Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 136

Author Topic: The Let's go back to Iraq, now without WMDs Thread. About the IS(IS) threat.  (Read 203344 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Let's go back to Iraq, now without WMDs Thread. About the IS(IS) threat.
« Reply #390 on: September 24, 2014, 09:49:12 am »

You guys are a day late, that started yesterday.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Let's go back to Iraq, now without WMDs Thread. About the IS(IS) threat.
« Reply #391 on: September 24, 2014, 03:41:09 pm »

So, a french citizen was kidnapped and beheaded in Algeria to oppose the intervention against ISIS. I guess that's the first western casualty of the war.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: September 24, 2014, 03:44:42 pm »

Can't say I've heard of anything going on in Algeria since...

their independence?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: September 24, 2014, 03:54:40 pm »

So, a french citizen was kidnapped and beheaded in Algeria to oppose the intervention against ISIS. I guess that's the first western casualty of the war.
I do remember some Americans and a Brit being beheaded as well.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: September 24, 2014, 03:56:15 pm »

So how many innocent civilians were killed in those bombing runs huh? :P

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: September 24, 2014, 04:04:51 pm »

It begins.
I wonder if some Syrian government targets will "accidentially" get hit by American aircraft.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: September 24, 2014, 04:07:15 pm »

My wise old grandma always said "if there were no religion, people would just find another excuse to bash each others skulls in"
I've heard it said that if everyone on earth was a white male, the ones with blond hair would find a way to discriminate against the ones with black hair.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: September 24, 2014, 04:09:39 pm »

So how many innocent civilians were killed in those bombing runs huh? :P

Too early to tell, but I'm willing to bet it's a decently low number. ISIS has the courtesy to make themselves plainly identifiable though and tend to run their operations, as I understand it, and generally less like the usual random hodgepodge militias and more like an organized national army. That may change, unless they somehow acquire a way to reliably shoot down the aircraft being used to execute these bombing runs.

I don't know what action, if any, they have taken in response.

I wonder if some Syrian government targets will "accidentially" get hit by American aircraft.

If I were a betting man I'd say no, considering they appear to be telling the Syrians where they'll be bombing before they do it. I've been wrong to place faith in the administration before, though. I certainly wouldn't dismiss the possibility out of hand.

My wise old grandma always said "if there were no religion, people would just find another excuse to bash each others skulls in"
I've heard it said that if everyone on earth was a white male, the ones with blond hair would find a way to discriminate against the ones with black hair.
I suppose there's a silver lining. I don't see a society entirely made of solely of any kind of males (or females) lasting more than 40 years.

Edit: Response extricated from quote.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 06:41:28 pm by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: September 24, 2014, 04:23:47 pm »

Everyone knows the black-haired one are actually gypsies.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: September 24, 2014, 04:39:19 pm »

I suppose there's a silver lining. I don't see a society entirely made of solely of any kind of males (or females) lasting more than 40 years.
Might be implied that only the males get any say in such a society.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 05:35:43 pm by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: September 25, 2014, 06:20:51 pm »

The division headquarters for the US 1ID is heading over. It's a sensible step for coordinating things, but it also feels kinda like a good first step for a real boots-on-ground force.

http://www.armytimes.com/article/20140925/NEWS/309250057/-Big-Red-One-HQ-will-deploy-Iraq
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: September 25, 2014, 06:28:06 pm »

The Netherlands and the breakaway state of Belgium are apparently sending fighters as well.

Six a piece. I have no idea if that makes us relevant or a joke :P

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: September 25, 2014, 07:00:36 pm »

F16's are reasonably big ticket items, although what exactly they're used for is the big question
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: September 25, 2014, 07:28:19 pm »

This reminds me of the Patriot dudes (squad? whatever) we sent to Turkey. I wonder if they ever did anything of use.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: September 25, 2014, 07:53:18 pm »

Might be implied that only the males get any say in such a society.
Fun fact: A society run by women (with male military leaders, but they made virtually no foreign policy decisions other than killing people) was the Mongol Empire. Look how peaceful and tolerant that one turned out.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 136