Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Necromancers wont spawn!!!  (Read 1119 times)

DizzyCrash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Necromancers wont spawn!!!
« on: August 11, 2014, 02:10:35 pm »

Ok... so I am in a bad situation right now! Iv generated 20 or 30 worlds now and necromancers simply will not spawn, I cant let the world generate too long cause all the mother fu-- civilizations kill all the megabeasts before a single necromancer appears, and if i turn the megabeasts up by even one! JUST one! they start killing a bunch of my civilizations before they have a chance to create more than one town! I even made elves mortal by setting there maxage to like 300 hoping that they would join in the necromantic fun when there time gets close, but everyone kills all the megabeasts before the first elf would die of old age! I can only have 20 megabeasts in a large world without risking my civilizations being killed off! and i only have one of each race with a civ cause thats the way I like it, but its not like it matters, iv duplicated a few civs before anyway and it still doesnt change a thing, so what can I do!? I am stuck! I am just stuck! I cant wait for necromancers to appear in like year 600 or so cause the megabeasts die, and i cant turn up the megabeasts or my people are all dead and I cannot do anything to help this situation I am in!

Is there some token or setting I can adjust to make this all happen faster, or to prevent my cities from being killed off?! I dont know why in this newest update why they made the megabeasts thing so sensitive, but i have never had this problem before in my entire time playing DF...

locustgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Necromancers wont spawn!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 02:22:52 pm »

Ok... so I am in a bad situation right now! Iv generated 20 or 30 worlds now and necromancers simply will not spawn, I cant let the world generate too long cause all the mother fu-- civilizations kill all the megabeasts before a single necromancer appears, and if i turn the megabeasts up by even one! JUST one! they start killing a bunch of my civilizations before they have a chance to create more than one town! I even made elves mortal by setting there maxage to like 300 hoping that they would join in the necromantic fun when there time gets close, but everyone kills all the megabeasts before the first elf would die of old age! I can only have 20 megabeasts in a large world without risking my civilizations being killed off! and i only have one of each race with a civ cause thats the way I like it, but its not like it matters, iv duplicated a few civs before anyway and it still doesnt change a thing, so what can I do!? I am stuck! I am just stuck! I cant wait for necromancers to appear in like year 600 or so cause the megabeasts die, and i cant turn up the megabeasts or my people are all dead and I cannot do anything to help this situation I am in!

Is there some token or setting I can adjust to make this all happen faster, or to prevent my cities from being killed off?! I dont know why in this newest update why they made the megabeasts thing so sensitive, but i have never had this problem before in my entire time playing DF...

Increase the secrets to max and add [RELIGIOUS_SPHERE:DEATH] to humans and dwarf entities. Necromancers are devout followers of Death gods, sort of rouge priests, the more Death gods there are the more necromancers. The tag ensures that ATLEAST dwarf and humans will 99.99% of the time have death gods.

I had the same problem and after doing both, almost every 100 year old world has at least 2 towers.

Also I have no evidence, but necromancers seem to like tundras, plains, and hills......I don't know why.

As for the megabeasts I found that around 10 there are NO entity deaths and 15 entity deaths are very uncommon. Also it seems that now in old worlds goblins steam roll everyone else, I think it's cause of their immortality and aggression, they gain uber warriors, shortening their lives to humanish seems to fix this.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 02:43:36 pm by locustgate »

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 03:14:02 pm »

post your world generation parameters. as for a guess:
Spoiler: REAL SPOILER (click to show/hide)
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 05:44:52 pm »

sort of rouge priests

And their eyeliner acolytes.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

locustgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 05:52:17 pm »

DizzyCrash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 07:20:24 pm »

Nope... I tried it and so far nothing, infact iv done even more, iv made elves and kobolds and goblins all mortal and gave kobolds religion so they would worship dark gods and nothing... How does this work? I let the world gen to year 1000! and still nnothing...

locustgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2014, 07:52:32 pm »

Nope... I tried it and so far nothing, infact iv done even more, iv made elves and kobolds and goblins all mortal and gave kobolds religion so they would worship dark gods and nothing... How does this work? I let the world gen to year 1000! and still nnothing...

Yeah that is realy odd can u post the gen parameters. To be an ass re u sure the civs are alive?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 07:54:44 pm by locustgate »

DizzyCrash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2014, 11:11:01 pm »

My world parameters? Umm sure thing, let me just figure out how to do that.

