Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 136

Author Topic: The Let's go back to Iraq, now without WMDs Thread. About the IS(IS) threat.  (Read 203413 times)

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

^ This. Sorry, wasn't clear enough about that I reckon.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Which I would also stress, is also much more to do with the tales of Umman Manda, the Sea People and the Hittites, the Barbarians and the Romans, every single time China got invaded from outside, retold throughout the ages :P
The story of "the civilized people" being invaded by hardened barbarians from "the edge of civilization" echoes throughout the ages, with as many variations on it as there are mouths to speak it
My favourite one has to be Saxon Kings complaining about uncivilized Viking invaders doing terrible damage to England, unaware that a few hundred years prior, Romanized Britons were complaining about the Saxons doing the exact same thing
Sea People? Are you talking about Phoenicians?
The exact nature of the sea people is a bit unknown, only that they were sea raiders who destroyed many coastal towns in the Eastern Med

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Which I would also stress, is also much more to do with the tales of Umman Manda, the Sea People and the Hittites, the Barbarians and the Romans, every single time China got invaded from outside, retold throughout the ages :P
The story of "the civilized people" being invaded by hardened barbarians from "the edge of civilization" echoes throughout the ages, with as many variations on it as there are mouths to speak it
My favourite one has to be Saxon Kings complaining about uncivilized Viking invaders doing terrible damage to England, unaware that a few hundred years prior, Romanized Britons were complaining about the Saxons doing the exact same thing
Sea People? Are you talking about Phoenicians?
The exact nature of the sea people is a bit unknown, only that they were sea raiders who destroyed many coastal towns in the Eastern Med
Any relation to the Apkallu?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

No, the "Sea people" were, as LW said, sea raiders that looted and burned coastal cities in the Med Sea. they appear in several historic sources, as well as in the bible in the form of the Philistines (Which means Intruders in ancient hebrew) and the most common theory is that they originated in the Aegean sea, mainly Cretes. The Phoenicians on the other hand, were also seafaring people, but of Canaanites origin that concentrated on trade and suffered invasions from the Sea people as well.

As for the Orcs of warcraft, i always assumed they were based on the Mongols. Warcraft 1 box art shows an orc wearing something that is quite similar to a mongol cape and some of their buildings in 2 are basically glorified mongol yurts with horns.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Any relation to the Apkallu?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apkallu

Well I just read that wiki page so I have no idea really what the Apkallu are, but it doesn't appear to have much connection
The sea raiders brought with them tools and such and seemed to be preparing to settle in the lands they conquered, but the lands they were trying to take over were places like Egypt that already had mighty civilizations (and ultimately neutralized the sea people with superior force) so it seems there is not a connection. Apkallu sound pretty neat though
According to the myth, human beings were initially unaware of the benefits of culture and civilization. The god Enki sent from Dilmun, amphibious half-fish, half-human creatures, who emerged from the oceans to live with the early human beings and teach them the arts and other aspects of civilization such as writing, law, temple and city building and agriculture.
It's hard to read that and not get lovecraft vibes from fish people civilizing mankind
Makes sense too given how HPL was a Sumeraboo

On greatly more related news
Turkish PM hints at reconciling and reestablishing relations with Syria, relations that don't involve blasting rockets at each others faces
So Turkey seems to want to mend relations with Russia, and Israel, and now Syria
I'm intrigued what sort of political talks went on to get Turkey to warm up to its neighbours

ISIS says their top commander just got rekt and is now dead, killed by US forces. USA are now trying to figure out why they are willing to admit their top commander just died

In the UK, Parliament is a split on whether to try Blair in court for war crimes by bringing the UK into the Iraq war in light of the Chilcot inquiry

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

the sea people are pretty cool. some theories say they caused the bronze age collapse and no one really knows who they were. all there are are theories.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

Well, with car bomb now being a semi-regular occurence in Istanbul, it seems Turkey finally realized that letting all the Jihadis in Syria was a dumb idea. Also, no Syrian comic will publish poem about Erdogan fucking goats.

In even more surprising news: the US is proposing to establish a kind joint headquarter to coordinate the efforts against ISIS, and against al-Nusra too. It seems the deal is some kind of "US helps Russia against al-Nusra, in exchange of which Russia stop bombing US-backed rebels.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 03:20:39 am by Sheb »

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

Post to meme.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

https://www.facebook.com/freechristianvoicecom/videos/1759289811023335/

Check out what happens when Christians try to set up a church in Egypt.

A lot of analysts says that Egypt is going to be a major source of "refugees" into Europe in the coming decade. a broken economy, rising temperatures, the Nile's dam that Ethiopia builds which might cap some of the Nile's water flow into Egypt and ISIS terrorism will all contribute to that. just hope Europe will get the nice ones and not those pictured in that video.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

https://www.facebook.com/freechristianvoicecom/videos/1759289811023335/

Check out what happens when Christians try to set up a church in Egypt.

A lot of analysts says that Egypt is going to be a major source of "refugees" into Europe in the coming decade. a broken economy, rising temperatures, the Nile's dam that Ethiopia builds which might cap some of the Nile's water flow into Egypt and ISIS terrorism will all contribute to that. just hope Europe will get the nice ones and not those pictured in that video.

Theres already christians in Egypt though, the Coptics.

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, which is even more depressing seeing how they have a solid legitimacy to build their Churches.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

EDIT: Or kidnapped and forced to convert, knowing that they can't go home and return to Christianity because to do so is against the law.

Seems that goes both ways.
Copts converting to Islam are usually advised by the police to take out restraining orders against their families as the Coptic community does not tolerate converts to Islam.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

RIP Christians

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Heres something on where the weapons used in Syria come from. Eastern Europe is of course just one of the many sources.

http://www.balkaninsight.com/en/article/making-a-killing-the-1-2-billion-euros-arms-pipeline-to-middle-east-07-26-2016#.V5iMPXqJJsY.twitter

Naturally I dont doubt for a second that, say, the Chinese wouldnt also provide them with toys should Europeans decide to stop.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Robert Stephen Ford, US ambassador to Syria between 2011 and 2014, told BIRN and the OCCRP that the trade is coordinated by the US Central Intelligence Agency, CIA, Turkey and Gulf states through centres in Jordan and Turkey, although in practice weapon supplies often bypass this process.
Chinese wouldn't provide anything worthwhile, it would be the Russians or Israelis if the US gun proxies stopped selling. I saw on the news one of the balkanite gun lobbyists saying what they were doing did not violate eurolaw or international law, because there was no embargo on Saudi Arabia
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 136