Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 136

Author Topic: The Let's go back to Iraq, now without WMDs Thread. About the IS(IS) threat.  (Read 203639 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Lt_Alfred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Let's go back to Iraq, now without WMDs Thread. About the IS(IS) threat.
« Reply #496 on: November 05, 2014, 07:42:06 am »

So the shiite militias Iraq and the US are relying on to stop ISIS are now turning on Sunni inhabitants, destroying whole villages.

That's old new, these militias have been massacring the sunni population of any town they capture from ISIS, I first heard of this on tv last month I think.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
Re: The Let's go back to Iraq, now without WMDs Thread. About the IS(IS) threat.
« Reply #497 on: November 08, 2014, 09:11:39 pm »

So the shiite militias Iraq and the US are relying on to stop ISIS are now turning on Sunni inhabitants, destroying whole villages.

That's old new, these militias have been massacring the sunni population of any town they capture from ISIS, I first heard of this on tv last month I think.

Iraq a mess of sectarian violence, surprising precisely nobody. More news at 11.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: November 10, 2014, 10:36:13 am »

Looks like mission creep is going to get us with boots on the ground before we even realize that we now truly have 'boots on the ground'.

Though 'boots on the ground' is kind of a vague term anyhow.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: November 10, 2014, 10:47:49 am »

Didn't Vietnam start like that?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: November 10, 2014, 02:49:47 pm »

Looks like mission creep is going to get us with boots on the ground before we even realize that we now truly have 'boots on the ground'.

Though 'boots on the ground' is kind of a vague term anyhow.
Didn't Vietnam start like that?
Are people just now starting to figure this out?

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: November 10, 2014, 03:57:45 pm »

To me, that's a good thing - finally military interventions can get rid of the bad rap, at least partially, that Bush has given them. Plus boots on the ground to fight ISIS are a very desirable thing. Hell, it might even finally lead to an independent Kurdistan.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: November 10, 2014, 04:05:00 pm »

Doesn't change the fact that before ISIS blew up, the people in the region didn't want us to have troops in the region and to generally butt out. They still do, but right now, they need the help of the US.

Also, I don't see any similarities to Vietnam, besides, Vietnam was entirely politically driven, this isn't.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 04:07:45 pm by smjjames »

Lt_Alfred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: November 10, 2014, 04:09:28 pm »

Its either US troops or ISIS, its not that hard of a choice really.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: November 10, 2014, 04:12:27 pm »

Yeah I know, but its the overstaying our welcome part that I'm talking about.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: November 10, 2014, 04:20:54 pm »

Doesn't change the fact that before ISIS blew up, the people in the region didn't want us to have troops in the region and to generally butt out. They still do, but right now, they need the help of the US.

Also, I don't see any similarities to Vietnam, besides, Vietnam was entirely politically driven, this isn't.

I'd say our unwillingness to deploy in force to the region again is definitely politically driven.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: November 10, 2014, 04:25:35 pm »

I'd say our unwillingness to deploy in force to the region again is definitely politically driven.

Only because war exhaustion and we really overstayed our welcome last time.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: November 10, 2014, 05:42:12 pm »

What welcome?
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: November 10, 2014, 06:03:48 pm »

:D
The Bay12 postcard club

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: November 18, 2014, 06:48:07 pm »

Crossposting from the middle-east thread.

And all of a sudden, out of left field, ISIS has taken a town in Libya.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/18/world/isis-libya/index.html?hpt=hp_t2
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 136