[WORLD_GEN]
   [TITLE:LARGE ISLAND]
   [DIM:257:257]
   [EMBARK_POINTS:100000]
   [END_YEAR:1050]
   [BEAST_END_YEAR:300:80]
   [REVEAL_ALL_HISTORY:1]
   [CULL_HISTORICAL_FIGURES:0]
   [ELEVATION:1:400:1600:1600]
   [RAINFALL:0:100:400:400]
   [TEMPERATURE:25:75:400:400]
   [DRAINAGE:0:100:400:400]
   [VOLCANISM:0:100:400:400]
   [SAVAGERY:0:100:400:400]
   [ELEVATION_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
   [RAIN_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
   [DRAINAGE_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
   [TEMPERATURE_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
   [SAVAGERY_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
   [VOLCANISM_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
   [MINERAL_SCARCITY:2500]
   [MEGABEAST_CAP:22]
   [SEMIMEGABEAST_CAP:150]
   [TITAN_NUMBER:10]
   [TITAN_ATTACK_TRIGGER:80:0:100000]
   [DEMON_NUMBER:52]
   [NIGHT_TROLL_NUMBER:26]
   [BOGEYMAN_NUMBER:3]
   [VAMPIRE_NUMBER:26]
   [WEREBEAST_NUMBER:26]
   [SECRET_NUMBER:1000]
   [REGIONAL_INTERACTION_NUMBER:52]
   [DISTURBANCE_INTERACTION_NUMBER:52]
   [EVIL_CLOUD_NUMBER:26]
   [EVIL_RAIN_NUMBER:26]
   [GOOD_SQ_COUNTS:24:244:0]
   [EVIL_SQ_COUNTS:24:244:0]
   [PEAK_NUMBER_MIN:12]
   [PARTIAL_OCEAN_EDGE_MIN:0]
   [COMPLETE_OCEAN_EDGE_MIN:4]
   [VOLCANO_MIN:16]
   [REGION_COUNTS:SWAMP:0:0:0]
   [REGION_COUNTS:DESERT:0:0:0]
   [REGION_COUNTS:FOREST:0:0:0]
   [REGION_COUNTS:MOUNTAINS:0:0:0]
   [REGION_COUNTS:OCEAN:0:0:0]
   [REGION_COUNTS:GLACIER:0:0:0]
   [REGION_COUNTS:TUNDRA:0:0:0]
   [REGION_COUNTS:GRASSLAND:0:0:0]
   [REGION_COUNTS:HILLS:0:0:0]
   [EROSION_CYCLE_COUNT:250]
   [RIVER_MINS:100:100]
   [PERIODICALLY_ERODE_EXTREMES:1]
   [OROGRAPHIC_PRECIPITATION:1]
   [SUBREGION_MAX:3500]
   [CAVERN_LAYER_COUNT:3]
   [CAVERN_LAYER_OPENNESS_MIN:100]
   [CAVERN_LAYER_OPENNESS_MAX:100]
   [CAVERN_LAYER_PASSAGE_DENSITY_MIN:0]
   [CAVERN_LAYER_PASSAGE_DENSITY_MAX:0]
   [CAVERN_LAYER_WATER_MIN:1]
   [CAVERN_LAYER_WATER_MAX:100]
   [HAVE_BOTTOM_LAYER_1:1]
   [HAVE_BOTTOM_LAYER_2:1]
   [LEVELS_ABOVE_GROUND:15]
   [LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_1:5]
   [LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_2:1]
   [LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_3:1]
   [LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_4:1]
   [LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_5:2]
   [LEVELS_AT_BOTTOM:1]
   [CAVE_MIN_SIZE:5]
   [CAVE_MAX_SIZE:25]
   [MOUNTAIN_CAVE_MIN:40]
   [NON_MOUNTAIN_CAVE_MIN:60]
   [ALL_CAVES_VISIBLE:0]
   [SHOW_EMBARK_TUNNEL:2]
   [TOTAL_CIV_NUMBER:10]
   [TOTAL_CIV_POPULATION:15000]
   [SITE_CAP:1500]
   [PLAYABLE_CIVILIZATION_REQUIRED:1]
   [ELEVATION_RANGES:0:0:0]
   [RAIN_RANGES:0:0:0]
   [DRAINAGE_RANGES:0:0:0]
   [SAVAGERY_RANGES:0:0:0]
   [VOLCANISM_RANGES:0:0:0]

And there is this whole crud load of numbers and junk which I think will let you generate my custom map, but the map is just a shape, it shouldnt affect the things that appear...

