Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 136

Author Topic: The Let's go back to Iraq, now without WMDs Thread. About the IS(IS) threat.  (Read 203454 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Three ISIS fighters mauled to death by wild pigs in Iraq
Rashers in al rashad, militant boring boars, haram hamalam bacon marauders, will the memes stop?

Exactly what I thought. Who cares about that....

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Bear in mind, wild pigs(and even domestic ones) can be vicious as hell. They're so common though that people tend to forget this fact.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

Russia wants to impose a no-fly-zone on US plane in the "safe zone" it negotiated with rebels in Astana. My guess is that it's a sop to Turks since the US has been flying a lot of patrol over SDF areas to deter Turkish bombers. It's going to be interesting to see if they actually try to enforce it.

Also, does that mean that Russia is ISIS's air force now :p

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, happenings...

We supplied more weapons and equipment to the Kurds in the fight against ISIS in Raqqa and Turkey is threatening to retaliate with military force. While the alienation of an ally would make it a questionable move, we're allies with so many sides who would rather slit each others throats than cooperate, that alienating someone is just about inevitable.

Also, wasn't arming the Kurds actually something the Obama admin was doing? At least more subtly anyway. Seems more like Trump decided to turn up the dial on it rather than seek a balance.

Besides, Erdogan went and hobbled+neutered his own military capability.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

The SDF includes several different parts, the biggest of which is the Kurdish YPG, but not the only one. The Obama adminsitration was ostensibly arming the arabs components of the SDF instead of the YPG. (Although everyone I talked to seemed to assum that at least part of the weapons would made it to the YPG). Trump just announced he'd deliver weapons directly to the YPG, including bigger stuff like howitzers.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, happenings...

We supplied more weapons and equipment to the Kurds in the fight against ISIS in Raqqa and Turkey is threatening to retaliate with military force. While the alienation of an ally would make it a questionable move, we're allies with so many sides who would rather slit each others throats than cooperate, that alienating someone is just about inevitable.

Also, wasn't arming the Kurds actually something the Obama admin was doing? At least more subtly anyway. Seems more like Trump decided to turn up the dial on it rather than seek a balance.

Besides, Erdogan went and hobbled+neutered his own military capability.

Obama only directly supplied the Peshmerga, not the SDF/YPG.

Also it about time Turkey's position in NATO is re-evaluated, since it is no longer a democratic state.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

Obama only directly supplied the Peshmerga, not the SDF/YPG.

Also it about time Turkey's position in NATO is re-evaluated, since it is no longer a democratic state.

No, no, he was supplying the SDF, but arguing that the weapons were only going to the Arab components of it.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/05/15/528485624/syria-has-been-burning-bodies-to-hide-prison-executions-for-years-u-s-says

Non sarcastic Hitler comparisons are now permitted. Hes gone full Hitler, never go full Hitler.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/05/15/528485624/syria-has-been-burning-bodies-to-hide-prison-executions-for-years-u-s-says

Non sarcastic Hitler comparisons are now permitted. Hes gone full Hitler, never go full Hitler.

It's not full Hitler until he start systematically massacring all members of #ethnicgroup. Executing all suspected collaborator is more like Stalin-level.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile

Stalin had a better taste in moustaches though.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

Stalin had a better taste in moustaches though.

He just didn't have the strong branding instinct that Hitler had, moustache wise. When you think about it it's quite fitting that people can see this :

and immediately know what we're talking about.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

Meanwhile in the Middle East, Egypt has started bombing targets in Libya, as retribution for the terrorist attack on a group of coptic christians yesterday, which killed 28 people.
According to the Egyptian military, they carried out six strikes on bases near Derna, a city in the east of Libya known to be a terrorist hotbed.
Persident el-Sissi declared that the Egyptian army will attack all camps that train terrorist, regardless of which nation they are in.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Meanwhile in the Middle East, Egypt has started bombing targets in Libya, as retribution for the terrorist attack on a group of coptic christians yesterday, which killed 28 people.
According to the Egyptian military, they carried out six strikes on bases near Derna, a city in the east of Libya known to be a terrorist hotbed.
Persident el-Sissi declared that the Egyptian army will attack all camps that train terrorist, regardless of which nation they are in.

What about hypothetical ones in Gaza (because Hamas), Saudi Arabia, (and real ones in) Yemen, etc? Libya is their neighbor, so, obviously they'd have serious interest in what's happening there, but even they don't have the same kind of clout that the US is able to throw around for much further afield.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

An extremely heavy car bomb killed 80 people and wounded at least 350 in the 'safe district' of Kabul, which houses the ministries and embassies. Authorities say they fear the number of dead will likely go up a lot. A fuel tanker truck filled with explosives blew up, damaging buildings hundreds of meters away, and completely obliterating any other vehicles in it's vicinity.

The French and German embassies are heavily damaged. The Dutch embassy is nearby, they report some damage but no casualties. According to the German government, several of their embassy staff were injured, and an Afghan embassy guard was killed in the explosion. Sigmar Gabriel, the German minister of foreign affairs emphasized that the attack will in no way influence the German support of the Afghan government.
The French embassador reports no one was hurt in the French embassy, but there is significant material damage.

http://www.volkskrant.nl/buitenland/zeker-80-doden-en-350-gewonden-bij-enorme-aanslag-in-veiligste-wijk-van-kabul~a4498123/
https://youtu.be/pnW4CRA4esI
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 05:09:57 am by martinuzz »

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

All neighboring countries of Qatar have withdrawn their embassadors, and closed the borders with Qatar. They claim that Qatar supports terrorism, and destabilises the region.
The reason for this is a broadcast by the Qatari news agency, in which the Qatari emir sheik Tamim bin Hamad al-Thani critisized Saudi Arabia, and said that Iran is an islamic force in the region that needs to be respected.

Qatar quickly apologized for the broadcast, saying the tv studio was hacked, and the video was fake.
But Saudi didn't believe that. So now they have kicked them from their alliance that is fighting in Jemen, and have demanded they withdraw their troops from there.
The UAE have given Qatari embassadors 48 to leave the country. UAE and Saudi airliners have declared they will suspend all flights to Qatar starting tuesday.

tl;dr someone hacked a news agency in Qatar, all neighboring countries don't believe that and are close to declaring war on Qatar.

Damn, a new step forward for fake news, it can now start wars.

Inb4 new laws are passed in the US making computer hacking / spreading fake news a crime punishable by drone strike.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 05:02:13 am by martinuzz »

Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 136