Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 210

Author Topic: That which sleeps- Kickstarted!  (Read 366943 times)

KingDinosaurGames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That Which Sleeps
Re: That which sleeps- in development
« Reply #375 on: September 22, 2014, 02:03:26 pm »

Yep, that was on our "to do" list but then we went into a feature lock down for demo prep.

Pretty simple to do too, but our list of "simple additions" is maddeningly long.
That Which Sleeps
IndieDB| Website | Twitter

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: September 22, 2014, 02:17:02 pm »

Excellent, was sitting staring at my desk at work earlier today thinking that the Kickstarter'd be going up (it was a slow day  :P)!

Pledged.  Have really enjoyed reading all of the discussion about the mechanics and seeing the videos, keep it up!  :)
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

Chosrau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: September 22, 2014, 02:17:38 pm »

10% funded in roughly an hour...I have a feeling this will end well considering there is roughly 718 hours left of the kickstarter to go :P

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Really hope the KS reaches the Endless Simulation stretch goal, considering the advantages to modability.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: September 22, 2014, 02:22:35 pm »

lol touche...That is the goal I am hoping for most myself

Denim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: September 22, 2014, 02:39:12 pm »

You may want to try reaching out again to game journalists. Now that you have some financial proof of people's interest they may be more likely to give you coverage. I've seen rpgwatch cover kickstarters that were less successful in their first 3 days than yours has been in the last 2 hours.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: September 22, 2014, 02:45:06 pm »

dont forget to pitch to youtube/twitch etc streamers as well...they tend to have large audiences and are willing to do game coverage of kickstarters and the like that genuinly interests them.

ERICdb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: That which sleeps- Kickstarting!
« Reply #381 on: September 22, 2014, 03:11:14 pm »

I've been waiting for the opportunity to say "Pledged!" for ages. Now that I've been able I can't stop checking if more people has invested in the game.

BTW, congrats for the well made and good presentation of the Kickstarter page. You also have already an incredible game so the only thing left is some good people willing to make a wise investment.

17% :P

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: September 22, 2014, 03:19:41 pm »

Erg. The fact that the cheapest beta tier is $50 while the "get it 3 months later" is only $10 makes it difficult. Any chance of getting a beta access tier without the hero name/soundtrack/art book for less? I mean I really enjoy helping out with balancing and finding bugs in a beta game, but it's hard for me to justify the cost increase when for that extra $40 I could pick up a copy of Civ V + most DLC or a copy of Dark Souls 2 (or you know, food and gas for a couple weeks). :-\
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

lijacote

• Bay Watcher
  • Lissasa
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: September 22, 2014, 03:44:04 pm »

Gonna have to decide between funding a world builder tier pledge and a lame beta playing pledge. Being a mediocre novice bad ambitious writer, I think I'd have some fun. Maybe best left at a hypothetical level before I can actually figure out anything.
Me miserable! which way shall I fly
Infinite wrath, and infinite despair?
Which way I fly is Hell; myself am Hell;
And, in the lowest deep, a lower deep
Still threatening to devour me opens wide,
To which the Hell I suffer seems a Heaven.

Denim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: September 22, 2014, 03:45:04 pm »

Your kickstarter page appears to currently lack any mention of system requirements. While "That Which Sleeps" doesn't seem graphics intensive, looks can be deceiving, and there are people who simply will not pledge to a game that they are uncertain is playable on their machine.

KingDinosaurGames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That Which Sleeps
« Reply #385 on: September 22, 2014, 03:56:53 pm »

Glad to hear everyone is feeling as enthusiastic as we are - I think the Tiers are pretty much set, it's not fair to move them around (and also I think not even allowed). 

I have to say that making events is fun, but of course you can do that with the modding tools when you get them if you don't feel like paying.  The big difference is that the Event you make as part of the rewards will go out to everyone as part of the General Scenario Events, and also you can specify a unique piece of functionality that is outside of current mod capabilities.  Once we add that in for your event, it is now accessible to everyone - so it builds the game up.  Same thing with someone pledging for Agents, Scenarios - those tiers contribute a decent percentage to the assets required to create this additional content - so investment directly expands the game for everyone.

Good idea on system requirements, we have good support for Low Tier (no transitions and no particles) up to High but we should explicitly spell that out.  Thanks for mentioning.

Youtubers I think we'll hit with the demo phase - do they actually review Kickstarter projects?

We're reaching out to Journalists again today - though it's been a cold reception for the last few weeks (with a few notable exceptions) I am HOPEFUL that the trailer and KS presence will be an in. 
That Which Sleeps

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: September 22, 2014, 04:02:59 pm »

I like the trailer though I dunno how visually exciting it is.  It's like "IN THE FLAMES OF WAR" and we see a town and a wall of text you have to pause the game to read, and a little poof of red.

If you actually pause and read the text and get an idea of what's happening you could get pretty hyped but as is I dunno how really immediately exciting it is.

EDIT:  Oh and I backed of course.  First time ever backing, 50 bucks.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 04:08:41 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: September 22, 2014, 04:04:50 pm »

Glad to hear everyone is feeling as enthusiastic as we are - I think the Tiers are pretty much set, it's not fair to move them around (and also I think not even allowed).
It's totally possible to add new tiers to a kickstarter in progress (though if you add something new to it it's generally assumed that you will grant that same thing to upper tiers as well). I've definitely seen some that have added newer tiers before (including some that have done this exact thing, making a lower beta only tier when a number of people asked for a bit less of a jump between tiers).

That said if it's that set in stone I guess I'll just only throw in $10 and wait the extra 3 months. I just can't justify spending an extra $40 for an art book I'll look at once, a soundtrack I'll probably never listen to, a hero name (which is definitely cool) and 3 months of extra game time.

On the other hand are you guys planning to continue development after the official "release"? I know that there are some teams that once they actually release a game it's an indicator that they are done with it (excepting hideous bugs) and others that tend to treat releases more like a simple 1.0 patch and then continue to go on adding new stuff and content for varying periods of time.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 04:06:22 pm by i2amroy »
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

KingDinosaurGames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That Which Sleeps
« Reply #388 on: September 22, 2014, 04:21:44 pm »

Cthulhu - yeah... I don't know... how to make a trailer for a Turn Based Strategy game.... it really is something I couldn't come to terms with.  What I would want to see is just page after page of events, give me text for days - but we wanted to try to get across the "feel" of playing a full game, which does have that "I am the cause of the world's destruction, though they know it not" - even without any kind of flair to the map.  I thought I failed, but the generally positive reception maybe makes me think I captured some of my enthusiasm? 

All in all, whenever I'm doing anything for marketing I wish I was developing instead.

I can't pledge to anything concrete after release, it's just one of those things where you can't anticipate where you are professionally and personally.  It is my intention to continue development to a point where the game is simply perfect, but that means something different to everyone - and I know I will at the very least release additional scenarios are the first release.
That Which Sleeps

Jalak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: September 22, 2014, 04:23:42 pm »

Just made my pledge, can't wait to see where this goes. Since this is my first ever pledge to a kickstarter, I admit I don't really know what to do now. Do I get an email later asking for details on what I want for the royal tier stuff?

By the way, Since you told me that you're adding a "Jalak the Chronicler" before, can I use my tier bonus to add another hero to show up along with him? My brothers gotten interested in this as well.

All and all, good luck with all this...
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 04:25:45 pm by Jalak »
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 210