Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 210

Author Topic: That which sleeps- Kickstarted!  (Read 366920 times)

lijacote

• Bay Watcher
  • Lissasa
    • View Profile
Re: That which sleeps- Kickstarting!
« Reply #465 on: September 25, 2014, 06:54:29 pm »

Arcen has also done The Last Federation, if you want to look into that (besides AI War).
Me miserable! which way shall I fly
Infinite wrath, and infinite despair?
Which way I fly is Hell; myself am Hell;
And, in the lowest deep, a lower deep
Still threatening to devour me opens wide,
To which the Hell I suffer seems a Heaven.

KingDinosaurGames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That Which Sleeps
« Reply #466 on: September 25, 2014, 07:18:18 pm »

No communist governments - Republics have a cultural leaning which can be populist which is as close as you'll get.  In The North Burns Aventura is run by the Freemen's Council, which is populist.  Fascist extremism would best be represented by despotism, which are lead by a single strong leader like a monarchy except they lack the cultural tradition to support it, it is simply enforced by strength. 

Yes there are definitely political desires, the Aventurans as a state made up of former slaves have "Liberty" as an ideology which leads them to hate slave states.  However we don't go into any of the more modern ideological constructs, the concepts remain fairly primitive and consist of mostly binary relationships (we like slavery/we hate slavery, strong government/weak government).   

There are no puppet states, but nations can be carved out of other nations which are then generally allied with the power that helped free them.  Napoleon type personalities can spawn, but to get to the state of Total War that one usually associates with Napoleon generally requires some push from the Old One. 

Controversial... well... in a game of Evil you're bound to encounter controversial elements.  We are never very explicit about these things, but the content of some events involve questionable content.
That Which Sleeps
IndieDB| Website | Twitter

Jalak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: September 25, 2014, 07:45:48 pm »

Now I know what I must do; mod in Communism and Fascism the moment I get the editor and figure out how to use it.

So hows the DEMO coming along, by the way?

KingDinosaurGames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That Which Sleeps
« Reply #468 on: September 25, 2014, 07:50:26 pm »

0 progress - like I was saying the better the KS goes the worse for the demo.  Doubtful I'll do any meaningful work on it until next week - we're thinking we want to present some prototypes for the stretch goals to show our approach and raise interest for the KS so that might take priority for a few days.
That Which Sleeps

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: September 25, 2014, 08:37:13 pm »

You're killing us dude!
Shoes...

KingDinosaurGames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That Which Sleeps
« Reply #470 on: September 25, 2014, 08:47:32 pm »

Just trying to break your spirit and corrupt you to the Shadow.  How's your will looking?
That Which Sleeps

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: September 25, 2014, 10:19:15 pm »

How likely is it that a hero just randomly finds your seal?

KingDinosaurGames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That Which Sleeps
« Reply #472 on: September 25, 2014, 10:54:42 pm »

It depends on the Scenario, most scenarios place your seal somewhere that has high danger to dissuade heroes from wandering around without purpose - even if a hero walks through that particular POI they would need to either have knowledge of your rise in advance or the ability to sense your power (which comes from the Sage archetype). 

What generally happens is mid-late quests will begin to appear around you seal based on what you are doing, either recruiting hordes or building fortifications or excavating ancient ruins - these will pull heroes to investigate and see what's going on.  If you play it right, they may come back thinking there's just a great orc king beyond the ruins, or possibly they may return having some suspicions but nothing more, or maybe you take care of them and ensure that no one hears about what they find.
That Which Sleeps

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: September 26, 2014, 12:57:28 am »

Near 18000 dollars, and 26 days left. Goddamn.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Jalak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: September 26, 2014, 01:11:16 am »

Are you planning to see if the Religion stretch goal is going to be met (which it seems like it will) before making the demo so you can put it in? If so, I'm going to be honest and say that I think it would be best if you put that goal in the game after the demo's been "finalized" since you seem to have a pretty solid foundation on which to make the product now and putting religion back in will probably delay everything as you and your play-testers sort through the new systems and the inevitable bugs that come along with it.

I think everybody will be happier overall if the current "build" is based around polishing what's already done rather then add anything game-changing like those stretch goals would. I'm not just saying that because I want to be playing this game sooner rather then later, just that it honestly looks like you have everything you need to make a polished product for everyone to taste and don't need to add any more seasoning just yet, if that makes any sense. Granted, I don't know whats going on over there on your end, so I hope I'm not coming across as snobby or anything like that...

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: September 26, 2014, 01:30:27 am »

Didn't he already say they would polish and release the game in its current state first? Or did I imagine that?

Jalak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: September 26, 2014, 01:41:34 am »

...maybe? I admit I may just be nervous about this whole thing since I haven't been this excited about a game since Spore...God, that game sure didn't turn out as planned.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: September 26, 2014, 01:45:10 am »

Yeah, but this time I've set up wards to repel EA from this treasure.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Jalak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: September 26, 2014, 02:44:39 am »

I mean, it isn't even like the game was particularly bad or that it was all based on promises impossible to keep (since, by all accounts, those early videos showed that what they were planning was totally possible), it was just that we were promised the world and then it never called us back.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: September 26, 2014, 03:29:50 am »

Somewhat related to your unifying hero story - is it possible for the Chosen One to become a conquering hero who unifies the land against you whether they want it or not? A sort of dark messiah who uses fire and blood rather than diplomacy to fight you. Or to have him be feared/shunned by the land, Wheel of Time -style?

I imagine modding this would be necessary for the inevitable WoT mod anyway.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 210