And this is my medium map that iv also been working with and the same result...

[WORLD_GEN]
   [TITLE:MEDIUM ISLAND]
   [DIM:129:129]
   [EMBARK_POINTS:100000]
   [END_YEAR:1050]
   [BEAST_END_YEAR:200:80]
   [REVEAL_ALL_HISTORY:1]
   [CULL_HISTORICAL_FIGURES:0]
   [ELEVATION:1:400:1600:1600]
   [RAINFALL:0:100:200:200]
   [TEMPERATURE:25:75:200:200]
   [DRAINAGE:0:100:200:200]
   [VOLCANISM:0:100:200:200]
   [SAVAGERY:0:100:200:200]
   [ELEVATION_FREQUENCY:4:2:0:1:0:1]
   [RAIN_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
   [DRAINAGE_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
   [TEMPERATURE_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
   [SAVAGERY_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
   [VOLCANISM_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
   [MINERAL_SCARCITY:2500]
   [MEGABEAST_CAP:15]
   [SEMIMEGABEAST_CAP:37]
   [TITAN_NUMBER:6]
   [TITAN_ATTACK_TRIGGER:80:0:100000]
   [DEMON_NUMBER:28]
   [NIGHT_TROLL_NUMBER:14]
   [BOGEYMAN_NUMBER:14]
   [VAMPIRE_NUMBER:14]
   [WEREBEAST_NUMBER:14]
   [SECRET_NUMBER:28]
   [REGIONAL_INTERACTION_NUMBER:28]
   [DISTURBANCE_INTERACTION_NUMBER:28]
   [EVIL_CLOUD_NUMBER:14]
   [EVIL_RAIN_NUMBER:14]
   [GOOD_SQ_COUNTS:6:63:0]
   [EVIL_SQ_COUNTS:6:63:0]
   [PEAK_NUMBER_MIN:3]
   [PARTIAL_OCEAN_EDGE_MIN:0]
   [COMPLETE_OCEAN_EDGE_MIN:4]
   [VOLCANO_MIN:1]
   [REGION_COUNTS:SWAMP:0:0:0]
   [REGION_COUNTS:DESERT:0:0:0]
   [REGION_COUNTS:FOREST:0:0:0]
   [REGION_COUNTS:MOUNTAINS:0:0:0]
   [REGION_COUNTS:OCEAN:0:0:0]
   [REGION_COUNTS:GLACIER:0:0:0]
   [REGION_COUNTS:TUNDRA:0:0:0]
   [REGION_COUNTS:GRASSLAND:0:0:0]
   [REGION_COUNTS:HILLS:0:0:0]
   [EROSION_CYCLE_COUNT:250]
   [RIVER_MINS:25:25]
   [PERIODICALLY_ERODE_EXTREMES:1]
   [OROGRAPHIC_PRECIPITATION:1]
   [SUBREGION_MAX:2750]
   [CAVERN_LAYER_COUNT:3]
   [CAVERN_LAYER_OPENNESS_MIN:100]
   [CAVERN_LAYER_OPENNESS_MAX:100]
   [CAVERN_LAYER_PASSAGE_DENSITY_MIN:0]
   [CAVERN_LAYER_PASSAGE_DENSITY_MAX:0]
   [CAVERN_LAYER_WATER_MIN:1]
   [CAVERN_LAYER_WATER_MAX:100]
   [HAVE_BOTTOM_LAYER_1:1]
   [HAVE_BOTTOM_LAYER_2:1]
   [LEVELS_ABOVE_GROUND:15]
   [LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_1:5]
   [LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_2:1]
   [LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_3:1]
   [LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_4:1]
   [LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_5:2]
   [LEVELS_AT_BOTTOM:1]
   [CAVE_MIN_SIZE:5]
   [CAVE_MAX_SIZE:25]
   [MOUNTAIN_CAVE_MIN:15]
   [NON_MOUNTAIN_CAVE_MIN:25]
   [ALL_CAVES_VISIBLE:0]
   [SHOW_EMBARK_TUNNEL:2]
   [TOTAL_CIV_NUMBER:10]
   [TOTAL_CIV_POPULATION:15000]
   [SITE_CAP:1040]
   [PLAYABLE_CIVILIZATION_REQUIRED:1]
   [ELEVATION_RANGES:0:0:0]
   [RAIN_RANGES:0:0:0]
   [DRAINAGE_RANGES:0:0:0]
   [SAVAGERY_RANGES:0:0:0]
   [VOLCANISM_RANGES:0:0:0]

