Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 210

Author Topic: That which sleeps- Kickstarted!  (Read 368358 times)

Beggars` Sect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: That which sleeps- Kickstarted!
« Reply #1125 on: February 19, 2015, 09:13:22 pm »

I don't believe this game is necessarily Lovecraftian, but I guess the underlying themes are similar.

I only had a brief look at it and should`ve said "inspired" - like other posters here - but there`s little doubt as to what it is based on. Starting with the name, cover image and the whole "plot" (things like orcs are clearly added on top of this). It`s not a bad thing, since like I said earlier the tone seems to be serious - as it should be...and using the whole "corrupt the world" mechanic as a basis for a game is spot on.

The name-dropping itself is unnecessary to create a good yarn in the HPL vein (e.g Alone In The Dark or aforementioned Infra Arcana) and perhaps haven`t been applied here due to copyright issues - there is a Cthulhu board game already and they hold some rights.

Hopefully the world will really be "living and reactive" and procedural elements meaningful, otherwise there might be replayability problem given the game`s short length.

Any word on if there`s a plan for a non-Steam release?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: February 19, 2015, 09:52:58 pm »

It's also gonna be on humble store DLC-free.

Also there are Lovecraft elements but it's really more of a Sauron thing.  Only two of the gods are really Lovecraftian (I had a long tangent about this in the beta forum), Azlan and Moloch.  The rest are more akin to apocalyptic fantasy villains like Sauron, the Dominator, etc. 

In fact, it's possible within the modding system (there's support for sort of "mutators" within a game, like all the rulers are super smart or super aggressive or everyone has a ton of money or whatever) to completely remove all Lovecraftian elements with the flip of a slider.  Elements in the game are either Mundane, Magical, or Eldritch (Eldritch being Lovecraftian) and setting Eldritch to 0 will completely remove them.  If you're really jonesing for Cthulhu stuff you can also increase the slider to make them more prevalent.

As for replayability, the game has a very complicated, currently handcrafted (but eventually will have some procedural elements as well, though the current info looks like they'll still have a handcrafted feel, you'll be able to influence events to suit your own preferences) system which should increase replayability.

Like, one game you might lose because the King of Someplace had his cabal of sages craft a ritual to stop you.  Since the starting conditions are generally the same each game, you can see what'd happen if you made him hate mages, or if you cursed his family or something.  There's a complicated system and a lot of the fun will come from manipulating the various elements and seeing what happens.
Shoes...

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: February 19, 2015, 10:22:09 pm »

I am certainly eager to tinker with the mod system...I have a few ideas

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: February 19, 2015, 11:00:59 pm »

Yeah thanks "Neonivek? That moron... Whoa sorry, I almost took this discussion as something to take seriously" I feel so much love right now :P

--

Anyhow my post, rereading it, was sort of unclear (Well by unclear I mean for some reason I meant to say one thing but said a completely different thing)... What is odd is I remember what I meant, but I cannot find the post I was responding to when I was saying it.

It will be complex and unique on the strategy market.

Ahh misinterpreted that.

Anyhow my statement was more that the game's biggest issue is that it is unbalanced, though it is intentionally unbalanced, and the issue is only its ability to penetrate the strategy game scene, since right now the big thing is "balance to the point of tedium".

Not in terms of game quality.

Heck I have a term I like to call "Over balance" where a game, in seeking balance, will make everything boring.

Yeah I REALLY should have been more clear, but I have no idea why my post was like that. *Looks closer* 10AM!?! I stayed up all night and made a post at 10AM?

---

Though I should say that by asymmetric I mean even the way the different gods go about their business is different. They don't sort of fight on the same plane.

Also if we are going for Asymmetrical RTS games in terms of "Drastically different races" then the king would have to be Command and Conquer Generals... For JUST the Terrorist faction who just outright change the rules on how combat works.

Another asymmetric game is Masters of Orion not because the races are THAT different, but because the races are intentionally unbalanced like heck! Uncreative is like playing on hard mode and creative is probably the most powerful ability in the game.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 11:14:02 pm by Neonivek »

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: February 20, 2015, 07:44:46 am »

It's also gonna be on humble store DLC-free.

I guess you meant DRM free... :D

I am certainly eager to tinker with the mod system...I have a few ideas

Ahhhhh yeah. The possibilites  are endless with regard to creating something _fun_ via modding in this game. New gods, kingdoms, races, cultures, spells, units, agents, heroes etc. etc. We can change the whole gameplay, or even the pacing of the gameplay [IE. long vanilla games].  8)

PS. Endless mode looks epic. I'm sure that I will play in that mode only, when it will be available. It's too bad that they won't add it to the vanilla game, but again, it is a KS goal.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 08:03:30 am by gimli »

ventuswings

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: February 20, 2015, 08:22:11 am »

As for the modding, I'm more interested in scenario building aspect. So much possibilities: Fire Emblem, Song of Ice and Fire etc... so much to destroy!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1131 on: February 20, 2015, 08:35:44 am »

ptw, this is looking very nice. Sad I missed the kickstarter

wer6

• Bay Watcher
  • SCOUT DOESNT WANNA GIVE A KISS
    • View Profile
    • Pirate baaaayyyy!~
« Reply #1132 on: February 20, 2015, 05:19:16 pm »

You know, with a bit of spit and polish, you can possibly mod this to be modern world where your a AI instead of a dark god, that sounds amazing.
Just before leaving, Psysquid quickly summons a Burrito in his mouth.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: February 20, 2015, 05:22:44 pm »

You know, with a bit of spit and polish, you can possibly mod this to be modern world where your a AI instead of a dark god, that sounds amazing.
Could also technically recreate that Daemon book using a similar method.

wer6

• Bay Watcher
  • SCOUT DOESNT WANNA GIVE A KISS
    • View Profile
    • Pirate baaaayyyy!~
« Reply #1134 on: February 20, 2015, 05:51:11 pm »

... Where is the "Daemon Book" From?
Just before leaving, Psysquid quickly summons a Burrito in his mouth.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: February 20, 2015, 07:03:27 pm »

Here you go.

I Hiiiiiiighly recommend both it and its sequel. It's tied with. Mistborn for my favorite book series.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: February 20, 2015, 11:37:32 pm »

As for the modding, I'm more interested in scenario building aspect. So much possibilities: Fire Emblem, Song of Ice and Fire etc... so much to destroy!

Oooooooh, I'd love a sacred stones scenario!
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: February 21, 2015, 03:30:40 am »

DEVLOGDEVLOGDEVLOGDEVLOGDEVLOGDEVLOGDEVLOGDEVLOG
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: February 21, 2015, 03:34:57 am »

I didn't know Eldritch Horrors could squee.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: February 21, 2015, 03:53:07 am »

In special circumstances.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 210