different lenghts would count as different notes (as in the example), notes played at different same time would also count as a different note....

« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 07:33:18 am by exdeath »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 08:40:12 am »

I personally like the Shadow of the Colossus soundtrack... its long and slow and epic enough.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Celarious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 09:05:09 am »

I personally like the Shadow of the Colossus soundtrack... its long and slow and epic enough.

Especially some of the ambient tracks, they're pretty amazing.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 11:12:17 am »

https://soundcloud.com/simonswerwer

This guy's DF music is the best.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2014, 12:48:45 pm »

https://soundcloud.com/simonswerwer

This guy's DF music is the best.

Ah, you beat me to it! His stuff is both great and directly DF inspired!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One