Now all the mega beasts die within the first 200 years on this one except on a rare occasions... and this one ALWAYS ends in a age of heroes with no megabeasts left, both are on custome maps but again that shouldnt matter at all... its just a shape.

I am running this all on DF 40.06 and I am getting so frustrated... I havent even had a chance to try the new update that came out a few weeks ago cause 99% of my time is trying to generate a world just right and I cant do it..

DizzyCrash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2014, 11:25:55 pm »

Keep in mind, the Civ is set to 10 but i have duplicated my Kobolds for four entities to avoid getting them all slaughtered like they have been in every world iv generated, and i duplicated elves into 3 civs cause i got tired of my elves setting up in a tiny little "Good" aligned forest trapped in some far away place and unable to contact the other civilizations, and thats why civ is set to 10 but i make sure i only have one human and one goblin and one dwarf civ, as i see them as the major players in the world and only need one each.

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2014, 04:37:18 pm »

i tried to gen with your parameters and i did got none too :S changed some values to see but without any luck, please post if you find out as i am interested too what is happening ...
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2014, 08:32:13 am »

So which parameters did you tweak? It looks like you radically changed a load of different variables that will impact biome frequency etc. Have you done anything that would wipe out all civilizations of a certain race or prevent certain biomes from forming all together? Things that come to mind would be messing with the temperatures to the point where creatures melt on the surface of the planet etc. The advanced world generator is very complex. You can completely render a world inhabitable with just changing a single parameter if you are not careful or make it so certain biomes can no longer exist. There are so many unusual variables in this world build that I don't even know where to begin to look for the source of the necromancer problem.

I know high savagery can inhibit necromancer growth. Anything that does not favor dwarf or human success will hurt necromancer numbers as well since only mortal races can become obsessed with their own mortality. How do the humans and dwarves fair with your settings. Have you wiped out or made exceedingly rare their home biomes perhaps? If I remember correctly necromancer towers like plains so if your world is lacking in plains this might be part of the problem. You have some crazy high topography in your world so this could be something to look into. Check to see which biomes you have either wiped out completely with your settings or made exceedingly rare.

If you want the mega fauna to survive longer then increase their numbers but be careful because if you raise them high enough they will wipe out all of civilization. Generally you probably shouldn't run a world more than 500 years in this version. I find 200 or 300 years with double the number of mega fauna works well for me.

What were you trying to accomplish with this world and your settings?

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2014, 08:57:05 am »

I've always had issue running long histories with every version.  Because I like my big beasties and tend to stop at age of myth so I can play with them.

I can usually find towers by 100.  Humans ought to be 'mancing up by the end of the first century.  I cannot say I have seen them in the latest version, I havent actually looked for towers since they flickered in and out of neighbour view a version or 2 back.  Last definate sighting _06 but havent been looking.

Try generating a quick world off regular untouched settings.  Take all the midline quick-options, dont do an advanced gen, medium size, give it a long history.  Pause the generation every 50 years or so and take a look around with the cursors, you can see settlements forming, centering over them in the world view will tell you what they are at the top of the screen under the region name and you ought to be able to see towers going up.  You can 'step' through the world gen like this as long as you are interrupting it manually and not having a cut-out like mb% kick in.

Provided you can generate a necromancer in this version, on any map, then the issue lies with your particular world, and we can begin to examine that.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 08:59:58 am by celem »
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

LeadPaint

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2014, 01:18:14 am »

Just thought I'd stop lurking to say necromancers do appear in the current version. I have seen several maps in which five or more towers are in range of each other by year 300. I haven't adjusted their numbers at all, my normal changes being minerals, volcanoes, caverns(number, z-levels, etc).